Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

This is a poem I have been working on for a while. I feel like I am getting close, but I don't think it is quite there yet. Reviews much appreciated!

The Womb

17
Do you remember when that tickling in our stomachs had a name? It was called God. The flowers bloomed to God’s rhythm and we danced in our underwear.  

Our families burned weed and bras and incense and dollar bills. They used history as kindling and smoked out the stars. But we didn’t need to misinterpret Rumi to converse with the Beloved, we were formed inside of it. We were drum-circle children, raised in an undulating womb. 

But now, my friends Bible-Bash with Nietzsche. Jesus is the cigarette butt of their nihilistic jokes. I am not a Christian, mais je suis chrétienne. I venerate Beeswax Candles and Hildegard and Fragrant Oil. I find the hungry-void counterproductive, so I take communion and feed the God growing in my belly. 

Have you ever sat and watched the rain? Falling water is precious now the clouds have become pregnant with tear-gas and idealism. 

Let the rain pour down!

Let us take shelter in our temples!

• serein

I'm obsessed with the way you write.

• remi'sgotinkstains

oh, I love this. I want to dance in my underwear to the rhythm of blooming flowers and God's rhythm! ;) It interests me how you don't necessarily believe in God but you write about Him all the time. All the love--Remi

• aiyanna

Re: You're welcome. Definitely seems like a really neat community to grow up in. I may be remembering this wrong, but did you mention you grew up in a commune? Either way, it's cool to read about a different background. I guess the writing seems to share your own story, but there's meaning and ways for others to connect to it.

• aiyanna

In other words, I agree with this message so much, I love everything about it. (I'll stop fawning over this now lol)

• aiyanna

There is something so special about your writing, I mean it's so individualistic. Like a piece of your unique self is weaved into every piece. All of it is just so incredibly meaningful. This piece just seems so personal, yet somehow really relatable, but not in a simple way by any means, like it asks that we search within ourselves to find meaning and connections. The answers and the point aren't just blatantly written out before us. I find that so beautiful. I hope this isn't all too sappy ha, but you are really talented. The perspective you share feels so enlightening. Magnificent work :)

even though i disagree with you in many respects, i can't ignore the exceptional beauty of this piece, the way the words flow with intensity, passion, and sometimes a whisper. the rhythm is nothing like i've ever read. have you, by chance, read The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery? it seems right up your alley—not my usual genre (philosophical fiction, you might say) but it was just a work of art. And have you read Anna Karenina? I'm rereading it, and I'm actually enjoying this time and making connections and realizing a little bit of the beauty of it.
    re: the revisions were excellent. and you can always go back to other versions, at least on WtW, but generally someone who comes across your piece for the first time won't know the difference. and i like the cleaner title. it presents an air of mystery—what is she going to say about American Values? wonders the reader.

• antizoeclub

this is so gorgeous holyyyy

i don't have words for this, this is brilliant!! :D i guess we'll just mindlessly ramble on each other's pieces...

• crystalline•galaxies

re: your comment absolutely made my day. thank you so much!

as for this piece... i'm left speechless. again. it's absolutely delicious.

• BriRiley

Wow this is a cool concept! It’s really good! :D

• SamRose

Re: Omg, thank you so much! That means so much to me! :) :)