~Zoe N~

Kindness is choosing love over hate, light over darkness, and compassion over judgment.
-Anonymous

est. 8.17.20

Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz

#BlackLivesMatter, #LoveisLove

republish from a few weeks ago, <3

always and forever, laughing. (Footnotes)

14
Abandoned. Lost. Empty. The square was forgotten. Left behind to freeze in time, simply a beautiful memory. But despite the feeling of emptiness, despite the gaping hole left behind, there were those who had not forgotten. The sun was low in the sky, color seeping away, fading fast. The trees were cold outlines against the sky, raindrops slowly falling.

But I could hear them. I could see them. The children running up and down the streets, playing as only children can. Laughing and shouting with joy. Bright red jackets, a distinct sound of feet hitting the pavement. Now and then a cry as someone fell and scraped their knee on the ground, blood seeping. Vibrant. Noticeable. Bright.

And then it started to fade. It was a second of life, but then the color started to dissolve into thin grays and lifeless black and whites. The laughter and tears started to echo loudly in the now apparent, deafening silence. I could still see them, slowly running, dancing around each other, some only a silhouette against the bloody sky. Faded, slow, echoing voices resounding throughout my head. Nothing but their laugher, getting louder and louder... Getting softer. They were all I could see now. Some would think that they were never there, maybe I still sat alone on the empty street in an abandoned world. But I believe that they are here with us, I could not abandon them now, even when we think we are alone, they are watching, perhaps waiting for something. Dancing, running, laughing, crying. Loudly. Softly. Quickly. Slowly. Never stopping,  never quiet, always and forever, laughing.

So, the other day, I was going through a tough time in life, so I decided to go for a walk, I walked to a nearby school park and sat there for a while. No one else was there, it was just me in the world. I watched the sunset, it was one of the prettiest sunsets I've ever seen and I was listening to this while watching the sunset: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rEabIq8u_Y
anyways, while listening to my music, and watching the sunset, I started feeling something weird. It was that feeling you get when you visit an old museum or haunted house or somewhere where you just know that history has happened, and memories have been made there. Almost a nostalgic feeling, but nostalgia for something I had never even experienced. I could almost hear children laughing and yelling and their footsteps on the pavement around me, I could almost see them. So I wrote about it, and this is the result, let me know what you think. 

1

• beth r.

re: oooh so i'm a big historical fiction junkie. if you want something kinda dark and unapologetic, try A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I saw what you're currently reading, so you might like The Winter Horses by Phillip Kerr (also Haloucaust related). Since these are kinda dark (since it's WWII), if you're on the younger side, you might want to ask your parents before reading them. I read them both as part of the school curriculum, so they're not that dark, but everyone has sensitivities.
    as for a q n a, what's your favorite genre to read?

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Replying: I wrote a piece on Once Upon a December & Quaratine. It's right here:
    https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/223071/version/470611. Keep on writing!

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Wow, this is amazing. It has the feeling of a beautiful poem, but instead, you put it as if it is a story, which I find is an amazing concept. Ke- wait. You were listening to Once Upon a December!?! I love that song! It is one of my three current favorite songs (the other is Dan Steven's Evermore and the other is Cheb Khaled's C'est La Vie). Keep on writing!

• useless :)

this is incredible, wow. it flows so well and i absolutely love the descriptions and imagery you've incorporated.
    and for the footnotes...i came across a foreign word (it's welsh, and it doesn't directly translate to english so it's a general concept) a while ago, and it sounds kind of similar to what you're describing. the word's hiraeth, and it means "nostalgia, longing, homesickness, a deep feeling of yearning for a home that cannot be returned to, no longer exists, or never was."
    it's so specific and i've actually felt that way before, except in my case it was more of just an idea than a home, but same concept...i had no idea there was something to describe that feeling so i found it really interesting :)
    also, hope you're doing better now!
    re: thank you so much!!

• Ava Marie

One: This is amazing, I love your style of writing. I love it so much, the feeling it gives off is incredible but I can't figure out how to put it into words.
    Two: Are you feeling better now? If you want someone to talk to I'll be around.
    Three: I love sunsets so much!
    Four: At the end of the second paragraph you say "bright" but I think it might be more effective if you changed it to something like "real". since you already used vibrant, and bright and vibrant are synonyms.
    Five: Sorry I wrote so many points

• RedWriter

Jesus loves you

• RedWriter

God loves you! Nice background

• Zirong

Interesting idea and extraordinary rhythm. I'll submit a review soon! :)