Parisienne

18
Scorpio
Daydreamer, writer, artist and traveller
Coffee addict
Dreaming of Paris

When you know it's a reusable compliment. Haven't done a short poem for a while - let me know if you like it!
Hope you get a genuine compliment today....if you haven't yet then wow you look great and you make my life a better place simply by featuring in it. <3
If you haven't yet then please check out my lil sister barelybear's ode to a potato. It is truly the work of a flourishing Shakespeare with a carbohydrate muse :).

Cigarette compliments

18
His compliments were like cheap cigarettes 
they burnt out quickly
and were frequently passed around

• Sanjana Sunilkumar

Whoa!

• Cornflower Burst

I was going to write "Such a great piece, loved it!" but then I realized I write that a lot, so I decided to write something better. This poem is gold. It takes similes to a whole new level. It's short but powerful, like... Well, like Holly Short from Artemis Fowl, I guess. I'm going to keep an eye out for your work.

• barelybear

Re: still waiting for the letter :c
    I always knew I would be way too good for them anyways ahah. You can only have one Hermione per year, although I suppose Ravenclaws must all be similar...? *sigh* :D
    Oh she will be shaped, don’t you worry
    We’ll be like the Jacksons but for writing dodgy poetry and comedy short stories, but with only two of us. We’ll be like Jedward??
    Gah, on second thoughts, perhaps a solo career could work to my advantage :p

• barelybear

Re: I would be honoured if you would perform at my comedy show! And, ofc, you can be maid of honour and charm everyone with some more funky tooting. (Hmm maybe that imagery isn’t so great haha).
    *sigh* but no romance yet. But we hold out. Hopefully I’ll get to do NCS this year, and what better place to meet the love of my life??
    Yes yes we are training her well, the little minion. I give her a couple more months before she has mastered sarcasm, then another three before she falls in love with writing :)
    Ummm quote errr yer a wizard (at all those exam questions) Becca :D
    So go forth and thump down that exam room door and turn the examiner into a half pig and hen eat a massive, badly made cake :)

• barelybear

Re (because I forgot this last bit): ah oh dear I keep snorting at comments in front of my parents and they give me the judgiest looks. Like “can’t believe I raised this thing” lmao
    My little sister has started making dark jokes and dad jokes, and I could not be prouder :D
    Though I think that salad cream comment stemmed from an over-watching of James Acaster compilations...
    Wait okay fish fingers that could work. Okay. But not salad. Never salad.
    Well I think that’s it now :D have fun!

• barelybear

Re: hehe one day, one day I will have world domination, and I will not be so weak as to lose power because of love :D
    And don’t worry hehe. I’m glad you’ve popped back in, but I know for the next few weeks I’m probably just going to be doing the minimum reviews because I’ll either be exhausted or revising ahah. So I completely get it, there’s a lot to do ah. Yes, while you win poet laureate, I will play you a celebratory tune at the royal Albert hall c:
    See you around, and on the other side of exams, sis :D
    Ellie

• barelybear

You’re back!! Did you have a nice Easter?
    Mine was spent with plenty of chocolate, trying to push away any thoughts of revision :p
    And I managed to pass my piano exam :D
    Hope you’re having a great day!

• Alias 3

Damn girl! This piece is just on another level. Loved it a lot!

• Dragonfly

This is so clever! The metaphor fits perfectly!

• barelybear

Re: lmaoo I swear it’s a reflex. Writers block? Write about tea :D
    I haven’t drunk nearly enough today ahaha. Eternally grateful for your support, even if it is slightly tainted by the sour tang of another vinegar-based acquaintance.
    “Deliciously zingy,” it calls. Not only that but it advertises itself as both kosher and vegetarian. What rubbish. I don’t trust that sauce as far as I can throw it (which, considering its beige lumpy glory, is not far at all).
    :D anyways, hope you’ve had a great day!!

• WrenBirdWrites

A lot in so few words, love this.

• SamRose

Re: Aw tysm!!!

• sunny.solaya

re; thank you so much. everyone on this site is- incredibly welcoming and kind, you especially. I am glad I know I have someone I can talk to, if needed. the same goes for you.

