beth r.

... just your average, teenage writer

mornin'
what do u think?

i joined three popular writing communities so you don't have to hehe| an analysis on teen writing platforms

27
    Ah, yes. Writing. Ooh, AND social media? What happens when these worlds collide? And what is the best outcome? Well, due to my lacking of will to write my History essay, I've decided to dive into the world of writing platforms for you (hehe procrastination at it's absolute BEST). 

Table of Contents:
I- Write the World
II- Prose
III- Wattpad
IV- Conclusion

I- 
    Well, if you're reading this, you most definitely know what Write the World is. I think. Anyway, what attracts me to this platform is definitely the community. On TikTok or Instagram, people aren't exactly clamoring to introduce themselves. The close knit community definitely stems from the fact that WtW is so, so small. In WtW's recap, it states that there are 36,373 users. That's pretty good, until compared to Wattpad's *clears throat* 90 MILLION?! That amount of people makes me nervous just thinking about it *laughs in being introverted with strangers*. Anyway, I definitely prefer a smaller community. The prompts are cool, I like the competitions and the peer reviews are a really great tool to grow as a writer. WtW is also extremely monitored by admins. I guess this is good to keep the young community (only 13-19.5) safe, but when my piece about The Beauty of Instant Ramen gets taken down for a conversational tone, I tend to get a bit salty (see what I did there? Ramen? Salty? Hehe). The WtW Guidelines changed about 8 months ago, banning conversational (user competitions, welcome/thank you pieces, shoutouts) pieces. THAT. That really annoys me- because how can you have a community? Without fostering it and the relationships it entails? *sharp exhale*. Welp maybe one day they'll change it back. Anyway, I do love WTW, mostly for the community and the safety it insures. 

II-
    The mysterious land of Prose is something that has peaked my interest. A lot of WtWers "migrated" there after the WtW guidelines were changed (ei. The Great Migration). Out of pure curiosity and for the sake of comparison, I made an account the other day. Here's some things that caught my attention:
  • DMs and tagging- Very convenient for communication.
  • "Social posts" are allowed.
  • You can get paid? If someone likes your work? *laughs in life savings being a $5 giftcard to a 7/11 in Lansing, Michigan*.
    There's also no age limit. This is something that personally puts me on edge, but could be great for mentorship and all that jazz. There's challenges, too. As for the community, it seems nice. I'm not entirely sure of how big it is, but judging by the like/piece and follower ration, I'd say it's significantly bigger than WtW. What I think Prose and  WtW have in common is the need for constancy in posts to get "noticed"*. The need to publish periodically is key in getting yourself out there. There are moderators on Prose, but not to the extent of WtW.

III-
    Oh, Wattpad. Like I said, 90 million. That's a lot of potatoes. The sheer size of the community kind of makes close-kitted-ness hard, but still present. There are programs to get your writing monetized, and integrated with big-name media, which is cool. There's also competitions partnered with major industries (ie. Nick, Southwest Airlines). There's DMs, tagging, and "Social posts" are encouraged. But the getting "noticed" part is what's difficult. You can have 150 are so "reads" on a piece, with zero comments or "votes" (=likes), due to the fact that there is just so many people on the website. I also think that Wattpad is better geared toward older audiences (the App Store says 17+), as there's no age limit. 

IV-
    In cOnClUsIoN (lol I can sense my English Teacher getting agitated), writing communities are great. Picking one to stick with can be hard, so I hope my opinion shed some light for ya'll. My personal choice is WtW, mostly because I'm sentimental and my friends are very funny and very awesome. 
Stay safe and drink some water, 
Beth
*obviously, joining a writing community is about learning and growing as a writer, not fOlLoWeRs. But, since we're still talking about social media, I included that aspect. 

• books4life

thanks for the feedback! also just an fyi that chapter 17 of zeus' eagle is out! :)

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

I'm thinking about maybe trying to join another writing site in the future, just to see what they're like. This was really helpful. WtW has such a great community though, and is great to be on. Thanks so much for this helpful review. :)

• ~rain~

oh beth, you have no idea how much your conclusion made me laugh *chokes on water*

• elliem

Re: Tysm! It's nice to talk with you again as well.

