barelybear

she/her, INFJ-A
musicals
fantasy/dystopian fiction
piano
life goal = becoming fluent in le français
☕️
est August 2020
community ambassador alum :D
They tell me I’m 16 but I’m sceptical
the squirrel is back!!

I needed inspiration
And Parisienne was there
Her writing’s a sensation
Check out her grace and flair!

Thanks for reading! I’ve realised that recently I haven’t been writing much comedy, even in the drafts. So it feels good to let loose and go back to what I love <3

Sonnet #3 Ode to a Potato

17
For long the guys at Nato
Have had but one vocation:
To crown you, the humble ‘tato 
The High King of the nation.
You’d lead with poise and candor —
“Free mushy peas for all!” 
No need for pomp and grandeur
When the the throne is edible.
Your palace would be fabulous
To enthrall the lords and ladies, 
With sweet potato battlements 
And walls that ooze with gravy. 
Soon you’ll have your title, some name of great estate
But, for now, I guess you’ll have to stick with Head of Plate. 

Boiled, jacket, roasted
Is there nothing you can’t do? 
Crispy, sliced and toasted,
If you’re fancy, in a stew,

ahh when the footnotes are clumsy art in themselves. Thanks to Parisienne for the push to keep writing <3 (and to everyone else who chats with me and got my comments up past 50 so I could fully see how old that fly piece was). 
I seriously love potatoes

:o I think i have a favorite piece of yours now...this is hilarious and the footnotesss XD

• useless :)

re: oh okay lol.
    yup, although you also get more freedom for dress code in high school.
    hehe yeah.
    oh, we get full meals. there are a couple of options for the main meal, and then some snacks and sometimes a drink on the side that you can pay extra for. so basically like yours, except they just rotate between the meals and we pay for the snacks. our main meals are pretty gross most of the time too XD
    also, we don't really have desserts...except for these cupcakes, cookies, and tiny rice crispies. but they're all just packaged, basically stuff you could buy at your local publix or smth lol.
    okay! have a good day :D

• useless :)

what the-
    welp. maybe i've just set the record for WtW's longest ramble tho :D

• useless :)

re: luckyy
    i started bringing food from home after a while, because i realized that most of the time i barely ate the school cafeteria food lol. the only things i liked on our menu were mozzarella sticks, caesar salad, these little pizza bite things, and little frozen ice drinks that were a bit like slushies XD. they only gave those out like once a month tho :(
    oh, i wish haha. my backpack is what one of my teachers called "a neat mess". wHaTeVeR tHaT mEaNs. i think she meant that it was a bit disorganized, but that it works for me, so she doesn't mind it.
    i probably sound dumb rn but are bunches a hairstyle? like pigtails? if they are that's funny, because i used to wear those a lot when i was little. elementary school kind of little though, not anywhere near now haha. i mostly keep my hair down (it's a little longer than shoulder length) or in a ponytail.
    lolll i had a "only wearing leggings" phase when i was little, so it's probably something i would have done if i were given the chance, too.
    i mostly wear beach-type clothes or just athletic-ish clothes, like soccer shirts/shorts or tennis shirts/skirts. except during school. we don't have a uniform but we have to wear school shirts or collared shirts for the top and pants, skirts, or jeans for the bottom. and uhm, during quarantine i would pretty much just pick out the first comfortable thing i saw in my closet. now i'm back to how i normally dressed but i still dress for comfort more than style (idk if i even have one) lel.
    that was long-
    i realize whenever a subject gets brought up i go on a whole freaking rant about myself, i need to stop haha.
    have a great night! and yeah :D

• useless :)

re: aw thank you! :D
    yup. i loved it. ikr haha, except i was pretty short relative to my classmates. (though now i'm on the taller side for my age)
    when i entered sixth, so many things changed because of the transition between elementary and middle...and i loved that too. everyone thought lockers were cool, but i never actually used them lol...is it just me? switching classes between periods was a really fun change. i kinda missed recess tho XD
    oh and it's funny how in sixth i thought all the eighth graders looked so old, but when i look at pictures from then, or even a year ago, i feel like i look so young compared to now...even my friends, since i visualize them as how they look currently. although i looked a bit young for my age then so i think that's part of it too haha
    aLrIgHt, enough rambling. ahah "food night".
    have a great evening!

re: haha yesss! I can't kill off the nice characters! (mmhmmmm!) Aha thanks, I got it off the lego batman movie where the Joker kept saying wink and I thought that was funny (oop probs should have given credit but I forgot lol) Awwwwwweeeee thanks! LOL I was gonna make it gucci, but for some reason I laugh every time I see it, so I decided to do Vuitton instead (not that I'd ever be able to afford it lmaooo) You too!