• Zirong

ohhhh I love this metaphor so much!!! It is really clever and craftily captures what reusable compliments are like.

re: my exam week is FINALLY OVERRRRR!!! AHHHH(somehow just wanna shout out loud now lol) The last five days were just crazy... I'm glad that I can spend more time on things I like now(until my Mid-year, which is soon... *sigh*) Anyway I'm happy to know that you're alr back in college! How's it so far? Did any interesting event happen?
    haha actually it depends on the time of a day. I think buses in Singapore are the most crowded in the afternoon. I prefer buses with a few people over empty or crowded buses coz it feels secure(empty buses can be really scary Imao) and it's wonderful to have a lot of "private space"(since people here like to sit far apart if there are a number of seat choices) in a "public" tranport :)
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that your English teacher was so rude to you then! I always think teachers do play a role in determining whether we're interested in a certain subject haha. My physics teacher in secondary school was just...I have no comment for her...it just seems that she hates most of the people in my class for some reason... And I started to hate physics so much after a while lol. Fortunately my current physics teacher is super nice and I don't hate it anymore(though not quite interested either haha I much prefer arts over science)
    Oops just realised I strayed too far away from the topic of discussion XD -- YESSS I do agree with you that there should not be any wrong interpretation of arts! But I do think there can be a "best" one(like maybe a most reasonable one? I'm not really sure but I feel I can always strive for a better interpretation of artworks) Hamlet is definitely hard. One of my friends was learning it some time ago and she said it was insane :D
    I totally understand what you mean by "sometimes I wish we could just enjoy the stories for what they are". Analysing things can be really mentally exhausting when we simply wanna relax our minds through reading a beautiful piece *sigh* I'm glad your lit class is fun though -- y'all must've had a lot of interesting and amazing discussions! :)
    Hmmm gonna try the green tea shampoo soon :D I visited the Body Shop one Christmas and it was like jsiorjalklerjlkthkljrlk -- words cannot describe how pretty the whole store is!
    I wish you'll have a super lovely term too! Looking forward to your reply <33333

tons of love,
    Zirong :3

• Avril

Wow this is actually so profound. I love the metaphor of cheap cigarettes! Reminds me of one of those guys whose always hitting on multiple girls...haha.

Ooooh this is absolutely beautiful!! Great job at getting tons of emotion across in such few words- love the metaphor!

• JonesyL123

ooh, short and sweet! Such a great title btw.
    re: tatwd has so many fantastic quotes, mine has got to be "here's the thing about life: it goes on," the one you mentioned caused one of those moments where you have to put the book down and stare at the ceiling tryna soak in what you just read hehe. I will admit that the art here in Bristol is truly fascinating, I just love it!! Spray painting souds so awesome, what kind of stuff do you like to paint?
    thanks again for your really kind words,
    Lucy :)))))

• barelybear

Re: ahhh thank you!!! Really really glad it’s over ahaha. Now it’s just Netflix lmao.
    Hope you’re having a great day :D

• kathryn siena

re: thank you. I'm so sorry that happened to you with your ex. I feel I will definitely take you up on your offer to rant, and I am extending the offer to you as well. I'm always here if you need someone to listen to you:)

• barelybear

Ooh how I enjoy a little bit of bitesized poetry :D
    Awhsjskks you put me in the message box! Love you so much, big sis <3
    Ahhh you would be such a suave French fille haha I can imagine you with coffee and croissants and a little stripy shirt and beret.
    Lel I managed to get through my scripted performance without breaking down and/or knocking out my scene partner, so, in the grand scheme of things, we did alright. We did Twelfth Night, which was pretty lucky because my character, Viola, is hella self-conscious anyways, so yanno, the shaking was alright.... :p
    Definitely been a relief to get it over with :D
    (I will be putting that flourishing Shakespeare quote on the cv)

• psithurism

re: Ahh! You're so sweet and encouraging! Thank you. :)

• psithurism

It's just the worst when you can tell they're not being genuine. <3