And in reference to this guide, yes, I agree! Personally, my favourite of the three is Wattpad, although a few months ago I might have said WtW. I miss the old WtW guidelines, and I feel like the community was more pleasant back then. (I'm glad I'm still friends with many writers who shifted to Prose during The Migration, though.) Anyway, I feel warmer about Wattpad after getting a few devoted readers on my WIP, just because they're always respectful when I have to take a hiatus and sweet when I return. (I guess what I'm saying is that Wattpad is a lot more pleasant when you have a few users you can regularly interact with?) Unfortunately, there are some REALLY trashy books on Wattpad, and because it's such a big platform, it's hard to get noticed (like you said). Every once in a while, though, I'll find a book that's actually really good, but it's got quite a small, if not non-existent fanbase. (Why do all the good books on Wattpad seem to go unnoticed?) Btw, your book on Wattpad is one of the ones in which I went "yesss" while starting to read, because FINALLY I found a genuinely great book written by someone with a unique writer's voice and a good grasp on grammar structure. (Plus, it was fascinating to get to see your serious side as a writer, because so far I'd only seen your comedic side, so it was interesting to see those other sides of your talents.) Anyway, I'm so sorry for ranting for so long, and I hope you're having a great night/day! :)

thanks so much for this informative and funny piece! super helpful! i def like how wtw is geared to a certain age group, but i do want to try prose someday.

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Hi Beth! First off amazing piece! I love it! As a fairly new writer to blogs and such, this helped and I’m glad I chose WtW :) But, I should tell you Jacob Houston commented on this piece a mass comment. He sent it on my piece and several of my other friends and he’s done this before, he’s right about you and the piece though :) I’ve had words with him over this but he continues to do this for idk maybe self promotion? I have no idea, but you have the right to know when something like this happens :( Amazing piece though!
    -Delphi now sometimes DJ :)

Re: Thanks Beth <333

Re: Thank you <333 That means a lot. Lol I don't think the actual piece is good enough to win, but tysm <3

• Livsnjutare

This is a wonderful piece!! I haven't been on here long, but I love it so, so much!! It probably is the only writing platform that I will be on, just because of safety reasons. Again, love this!

I had a look at prose, but it definitely doesn't seem as kid-friendly. The pieces I saw were a bit more m-rated lol.

Awesome! Wow you can get paid? Noice cause I'm broke

• ~madeline~

Just agreeing with the comments below... There might be a lot of people on wtw, but it's still a small community and almost all the time it's so friendly. That's why I haven't ever moved. :)

ohhh interesting...i think this was a very smart piece idea! i agree that wtw is my favourite, i don't think the friendship and community can be made up for anywhere else.
    ah also just wanted to mentiin that i love your name so much.it's pretty and cool and kkollnhyhj

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Wow, thank you for your personal experience!! I think WtW is amazing because you darling potatoes are all so supportive and kind <33 So anyway, I’m thankful to have this one of a kind community to share my writing, and I’ve even met some of my best friends here. Okay, enough emotional rambling now... Love this piece!

• almost flora kane

thank you so much for doing this research! i've been wondering about the differences in writing platforms for a while, so this gave me a clearer idea of them. glad you like wtw best though, we'd miss you if you left:D

• nolongeractive

I am so obsessed with this piece and the name is amazing! I love all of the creative expressions of emotions and I love the word choice! You have so much talent!

• V-Rose

This is a really cool thing! And the one thing about the new WTW guidelines... it makes us work to find new, unique ways to communicate those 'social posts'. But again, this is really cool!

• Just_A_Memory

I really like this, and thank you for your thoughts! I absolutely love this community. More than prose (Which I am on) for sure. It may just be a me thing, but you yourself can't repost on there, others do it for you if they like your pieces. I definitely think that the age thing is weird on there. I once got a suspicious DM on prose that kept asking me for my email. Like.. what the heckkk? Basically saying that I agree that WtW is safer, and a better community.

• avezilla

thanks for this! i was still on the edge abt what platform to choose, but this helped a lot!

• Ellington Stone

This was honestly helpful. I've checked Prose and Wattpad out, but they were kinda confusing and overwhelming. WTW!!

• Cosmogyral

lol, thx. I'll be sure to check out prose

• serein

I tried prose for like two days and hated it. Wattpad just scares me. So yeah I agree with you WtW is the best one, but it does have its problmes. Whatever.
    Also I loved this. I don't know how you make an informative piece like this funny, but you managed to somehow. Loved it :)

This is so nice! I joined Wattpad at one point of time (history) and I was genuinely scared by the number of people on it. And prose: I didn't even make it past the homepage. WtW is my choice (And probably will be till I'm 19.5) of writing platforms. The community is amazing here!

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

yeah the conversation thing drives me pretty crazy