gabimarie

~ 16 ~
she/her/hers
occasional nerd
future songwriter

hey yall, so obviously i'm still dealing with the fact that the grammys used bts in the worst possible way, so just enjoy my rant :)

#scammys

2
    Personally, I've never understood the appeal of Ariana Grande, or Lady Gaga, for that matter. I was never into the pop genre, so I never quite got what drew my friends to them. I've been told that they encourage girls to embrace their femininity, but I didn't understand that. Last night, I was sitting on my grandmother's couch, earbuds in, anxiously watching the live stream of the Grammy's preshow. I've been an ARMY since 2014, when I was introduced to their song N.O. for the first time. I've been rooting for BTS for almost eight years. Seeing them nominated for a Grammy was probably the most excited I'd been for them, potentially ever. Was I angry when the Recording Academy moved their category, as well as other categories that were dominated by people of color? Yes, extremely so. However, I still held out the hope that the Recording Academy would do right by BTS. They didn't. In fact, they failed. Miserably.
    The Recording Academy chose Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga to win Best Pop Duo. Let's first look at the judges of the Grammys. The majority are middle-aged, heterosexual, white men. That, in itself, is disgusting. They chose Grande and Lady Gaga over the group of people who have saved countless lives with their music, not least of all mine, just to prove a point, one that is becoming increasingly irrelevant in our society. Did they THINK they were hiding their xenophobia? They not only put that category in the preshow, something that has historically never happened, and now they have the nerve to sit there and refuse to give the award to the people who deserve it, to the people who have worked for years to get where they are. Screw that. Screw them and their racists. I genuinely, sincerely hope that they live in an eternal personal *underground*.
    They have the nerve to ask me for my money to support those who have been my support for years, but they won't give them the only thing they've asked for? I don't care if they have everything else, I don't CARE if they are okay with not getting the award, they deserve it. The nerve of those white men is outstanding in the worst possible way. I just wish that people wouldn't look at them and just see Asians, or men with makeup, and assume they're untalented or gay. It's insulting when no one actually acknowledges their talent and their genius. My first anxiety attack? They were there. When I found out I was adopted? They were there. My depression? They were there. They were there for everything and they can't even get a Grammy because of prejudices and privileges. 
    How do we tell BTS it's not because they haven't worked hard enough? How do we tell them it's not them, it's those people who still live in the 1950s? How do we tell them they are enough? How do we tell them that they don't need a grammy, the Grammys need them?

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Re: Exactly. And it annoys me when singers and actresses/actors get paid and get more attention more than the scientists and the people who are doing ground breaking discoveries :/

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Omg yes! And that's such BS about it showing feminism. Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga basically encourage 1950s girls behavior and it's super annoying how my teachers like encourage us to listen to Ariana Grande because she's a 'feminist'. Also, yeah BTS is great and just because they wear makeup....ok I'll shut up before I go on another rant but I agree with this wholeheartedly :)

• ~rain~

amen, sister. honestly, i hated 'rain on me' by ariana grande and lady gaga. seriously, there's no need to be racist because bts is from korea, or they wear makeup or whatever. you have a very good point here!