Anne Blackwood

16
Poet
Singer
Theatre kid
Twin
Disabled (chronically ill)
Suspected autistic
ADHD
Highly Sensitive Person
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

I'm definitely looking for some critical feedback before I (possibly) record a performance for this. /nervous

The Poetry of Life

12

Poetry is everywhere.

Light filling the eyes of a mother of three,
That Tumblr post comparing us all to magic,
Voice memos chaotic with unbidden midnight thoughts,
A kind soul on Instagram commenting like check so everyone can delight in their fifteen minutes of fame,
The very last raindrop signalling the end, whispering a beginning...

Yes,
Poetry is everywhere.
Poets are merely the ones who name it,
Who seek out the words for the intricacies of their minds...

And sometimes the greatest writing is hidden in
Acts of desperation,
In the gold bleeding from a life so loud...

We turn ourselves inside out,
bones and sinew on display
for strangers, friends, and those who refuse to fit into the labels of our little lives.

We say
Look, everyone!
This is what I see,
This who I am,
Shining in all my messy glory.
It's beautiful, I think.

The words tumble forth
From our hopeful hearts
And come racing back at us, in an
Untamable rush of sound and silence.

This is beauty!
This is freedom!
This is living!

Isn't it?
This is a spoken word poem. I wrote a piece of it on March 6th, but I couldn't finish it until today (the 15th). Watching the spoken word poem "For Teenage Girls" by Clementine von Radics helped get my creative juices flowing for this.

1

Wow, this was awesome! I was actually thinking about the beginning the other day- how poets and writers just put life into words but it's always out there! And you worded that so nicely! RE: Ooh awesome and aww, you're so sweet! And haha loll don't worry- you're super right. Reading it over, it does seem a bit awkward! And ooh thank you so much! I'll try and work on that! :)

Re: I'm quite alright! Hope you feel better :)

Hi Anne! How ya doin?

• psithurism

re: Thank you so much! :)

• solarflair

I'm good, you?

• halle_cj

Re: thank you xo

• McK13

Re: of course! :)

• McK13

Omg!! This is gorgeously written!! Your words come through so vividly and beautifully! Maybe like “Hidden Poetry” or “Life is Poetry” for title ideas :)

replying: *in posh british accent* i don't know,it has a sort of deeper meaning to it.
    lol i have this thing where everyone's appearance looks like a food or animal to me...

replying: aghhh thank you anne!!! you're such a sweet pumpkin. also just realised that i think you look like cinnamon^u^

• books4life

this is amazing!!!! :) as for titles, i'm honestly the worst at coming up with those but..."Defining Me" or like something about how poetry allows you to express yourself as you wrote "this is freedom! this is living!" idk but i loved this piece :)

• Zirong

ooo this is great. I can't wait to see your performance! *wink* As for the title idea, how about "Ars Poetica"? Horace wrote a poem on poetry-writing with this title. I think your themes are similar so it suits this piece as well :)

• Sophiascb

Love this! I expanded on my thoughts in a peer review that you'll hopefully get soon! ;)

Re: Tysm! Aha I'm fine with that :)

Re: hmm, if everybody likes you you could pretty much have your pick ; ).
    Yes...it was...I think he quit his account though cause of privacy concerns or whatnot (he's rather reserved). He just started emailing me randomly and was really talkative (unusual for him over email) and my brother thinks he likes me...I really don't know what to do...you know the feeling.

Title should be: "Poetry is Everything." This is really pretty and makes me appreciate poetry more.
    Re: yeah, no hate on anyone who plays them, I just feel like it's mildly ironic that parents let their kids play violent video games and watch violent tv shows and then flip on on parents who safely teach their children (like my family, who doesn't watch violent films and all that) how to use a gun for hunting or just for sport. To me, I'd rather spend my time outside or learning useful skills than playing video games. Just my preference.

• Ibex

This is a cool poem! Definitely sums up poetry nicely, although I'm useless when it comes to title ideas.
    Re: did you see that production in person or on video? just curious. I've never seen it myself.