Sunday

sorry if I ignored you: I lost my laptop
15
middle sister of 8
Ravenclaw
Catholic
INFP-T
scatterbrained
est. Feb 2021
trying to learn to review so lmk if you want one
big fan of Megan Whalen Turner and Gregory Alan Iskaov
:)

I wrote this for school. We were supposed to be emulating the style of Sandra Cisneros (the house on mango street). I'd love any feedback!

Latin

5
Latin
My older sisters, they used to learn Latin. In elementary school, private school, back in Texas. Then, they went to high school, used their latin to learn Italian, learn Spanish.
My sister, Katherine*, she went to college, far away, in the mountains. She learned Latin again, used her Italian to learn Latin, reverse from before.
My cousin, Martin, he went to the mountain college too. He learns Latin but he’s not so good. Katherine, she helps him with his Latin.
My sister, Maria, she’s got all sorts of problems, heart problems, and school problems, and sleep problems. She has to do school online… but she’s still learning Latin.
My sister, Clara, she likes to learn languages. She knows Italian, Spanish, Greek. She goes to college, not so far away. It’s on a mountain, but we don’t notice.
This spring, they say, we will all learn Latin. Katherine, and Martin, and Maria, and Clara, and me. We will start from the beginning, they say, square one.
Katherine and Clara, when they come home from college, they comment. They look and say...
I’d forgotten how small it is.
Somebody should change the light in the bathroom.
Why haven’t these dishes been washed?
Spider eggs?
They say it… like this isn’t their house, too. Like they’ve never seen it before. They say it with shocked mouths, wide brown eyes, as they slip on shoes so their clean feet don’t have to touch the floor.
But then they say we will learn Latin and I am content.
*changed the names

• Livsnjutare

re: In that case then, yeah! It might have really been for the best! And good luck learning Latin! It is such a beautiful language!

The pacing of this story was great! The ending was so sad but unfortunately happens a lot- you put emotion into this well and (at least from my perspective) wrote a little sibling’s pov really well! and the last line also shows how the home may have been very simple and they grew up modest because the girl didn’t really care about the comments! (great way of showing and not telling with that)

I really love this! The simplicity was perfect and beautiful!! Great job!
    Also lol this is funny but my mom used to teach Latin and this year she teaches Italian haha. (we used to live in Italy) She's always telling me to use my Italian to learn Latin lol.

• Livsnjutare

This is really good! I like how you told it how it happened, but also with feelings, too! Also, I have always thought Latin was really cool. Is it hard to learn?