Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

Ok, so this is obviously a joke. Reed, Smith, Bryn Mawr, if you are reading this, I still really want to go to your schools:)

The Waitlist (this is meant to be humorous)

17
I was just waitlisted at all three of my reach schools. And to be perfectly honest, I am perplexed.

My grades weren’t perfect, but I was still in the top 10 percent of my class. My essay was spectacular. It was even chosen as a finalist in the New York Times Personal Narrative Contest. My extra-curriculars weren’t anything special, but I think Robert’s Rules of Order are a ridiculous waste of time.  

My parents always told me I was brilliant. And though I protested, in my secret heart, I had convinced myself I was capable of anything (well, except changing a lightbulb). How many other kids do you know you spend their free time writing about how Hellenistic Christian Apologetics is at odds with the traditional Abrahamic thought-system out of which Christianity was born? I mean, I would be perfect for an overly pretentious university full of spoiled kids who reject practicality like the plague. 

Speaking of the plague, most classes will be conducted online anyway next year. So there really isn’t any difference between the seventy-thousand-dollar universities that waitlisted me and UW. But again, practicality aside, it hurts. 

Also, WTW, this isn’t a social post, it’s a personal essay. Where I show how my inner turmoil reflects our disintegrating society. The admissions committees, the gatekeepers, have deemed me mediocre. They have deprived a very capable, very righteous, human being of the chance to join their ranks. This is how it starts! If Lenin had been given the chance to join the aristocracy history would be very different. You have relegated me to the proletarian masses, but my fuse is lit!   

Awww, I'm so sorry for you! Honestly, a lot of uni acceptances are kind of like a lottery. You're going to do so amazing wherever you go- after all, a name is just a name and you've been going above and beyond your whole life! You know prestige literally comes from the french word for illusion! And don't give up hope yet- you were after all waitlisted, not rejected :) (i hope that helped in a tiny little way)
    RE: Aww thank you! And omg yes it’s so terrible!

• Sophiascb

I mean, I would be perfect for an overly pretentious university full of spoiled kids who reject practicality like the plague.
    I mean- yeah. That's pretty on the dot. What were your reach schools? Just curious, if you don't want to say i totally get it. ;)

Re: Whoaaahhhh that's so weird! Like, no one asks in Australia what college you're going to. I feel like people naturally assume you're not...hah

Hah! Schools don't know what they're missing out on. Hold tight, you'll get there.

And this personal essay is wonderful!

Geez whatever school you get in is gonna be pretty damn happy they let you in. Question, so in America, is it like YOU HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY/IDKWHATYOUCALLITSORRY or like you'll never do anything? Cause in Australia it's totally optional. I'm probs not even going to one.

• lilrams

I know you said this wasn't a social post but I'm treating it a little bit like one anyway. I was also recently waitlisted at every single one of my regular decision schools and felt very similarly frustrated — what did I do wrong? what could I possibly have done to push me over the edge from waitlisted to accepted? in the end, I decided there was nothing I could have done. TL;DR: you are remarkably eloquent, your voice has lots of personality and passion, and college admissions are a scam! (just kidding; as you said in your message, Bryn Mawr, please let me in.)

re: thank you!
    oh good, I'm so glad to hear that!

• WishfulKittyKat1

lkajfdsljjfksaf first of all, I love your writing in general but this one is particularly excellent. I love the mix of the dramatic and the very personal, as well as the humor threaded throughout the piece.

AND the social post thing!!! I relate /very/ hard. I promise i don't intend it as a social post!!! I need to start adding disclaimers of my own :)