dee’s abditory

sagittarius, dr pepper addict, INFP-T
~
i write music and poetry and sometimes stories :)
~
15yo
she/they please <3

Ayyyyyyy macarena

Accents

10
    Accents have been a hobby of mine for quite a while. There’s nothing like donning a British accent after a long day and confusing your siblings. Maybe I do it for the challenge. Learning to speak in an accent can be difficult if you haven’t heard the accent very clearly. The most difficult one for me to learn has so far been Australian. You Aussies sure love to confuse Americans, don’t you?
    The thing about accents is that they transform a person. Suddenly I’m not just another boring American teenager, I’m an Irish boarding school student with a checkered past and a sly smile. Suddenly I’m a British teen with street smarts and wicked fast reflexes. Suddenly I’m not me, I’m someone else.
    Maybe accents appeal to me so much because I don’t find myself all that interesting. After all, who cares about an American dance dropout with mediocre art and basketball skills and more mental issues than she had time to handle? 
    I think the reason I like mimicking accents so much is because I can stop focusing on myself and focus on someone else. I can morph into whoever I want to be. I don’t have to feel trapped in an American accent and a too-tall, too-thin body.
    I can be free... simply by changing the way I speak.
I didn’t really know where this was going but that’s ok lol. Have a good day!! -dee <3

• pyrrhic

accents are pretty cool ngl... hehe

• gabimarie (hiatus)

re: thank you! also i finished writing it! it's kinda short, but i hope you like it! i can make a longer version if you want, but i was just going off of your bio and this piece. have a great day :)

• psithurism

no. your art skills are not mediocre. you are delaney van gogh and nothing you say will convince me otherwise. now, moving on to this piece, brilliant! amazing! i love it!

• Jasmine khawar

Relatable! And i love american accent xd, I speak in american accent, it's just beautiful

• Minvra

Huh, this is pretty interesting. Aren't there different accents in different regions of a country? The way you said this sounds like you like acting or would probably enjoy that. I'm a terrible actor. Then again I haven't really tried unless—oh right, writer's kind of have to work up a skill in acting (sort of) too. Oof, I have a long way.

• Yellow Sweater

Yes! So relatable! This is a lovely mini- essay. I feel like the mini-essay is a form that isn;t explored enough. It's appealing and powerful.

• gabimarie (hiatus)

i rlly like this! i noticed in your bio that you want a cliffnotes of your life, and obviously that was a joke, but would you mind if i wrote one? I'm kinda on a writer's block rn and it would be cool to make a summary of your life based on this piece! lol if not that's fine, I'm just looking for writing material :)