Katie Andrews

every story is just a different combination of 26 letters, thank you for reading mine

14 ~ feedback is greatly appreciated :)

a different page

She looked over at the lifeguard. Great. She one of them, then. Them, the straight girls I always fell for. The ones I never got. 
She tucked her hair behind her ear. That was flirting, wasn't it? She was flirting with the lifeguard. Well. I could see how one could find him attractive. The muscles, the hair, but the eyes so dull. How could such a work of art be interested in him?
I looked away. I couldn't let myself get attached. But I found my eyes drifting back to the curve of her jaw, the soft wave in her hair, the glint in her eyes...
Suddenly I snapped my head back down to the sand, cheeks burning. This was ridiculous. She was a random girl on the beach, one whom I would never see again, and there was no chance on earth she would ever give me a second thought.

I looked over at the lifeguard because I didn't want to seem interested. Even though I was. Our towels were aligned, a couple of metres apart, and I caught her staring, and I felt myself fall. I knew that if I kept staring at that smooth dark skin and the contour of her cheekbones she would begin to be creeped out. So I stared at the lifeguard, to convince her I was just another straight girl that would fall for the big muscles and flat eyes. That way she wouldn't think it was weird if I snuck glances.
I tucked my hair behind my hair, hands burning with awkwardness. I didn't know how to act natural. What if she was looking at me? Suddenly my bare back burned. My hair would be all knotted from the salt, skin red from the sun.
Stop it, I told myself firmly. She was a random girl on the beach, one whom I would never see again, and there was no chance on earth she would ever give me a second thought.