• useless :)

re: oh i completely get what you mean lol. there are lots of times where i don't feel like doing an hour and a half of math thirty minutes after i wake up XD. and when i have tests in that class it's not the greatest.
    yeah! i think seventh grade was the best year of middle school for me, but eighth probably would've been if...yk, covid didn't happen.
    although the most fun (i was tempted to say funnest there lol) year of school for me was fifth grade. not the most interesting, but i have so many good memories from then, and i was just so carefree lel.
    uGh i get nostalgic so easily-

anywayss, yeah for sure lol. i don't know a ton about it, but there are exams every year for the normal classes, then AP exams for college credit, and there's either the SAT or ACT, which is what colleges look at. if you're talking about those, students normally take them a couple of times throughout high school to get themselves comfortable with the format and improve, so it doesn't have an exact date on it.
    same. oh yeah it was good, in my opinion it was actually one of the easier ones she gives out.

• useless :)

re: yup. it's funny, bc there was even less pressure when i was younger but in sixth grade i'd stress out over school more than i do now lol.
    yeah, same! although i really don't like when teachers make you copy straight from a board or something, i like having the freedom of doing it myself haha.
    ohh okay. that'll be good in the long run, even if the practices are tiring now...it's worth it.
    i dunno if i should be talking heheh, i currently have a test in an hour that's apparently "very challenging" and i haven't studied at all. but i think it'll be fine.
    yeah i'm working on it XD

RE: Haha roasties totally does sound cooler! And HAHAH, LOLL (like, I actually laughed OUT LOUD) your comment totally made my day! But seriously- what is wrong with sweet potatoes? They are so yummy! It’s literally potatoes plus sweetness- heaven meets heaven! XD And aww thank you! You too!

• useless :)

that's like, some top tier math skills right there. i meant finished before seven, not six lel. oh and GCSEs*

• useless :)

re: ah, yes. if only it was that simple XD
    but really, your encouragement is always so kind and helpful. yeah, i agree. i have a hard time studying, especially for subjects i'm not very interested in, so on tests i mostly rely on what i've learned. which may have to change. i've been sort of taking advantage of the fact that i don't need to study yet, cause the relying on what ik works for now, and so most days i'm pretty unproductive, watching youtube after school or smth like that haha (i do all my hw though). ik that'll also have to change...
    which is probably good for me because when i say i procrastinate, i mean a lot. yesterday i didn't start my hw until seven...three hours of random stuff before that and i finished at nine-thirty when i could've finished before six lol.
    that's probably what my mom means by time management.
    mhm, definitely need time for all that fun stuff. aw thanks!
    hope you're having a great afternoon! oh and good luck on your GSCEs whenever you take them, which month are they in? (you might've said it sometime already but i forgot lol)

Chapter 3 of Dangers From the Deep is out! https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/223408/version/476150

• useless :)

aaand i'm back with the super-long-and-unasked-for paragraph comments ;)

• useless :)

re: hi ellie! :D (i already said this but i love your name lol)
    truee. yeah 7:30 sucks, although i've been used to getting up early since like fifth grade. aHeM, the waking up at twelve occasion was justified. sorta. but ye in fifth we had this thing called safety patrols and we had to wake up at 6:30 for it. as ten year olds tho-
    yeah leaving at two will be nice. aw thank youuuu!
    idk about that haha but thank you sm again :)
    hehe pretty random but my high school results are in less than a week now...i was reading through ratings, but by former students, and one rating in 2017 (so pretty recent) and it went like, "great school, passionate teachers, etc. etc., HOWEVER, be warned, i've had plenty of sleepless nights or nights where i sleep half as much because of the huge workload."
    rip my already messed up sleep schedule.
    oh and it also said that they had a hard time making friends and the school, but tHeN aGaIn, you don't go to the school to socialize, you go to prepare for your future.
    rip my introverted self lel.
    sounds lovely, doesn't it? oh and my mom thought this was all great, since i needed to work on "time management" and prepare for college. it's kinda intimidating but i still wanna go...guess the lottery will decide tho.
    dang that was very rant-ish, srry XD
    oh i hope it went amazing! hope you have a great morning/afternoon depending on when you read this!!

• person random

GAhh this is so fun! Also really kind of awesome, its super fun to say out loud which is kinda cool!

re: hehe :P awwwwe tankie! Lol idk, it's just her newest piece, and he commented a similar thing. And thou art welcome my sleepy knight in shining armour. U2!

Woowwww!! I love this!! Literally the best ode I think I've ever read! but seriously- potatoes are the yummiest food of all! I love the rhyming and "And walls that ooze with gravy. " is just mmmmmm- I want potatoes now!!

