Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

In a Moment They Bloomed

PROMPT: March Grab Bag

17
Last week, I noticed the cherry trees had bloomed. 

Distracted, lost in the intimate grey of longing, I missed the exact hour in which the impossible happened. But when I finally opened my eyes, the bleak winter was gone. I could smell the sun as I walked along the sidewalk. The cement was warm and the soil was wriggling with a nascent green. 

Spring is patient and exuberant, full of disciplined joy. In a single, soaring gesture, our blue sky reveals itself. Our damp green grass is lit on fire. And pink cherry blossoms sweeten our thick, stagnant, stubborn breaths.
a 100 word story based on a randomly generated word - the story title should be the word that you generated (by alyanna)

The word I got was discipline.  

1

• Starlitskies

Brilliant! The intensity with which you engage the senses is truly captivating. I'd love to feel the seasons on my skin one day. We only have sun and rain over here, lol. XD

RE: Aww, thank you so much for your kind words! My sister was so happy :)

• Just_A_Memory

"Our damp green grass is lit on fire. And pink cherry blossoms sweeten our thick, stagnant, stubborn breaths." Love those lines! <3 Love it all!

Wow, this was so beautiful! I love it! And haha, personally I love floweriness but I get that it's weird to write so positive if you're used to including more depth and darkness (that's just what I think you mean) but there's still so much depth in here, like the suddenness of change, how things can go from darkness to lightness so quickly and that was really cool! You're amazing at prose poetry, your piece always evoke such emotion and pull me in to what's happening!

Re: Oh oki cool :)

Oh what should I call you? Zinni? YS?

Re: I'm glad we found each other too. :D And thank you!!

Re: Oh that makes sense!
    And ohhh good to know! One of the spoonies I follow has ME. I'm chronically ill and fairly bedridden too actually. (I'm not allowed to share my exact diagnoses on the internet.) Writing is my escape as well as I try to figure out this new reality. I never knew we had so much in common!

Wait hold up you're disabled too?

"Spring is patient and exuberant, full of disciplined joy"
    Wow I'm in love with the implications of this... so good.
    Also, why did you change your username? /curious