Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

Thoughts!?

Hocus Pocus

15
Through my astrolabe I see the universe’s concentric squares. 
My longing keeps me captive and sacred in God’s incomprehensible geometry. 

God is an empty battlefield. A vast space filled by the intimate conflict of our desires, by the veneration of our passions. We feel the intensity of a battlefield because we fight in it. We understand space because we sculpt it. God transcends the dualities that define our religions, yet religion is our way of making God tangible. It is our way of grasping the pervasive, yet elusive, rhythms of mysticism that fill the space between atoms. We grasp at God because we position ourselves outside it, in a world defined by convictions. By separating ourselves we give God shape. To make something holy is to hold it apart, to imbue it with faith rather than reality. 

The curvature of prayer is parallel to linear logic. 
Hocus pocus. 
God tastes like bread and blood
and clouds.

wow!! This was very poetic, I especially loved, " incomprehensible geometry " as that just gave me such vivid imagery. RE: Awwww, thank you so much!! She's literally jumping up and down in happiness- you're so sweet :))

• nolongeractive

I love this so much and you have so much talent, great job!

• amaryllis

Thoroughly enjoyed this piece! Religion has always been a difficult thing for me, but you make it so tangible here. And, for once, I feel like I know what you’re saying the whole way through!

Re: I’m glad it makes sense and helps some, and yes, would love to read your next iteration of it! I do plan on entering a piece... if I can ever get around to writing it. It feels so trivial next to a lot of these pieces though, and I keep swapping ideas, so we’ll see haha.

Also, didn’t even register for me that you changed your user on here until I read your bio lol

• crystalline•galaxies

i feel like i've been admiring your work for so long, and yet i don't know if i've ever expressed how much i love it. there's just something that's so full of energy in your pieces. i don't mean that they're energetic, though; i mean that they all carry such a specific energy within them, and that's the only word i can think to describe it. there's something so raw, so untamed about the things that you write, and every time i read something of yours, it makes me think and feel and exist differently for the minute that it takes me to read through the piece. i'm especially in love with your pieces about religion and religious figures, such as this one. i just... i really don't know what else i can say. so maybe thank you for writing what you write and not immediately offering up an explanation for the things you say in your pieces? there's something magical about pieces that allow exploration and examination. i really admire the things you do.

• astrea

your writing makes sense and no sense at the same time! : )