Re: Oh yes ofc, sorry hon. Yes you are also my brave knight in shining armour (who just sleeps in). And thanks <3 Yes! They are awesome <33 Thanks so much :D (have you seen dee's abditory's new piece? urgh jacob threatened her too)

• Parisienne

re: aha thanks and OF COURSE you featured in my message box! People have to see how good this is.
    My life had better be that chic....if I'm going for the stripy top and beret I might throw some onions round my neck too. That'll be one hell of a look for college tomorrow haha.
    Ah congrats on getting it done!! I am sure you were amazing, but yh good that the shaking was just part of your character. Helps to not be playing the over-confident part sometimes.
    Whooop it's done!!! You never have to do that drama performance again..congrats Ellie!!
    (yes I will be your reference if they need one on the geniusness of your writing) <3

• Parisienne

This piece ages like fine wine...definitely gets even better with a second read. I am honestly in love with this tribute to our carbohydrate monarchy.
    re: Thank you!!!! Awh I have added you to my bio lil sis (so sweet of you to put me in yours).
    Eugh you poor thing having to survive a french listening...bon chance petit souer. Basically fluent *smugly grins and imagines speaking french fluently in Paris with chic style and elegance*. I hope your weeks improved since monday!!!
    Have a great night potato person
    Becca <3

• Livsnjutare

re: Glad you liked it!! Yes!! Roasted potatoes are the best!

Re: Yes I've reported, and WtW have gotten back to me, so there's no need for you to report, but thanks :) Haha that's because this website is so friggin awesome lol. Well the pieces were called 'getaway car' and 'motif'. They had a bunch of Taylor Swift lines in them. Aw gosh hon, the support means so much <3 You're such a good friend, but I think that's ok. WtW support is already aware of it, so I think we're good. Welll he didn't take it down, WtW did! And I'm fine, tysm <33 He can't do anything to me ('sept freak me out a bit). Oh yes, beth's my knight in shining armour (in a non romantic, protective way), and you're the cavalry who runs in once she's woken up ;) But thank you, the support means A LOT. <3333

(this is amazing lmao) Hey Ellie, just warning you, you might want to unfollow Jacob Houston. He steals lyrics for his songs (got legit proof) and when I confronted him, HE SENT ME A THREAT! I'm not kidding, scroll down to the comments in this piece: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/225092/version/474730

• Livsnjutare

Potatoes are so goooooood! And I think that this is such a beautiful ode to one of the best foods around! Great job!

• nolongeractive

The name of this piece is so amazing and I cannot take the incredible pieces that you publish on this platform; they are so fun and exciting! Your writing is going to make a huge difference one day!

• useless :)

re: yeah haha, i ended up falling asleep at seven, which i realize sounds very weird, but i "woke up" at like twelve. so i still got five hours of sleep, unconventionally. although my mom was like, "don't tell me you're tired, you woke up at noon," all day XD. little did she know...
    uhm, y e s. although i do wonder if perhaps "might be slightly insane" could be an understatement ;)
    yes, potatoes are indeed gods. i have to agree that sweet potatoes are an abomination, i really don't like them either lol.
    yeah. in high school i found out we have to be at school by 7:30 or sometime around that, although i don't think it'll be too bad, i'm kind of used to it because of my 7:45 am math class. and we'll get out at 2:30, which is pretty cool because now we get out at 4.
    oh i love your name, it's so pretty!! :)
    hmm. i'd end my comment off with mine, except i don't want to put my full name on here, and i don't really like how either of the possible abbreviations i could say for my name sound...so idk lol
    have a great day, ellie! :D

• useless :)

re: indeed.
    lmao it's like 5:30 am and i actually started laughing out loud at that-
    (yup, 5 am. may or may not have been up all night...thankfully tmrw's a teacher work day and i don't have school bc that would've been an absolute nightmare)
    yeah, for sure :D
    aw haha np, and you have now written something else. lemme read it real quick-

i swear i almost started laughing again...i really need to stop, the rest of my family's asleep right now. okay, so 1. this is brilliant (who wouldn't love a piece about potatoes). it made my...uhm, early morning? :D
    which brings me to 2. i love potatoes too, they're so so good lol
    my mind's kinda going haywire in the sense that right now i'm overly full of energy, but ik i'm gonna be tired later, so i'm slightly panicking...idk if it's worth it to try to sleep by now because it means i'll wake up really late, and i might not be able to. anyway, srry if the comment came out messy XD.
    have a great morning! :D

• Parisienne

OMGGG YOU ARE THE BEST!!! Haha this piece is actually so amazing Ellie, you found a hell of a lot to rhyme with the king 'tato....so impressive!! Thanks so much for your comment box - mind if I add you to my profile as my lil sis and fellow admirer of the kingly potatoes? I'm acc so happy that you've done a sonnet to potatoes lol...it's so good!
    I'm good thanks (weekend flew by though ngl). Good luck with your drama!!! You'll be amazing potato queen!!
    Thanks for brightening up my monday with this post :)
    Becca <3

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

Re: awwwwww thank you so much! You are so sweet! Your comment really means a lot, so thank you!
    Hey, the battlement line was my favorite!! XD But you’re welcome; I love this! ;)

• JonesyL123

I frickin love this, automatically thought of Samwise Gamgee going "Po-ta-toes!!!" hehe

• Rohan’s Defender (Semi-Active)

This is so cute and lighthearted! I needed the little bit of sunshine in my morning, so thank you! Amazing rhyming, by the way.

• nopenopenope

re: YES IT IS. I didn't think anyone would want to add onto it, but go right ahead!

..i've found another potato fanatic.