Lata.B

"You are grand from your toes to your head. Take a deep breath and let that sink in."

<3

Open Scars || PLEASE read footnotes <3

26
Even angels try to hide their open scars
Storing her pain in jars
She flirts with sadness 
And dances in the darkness

She shines like the stars
Her blush as red as Mars
She’s standing on the highest bars

No ones perfect 
Her body’s sculpted by an architect
She strums a note from her broken guitars

Hey! I am writing a book and this scene includes a person having a panic attack. I have never had panic attacks and from what I have heard It can be really scary. But I fully don't know how it feels so If you know what it feels like please (If you are comfortable) comment and let me know. It will really help! <3

I hope you are having a wonderful day and thanks for reading! :) 

As HelpMe512 said, it's both physical and mental. He explained it really well, so I'm just gonna add that triggers can be anything, from loud noises to flashing lights to someone moving quickly. Those are just a few of mine. Panic attacks are usually sudden and they stop after around 5-10 minutes, while anxiety attacks are longer and come on more gradually.
    In addition, if you post this scene on wtw (which idk if you'd do but just in case) make sure to have a tw on it. :) happy writing!

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

I've had one anxiety attack before (I think it was a panic attack) that was triggered by something someone wrote to me. I was in the car and able to keep it together, but I felt nauseous and my heart was pounding, When I got home, I went to my room and began hyperventilating. I felt like there wasn't enough air at all and could barely speak. I was bent over myself, dizzy and trembling. I don't know how I calmed down because it was all a blur, but when it was over, I started crying. Great piece!

• ghostyboi

Ok here's my experience with panic attacks. First of all, it isn't just mental. It's physically hard to breathe, hard to stand, hard to move, hard to talk. For me, I go nonverbal and struggle to say even one word. Then I start hyperventilating, breathing heavy and fast. Second, my brain starts to spiral into thoughts, so I'm barely aware of my surroundings. This is why grounding is so important. Grounding includes but is not limited to someone asking simple questions about surroundings, becoming aware of surroundings through different senses, and listening to music. Third, I start stimming. This is repetitive motions that are supposed to be calming. For example, rocking back and forth, softly hitting a specific place on myself, and biting my nails. This is an attempt at self-calming. Finally, panic attacks are triggered by different things for everyone. Some of mine are failure, conflict, and being alone. Sometimes a sensory overload can lead to panic attack too. Just remember while writing that a panic attack should be triggered by something, and isn't just random. It's not always an outside trigger either. Sometimes my own mind can trigger myself.
    Hope this helps!

• Minvra

I love this piece. It illustrates everyone has their scars. Even those who seem so happy and bubbly.

• Just_A_Memory

First of all, this piece is phenomenal! And two, I’m late, and you have a lot of comments, but here’s my take on it.
    Tears, for sure. Chest in tight, breathing restricted. Personally, I’m looking for every exit if I’m in a public space, and if I’m home, I’m looking for a hiding spot, or a distraction. My mind can be on everything, or nothing at all. And it can be as simple as walking in or out of a restaurant door, or thinking about school, or tripping. Sometimes, I don’t really have a reason, it just becomes a stress response. Not sure if this will ever help, but that’s definitely what it feels like for me!

• Minvra

I heard (as a friend described) that the best way for them to get through a panic attack are distractions. There's this breathing technique called a square. Three seconds breathe in, three hold, three out, three hold. They also say they're extremely tired.
    I guess you can remember the last time you cried so hard and you feel super tired. The sensations and emotions. Although it's not exact or the equivalent, you can try to recreate the emotions you had out of context.

When I was in counseling (for general anxiety), I was told about tensing your arms, legs, fingers, neck for a couple seconds, and then letting it out.

From what I researched, the goal during a panic attack is to get through it. To help someone get through it, they can ask if they take medicine for this. They (person helping) should say short, simple sentences. Don't assume. It's okay to panic when someone panics, but stay calm during it. Stay with them.

• Nikki

oh this is beautiful! i love the entire mystical element to it. makes you really wonder.
    about having panic attacks... i actually wrote a piece about it! idk if you've read it. i'll link it here if you're interested :)
    anyways
    anywyas, have nice day!

• useless :)

i was waiting for dismissal during school when i heard my heartbeat quicken and it was just extremely loud, as if it was on speaker from somewhere in the room. i went to sit down, and as soon as i did i got dizzy, super hot, and started breathing sharply while feeling nauseous. the bell rang, so people started moving out. while one side of myself was panicking, the other was weirdly calm in a sense, and i was in a trance-like state. i forced myself to get up. once i was out of the room, i was in the middle of kids talking and it overwhelmed me...in that moment i thought it wouldn't ever stop. i really freaked out...and kept walking, repeating that something was wrong, and my mind thinking the worst because of it. i thought i was dying, very irrational but extremely terrifying. when i got to the car loop it slowly cleared up, but i was possibly more exhausted than i've ever felt. i wasn't still panicking when my mom picked me up, but she kinda noticed it. i had to brush it off and say my morning soccer practice had been tiring, but i fell asleep twice after, they seriously drain all of your energy. long story short...they suck. i think i had it lucky, since i've read about panic attacks much worse than mine, but i'm glad it's never happened since then.
    dang, that was a long comment. i'm sorry haha

• useless :)

wow, this is beautiful! i especially love, "She flirts with sadness/And dances in the darkness"
    okay, so um, panic attacks. i've had one before, so i'll try to help by writing a comment about how mine felt ig

• Tachi

panic attack are really horrible... you got the right. I really love your piece <3

I love the line "flirts with sadness" and "dances in the darkness." It's really pretty. I also love the line about Mars. Kind of cool.

• WrenBirdWrites

Oh, okay so now I'm crying. This is beautiful, thank you for writing this. :')

• serein

re: oh hun you are the kindest. I love how you try to read one of my pieces before responding to me. So sweet :)

• BriRiley

Re: Haha

• serein

Oh what a beautiful poem!!! You really did a great job here!
    Oh gosh I wish I could help you! I have never had a panic attack before, but I definitely would have helped you if I could :)

• Busssy.Beee

oh my chicken! the rhyming is so satisfying!
    "She flirts with sadness; And dances in the darkness" gosh your diction is just so strong! your choice of words added with your pacing is just ooh, chills!
    hmm, I would really like to help with the panic attacks, but I don't have any experience with any of that stuff so :(
    hope you are having a spectacular day as well! ;)

• BriRiley

Re: yay! And sorry I had to republish that piece because I spelled my last name wrong XD
    This is so magical! And just... perfect!

• anemoia by a thread

That was absolutely beautiful. I’m sorry I can’t help you with that aspect of your writing, but this is just an incredible piece.