ANSON REYNOLDS

heyyy
life is lovely and so are you.
-
15
super awesome
oldest sister
showing off bad dance moves in (the best state ever) Indiana
-
you are beautiful
you are enough
-
6.3.20

the brain is as wide as the sky - Emily Dickinson

never admire quietly - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

looks don't really count for much / you can pull it off with confidence / its just me and my confidence - Andy Mineo

"As a rule, he found everything around him interesting" - Timothée de Fombelle

I love to see the red bubble on my notifications box. SO much. Talk to me ;)

A Short Story Colored Like Iridescent Grey (new title suggestions??)

3

The children were yelling. Again. They needed to be more yellow, like her. Instead, they were the red of the indignant and privileged. Maybe if the nurse wasn’t so close to the two-day-old English tea they would behave. If she was green and vibrant, not so lukewarm. The delicate daisy wallpaper flinched as the toddler flung a block against her wall. 

It hurt when they did that. 

She wished the children would line up the way their toys did. Neat rows, straight lines. Like her daisy print, they could serenely stand in a helix formation. Calming buttercup skin with light pink cheeks, teeth white as her trim, oh, she wished the children would behave. An impossible wish, but if they would listen to their old nurse and keep their sticky jam fingers off her, if they deigned to stay asleep for longer than fifteen minutes, if they kept their paints and stick figures on white paper where they belonged. She wished these children would stand still

The nursery reverbarated with sudden silence.

The wallpaper’s print wrinkled in delight.

The toddler stilled mid-throw, ready to launch a small black truck at her older brother. The brother was hanging on the nurse’s arm, crocodile tears frozen on his cheek. Nurse stood with pale lips pursed.

When the children didn’t come down for dinner, the mother came to investigate. Trailing her fingers on a mahogany banister, she slowly climbed the stairs, steam from halfheartedly cooked vegetables floating in her wake. Mother didn’t return either, so more people came. The father, an officer, a reporter, to each the wallpaper whispered, be quiet. Sit down. Go to sleep.

Tranquility gathered in the room like dust
I need some feedback on the title... do we like it? Change it?
Thanks for reading, have a fabulous day, treat your wallpaper nicely, folks!

1

• nolongeractive

Re: Awwww, thank you so much! Your comment made me cry! And it makes me so honored and it just makes my heart swell when people can relate to my music and can find comfort in them; that's why I do what I do. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! You are amazing!

• bhumi

re : thank you, I thought of experimenting a little with the format this time!

• bhumi

re : hi Anson! thank you your piece is lovely too I've written a couple like this too! the title really caught my attention!

also thanks for the suggestion, I realized that later :(

• Cosmogyral

re: i admire yiur encouragement, but my 's' sounds all sould as 'f' through a microphone. it's unfortunately troubling.

• Ramses IV

re: no problem :)

• Ramses IV

re: Eh, I already entered it into the competition and I'm not really that soulful type of writer, you know? My stuff's just sort of...empty-ish? lol. Not at me insulting my own work.
    This piece is awesome and it's so creative to think like wallpaper. Hmm...My name suggestion would be "Daisy Filled Slumber" or something like "Loud Silence".
    Idk man, trying my best to be creative here. *sighs*
    This piece is so good that it's anonymous.

I promise to come back and read this after school!!
    Re- haha <3
    Aw Thank you!!

• nolongeractive

Omg this is absolutely marvelous and I love how emotional it is!

• barelybear

I really like your title as it is! It definitely caught my eye and drew me in. It was helpful to get into the wallpaper’s mindset.
    Re: awh thank you!! I’m glad you found my review helpful, and I love the extra build of tension before the silence! And thanks about the comment on my piece too <3
    I completely agree that the repetitions make the piece seem clunky. Alas though, the poem’s form seems to dictate that. I think maybe I was supposed to repeat the entire line, but I couldn’t quite make it fit. I have so much respect for anyone who can pull off a vilanelle haha.
    Hope you’re having a good day, and didn’t get too distracted in your other lessons :D

I really like this- the descriptions are awesome! As for the title, I like it. Something else you could do would be, "Calm is a colour" (this might be really bad, I'm thinking of it on the spot ok! XD) But anyways, this was awesome and really shows off your writing stlye!