Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Scribbling

PROMPT: Sijo

24
I scribbled a sunflower and pretended it was the sun. 
That is what it takes to fabricate an authentic smile. 
Life is made of careless lines, spiders and spirals and sorrow. 

1

• ~madeline~

ok wow this is just... like wow. it's so perfect!!

• Awesome Sienna

Beautiful!

• Anlee

Wow... took my breath away. Every single word punches so much meaning and I'm honestly breathless at how amazing this sijo is <33

• anne_shirley04

I love this poem. It is so short and quirky, but it means a whole lot and is deeper than it looks. There is a lot behind every smile, and I feel like you as a writer recognised that in your piece.

I love this! All your poetry really makes one think and I love how you always relate it to things- like "that's what it takes to fabricate a smile" wow!! Also ooh, I've been reading up on Lorca and wow- he is awesome!! He's even so famous as to get "assassinated"! and I'm ordering a collection of his poetry by W.S. Merwin (thank you so much for letting me know the translator as well) tonight!! :) After I read all the things you recommended- I swear I'm going to be too smart for my school lol

Awesome!!

• Ava Marie

This is so beautiful and perfect. You are so talented!!