anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

It’s probably good that we don’t keep heavy whipping cream around the house. But we do still have many sticks of butter in the freezer...
I think I’m going to add heavy whipping cream to the shopping list.

A Twist on a Prompt = Your Favorite Scone Recipe

PROMPT: March Grab Bag

3
Write... a recipe for the perfect day (by Vista of Grace)

*OOPS* I misread this prompt and thought it called for an actual food recipe. But then I thought, why not? Let’s be unconventional. Scones are the ultimate perfect day baked good for me. (But I wouldn’t say no to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Or cheesecake. Or key lime pie. Or blackberry cobbler. Or salted caramel sauce straight off the stove, which I realize isn’t a baked good.) 

NOTE: The reason I have to halve my portions when I use the food processor is because my food processor is much too small. If yours is large enough, you DO NOT have to halve your portions and do each half separately. Just add the complete measure of the ingredients in each step.
NOTE: You can also do this manually. Yep. Whisk the dry ingredients, cut in the butter through a painful and arduous process, and then mix in the heavy whipping cream mix. Basically, just do everything without a food processor. (It sucks. I've tried.)

After trying both, I much prefer the recipe from SSR; however, the process by LWBO and my own trial and error needed to be made into a separate recipe. The only ingredient I modified was increasing the vanilla from ¼ teaspoon to ½ teaspoon; SSR called for ¼ and LWBO called for 1 teaspoon, which is a big difference. Because I like vanilla, I decided to meet in the middle at a ½ teaspoon.

Prep Time    20 min 
Cook Time    15 min
Chill Time    5-10 min
Total Time    40-45 min
Servings    8 scones

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ cup (half stick) very cold unsalted butter, cubed (keep frozen until ready to use)
  • ½ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • OPTIONAL: ½  cup of your favorite add-ins (Ideas: Blueberries, Blackberries, Dried or Fresh Cranberries, Pecan Halves, Raisins, Chopped Walnuts, Chopped/Slivered Almonds, Shredded Coconut)
  • OPTIONAL: Additional heavy cream for brushing over scones 
  • OPTIONAL: Additional coarse (turbinado) sugar for sprinkling over scones 
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190.556°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Combine half the amounts of the following ingredients in the basin of a food processor and pulse to combine: flour (1 cup), sugar (⅛ cup), baking powder (1 tsp), and salt (⅛ tsp).
  3. Add half of the cold cubed butter (¼ cup) to the flour mixture. Pulse until just combined
  4. In a separate mixing bowl or the measuring cup itself, combine half of the heavy cream (¼ cup) and vanilla (¼ tsp). Pour into the food processor.
  5. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. It will be very crumbly, but do not add any more liquid! Transfer the dough to a large, lightly floured cutting board.
  6. Next, add the second half of the flour and heavy cream mixture to the processor. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. Add this dough to the other half. Add any add-ins (fruit, nuts, chocolate, etc.)  at this point, gently working them into the dough.
  7. Here comes the hard part. Work the dough into a clump, taking care not to overwork it. It will be crumbly; it won’t be easy to get it all to adhere. Fold the dough in half over itself and gently flatten layers together. Rotate the dough 90 degrees and continue folding in half a few times. Form the dough into a smooth circle about 1 inch thick by 6-7 inches round.
  8. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Press the knife straight down with each cut. You may need to rinse/wipe the knife after a couple of cuts. Place the cutting board in the freezer for 5-10 minutes or until scones are chilled. (This is a great time to revert the kitchen into its pre-disaster state. Also known as cleaning up.)
  9. Remove the scones from the freezer and transfer to the baking sheet. Place them 1-2 inches apart. OPTIONAL: Pour a tiny bit (1-3 tsps) of heavy cream in a small container. With a basting/pastry brush, brush the scones lightly with heavy cream. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. 
  10. Bake at 375°F for 14-16 minutes or until edges are beginning to turn golden brown. The tops can be golden brown also; however, DO NOT overbake the scones, or they will be dry and tough. If you think they're slightly underdone, you can turn off the oven and allow them to sit for a little while. They will also continue to bake after their removal from the oven. Remove from the oven and allow scones to cool completely on the baking sheet.

Tips & Notes
Store the scones in an airtight container at room temp. or the fridge for 3-4 days. These are best eaten within a day or two!
You can freeze the scones in an airtight container or Ziploc for up to 3 months; microwave to defrost. Time will vary.
Variations: Lemon, Lime, or Orange Zest, Cinnamon (1-2 tsps of these)
I might come back to this and add a response to other prompts, or I might publish those separately. 
Disclaimer: I am not liable for any kitchen-related accidents, fires, injuries, or scone addictions. (Am I liable?)