Ellington Stone

Hi, I'm Ellington (a.k.a. Ellie)
She/Her 15
INFP & HSP
OLP, Grapheme-Color
#BLM
#loveislove
#feminism
Joined Feb. 2021
wlw
Current Obsession: Billie Eilish

Hey!

I LOVE to read & write & draw (Melanie Cellier, Wendy Mass, & Jillian Dodd) ...all that good stuff.

I mainly post things I've been playing around with, but I always appreciate feedback! Feel free to drop a comment or a review, it's always appreciated. If you ever want a review, I'd be happy to help. Just ask :>

I mostly write little poetry things, short stories, flash fictions, and some political commentary/mockery.

Thanks so much for the 150+ followers!!

Women In Politics (& Names)

11
We refer to Donald Trump as "Trump" and Joe Biden as "Biden"
We refer to Mike Pence as "Pence" and Barack Obama as "Obama"

But,

We refer to Kamala Harris as "Kamala" and Hillary Clinton as "Hillary"

Why don't we refer to Kamala Harris as "Harris" or Hillary Clinton as "Clinton"?

- Because Kamala's first name is unique!!
- Because Hillary's last name isn't unique!!

Are the excuses I hear.

Yet, we refer to Michelle Obama as "Michelle" and Melania Trump as "Melania"

So

Now

I'm confused....
Is there no respect for women in politics?
Is there no respect for women, even in politics?
Is there no respect for women?
this is just something I've observed in my community.

• sci-Fi

WAIT I was just thinking about this!!! I don't get it. Honestly VP Harris is one of the only politicians I actually respect, so... why do I still unconciously call her "Kamala"? I'm trying to be more respectful of her
    Also I call Trump "that cheeto who almost started a civil war". So.

• Yellow Sweater

Oh my goodness, I have never thought about this before. You are so right, that's clear evidence of our "unconscious" bias towards women. Semantics really does matter!

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Yeah this is really true. In my pieces about this I always use last names out of respect but on the media they always say Kamala, and it's a bit annoying :/

• Minvra

I never thought about this though. Maybe it sounds more personal? Then again it sounds like a diss because we don't personally know them.

• pyrrhic

i’ve never thought about this... but you’re right. respect for women in politics? that’s a day i hope comes soon, but i know it’s not today

• Minvra

Re: No problem. I try to make a comment in people's works because it seems more meaningful than a like, I guess. Kinda like you're giving input in as a reader if you don't have much to provide as a fellow writer.

Wow! I love this- I never even thought of it but it's sooo true! And I love the ending, it's so powerful because it goes deeper and deeper to reality! Amazing!