magzimum

a writer with a million tabs open on her laptop, looking for inspiration and scribbling on a google document <3

stay sane!

The Bronze Horse

0
There is a big, bronze, and mysterious statue of a horse behind my college dorm. It has a slit for a mouth and is hollow enough for air to whoosh around inside of it.
When you press your ear against its mouth, you can hear the hollow hum of the air inside.
Legend has it that an emperor in the 18th century once lived in the dorms which used to be the hallway of an immense palace. The emperor’s favorite horse was dear to him more than anything in the whole world, and when the horse passed away, he had this statue constructed. He died in grief a few days after, and apparently his spirit roams the bronze horse at night.
But another interesting legend sprung out of nowhere- the legend which portrayed the bronze horse being a bringer of luck. Finals were coming up soon, and students flocked to the bronze horse in the morning in large groups and slipped a wish on a piece of paper into the horse’s mouth. I never believed in this tomfoolery. I studied, and I didn’t care about such superstition. 
“Do you honestly believe in this stupid legend of luck?” I asked my best friend, while she wrote her wish down on a piece of paper and slid it into the horse’s mouth.
“It’s not what you think,” she said. “You’ll see.”
I woke up that night with a tremble in my breath after a terrible dream. I wasn’t in my bed- I was surrounded by a  wall, and I was sweating and gasping for breath uncontrollably as my best friend’s words finally started to make sense. Pieces of paper flooded in heaps below me, and I touched the cold, bronze wall. In hallucinations coupled with chokes and screams, I broke into tears and feverish silence.
There is a big, bronze, and mysterious statue of a horse behind my college dorm. It has a slit for a mouth and is hollow enough to swallow anybody whole. 
When you press your ear against its mouth, you can hear a faint wailing within.