Paisley Blue

she/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

i told the stars about you

thank you to Wisp, rwong, Busssy.Bee, and mirkat for all of the love and support :)

--

"My work is loving the world.
Here the sunflowers, there the hummingbird--
equal seekers of sweetness.
Here the quickening yeast; there the blue plums.
Here the clam deep in the speckled sand."
- "Messenger", Mary Oliver

"And I will show that nothing can happen more beautiful than death,
And I will thread a thread through my poems that time and event are compact,
And that all the things of the universe are perfect miracles, each as profound as any."
-Song of Myself (Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman)

an afternoon watching the sky

21

i. her windows are dirty

it seems like such a mundane thing to notice, but
    the sun is sinking and the grime is catching the light
in the most peculiar way.

it's the sort of thing that could never be captured
    in a photograph -- and yet she has to try
        anyways.

she snaps a picture without looking;
    maybe it will teach her the art of carelessness.

ii. there is snow melting

at the edges of the yard. it sinks into the ground
    making her boot come up muddy. it sinks into her skin,
        making her heart come up marked

with brown-mud fingerprints pressed along the seams.
    she watches the little river along the side of the curb
where the snow has turned to water and runs

through the leaves, under the cloudy sky,
    rushing out into the world, no matter what
lies on the other side.

iii. the sun's in her eyes

it makes her see the world through a golden curtain
    pulled over her vision -- the world doesn't look so important
when she can see her reflection in the refraction of the sun
    (it's blinding and yet it doesn't hurt.)

she angles her head so it sears into her, filling her
    eyes with the blood of gods. and always, always
in the corner of her vision,

she can see the heavens.

iv. she writes poetry

whenever she sees shadows
    against the smooth paint of her bedroom walls;
when the sun throws sharp relief against the white,

leaving imprints of objects stained against
    the backdrop. it seems like a work of art,
each minuscule detail copied painstakingly,

fading without being noticed. she tries to keep it
    in her mind, but even there it fades.

originally written 3.7.21

(for once, the narrator is not me but rather a part of my imagination)

• April 7, 2021 - 10:46am (Now Viewing)

• ArtisticCatbird2020

Eloquent and sophisticated, yet so simple... I love the way you capture these tiiiny little moments and expand them into such beautiful poems. As always, amazing work. :)

• psithurism

re: Ahhh thanks Elliot! I was worried that all my AP studying was driving me crazy after I wrote a poem using some of the terms! XD

• beth r.

"it makes her see the world through a golden curtain" yas imageryyy
    I'm with the previous commenter- i love the fact that your imagination is part of the narration- how unique! i love the way you describe the writing process of poetry in such a magical way.
    gorgeous work, hope you're doin' well!
    re: aw tysm <3

• crystalline•galaxies

making the narrator a part of your imagination is such a gorgeous premise. this whole entire piece really resonated with me in a way i can’t really articulate. i mean, “she angles her head so it sears into her, filling her/eyes with the blood of gods?” you’re literally a goddex.

• Coeur

re: Thanks so much!! I worked a bit on that piece, I'm glad you liked it <3<3.
    This is so pretty... I love how it's each a small piece but if you read it as all applying to the same girl it builds up a really interesting characterization for her. It's also about really relatable, down-to-eath things which is cool :))!! " filling her
    eyes with the blood of gods" is such a great line!!

• nolongeractive

This piece is so pretty and really original and I am obsessed with your creative ideas! Wonderful work!

• Caleb Urlacher

re: true, that's a fun way of looking at it

• Caleb Urlacher

re: Never knew writers block had different strains lol... that's pretty good. Yeah I completely get that haha. I'm pretty indecisive, so sometimes I have to focus in on one idea and knock it out of the park instead of going after a dozen

• Caleb Urlacher

re: The book has been going well. I just started on it again after a short break. I got this game called Kentucky Route Zero and it's inspired me a little lol.. I guess it's less of a game and more of an interactive art experience. The writing and dialogue made me miss poetry so I jumped back into it earlier than I expected.

• Caleb Urlacher

hey paisley! how's it been

• Busssy.Beee

Re: i hope life's been treating you well, too. have you done anything exciting recently?
    yayayay!! just a quick question: do you prefer cyn or cynnie? but ahhh!! i love you so much too!! <3

• xx carolina xx

re: (in response to "themeless"): THIS THO. THIS.

• rwong

re: omg omg omg you got a puppy???? ahhhhhhh i want a puppyyyyyyyy i have a 3 yr old doggo named cola and once you know that i probably won't shut up about her bc literally i love that dog so much (ask mir lol who has my email...she will definitely tell you how much i talk about cola) what breeds are tully and finn? ahh wish i could see them (and you too ofc!!) bc im literally slightly dog crazy. just slightly ;)
    okay how have i been? hmmmm okay we went for a spring break trip to yosemite and we just came back yesterday and it was sooo pretty there like the rocks and the trees and the stars especially and everything about it just felt otherworldly and beautiful and also all the fresh air and it just felt so big there but yeaa it was super fun :)

• sadtimeshuh

firstly this is such a great piece!!! i love your tone - it borders on this comforting line between a colloquial/stream-of-consciousness tone and a more formal/traditional poetry tone and it works really well!! also i’m so excited to know that you like lizzy mcalpine too!!! (well i’m just assuming you do from the comment you left hahaha) <333

• rwong

l;aksdfjasfdl;kj how in the world ell did i miss this as;lkdfj arghhhhhhhhh this is so beautiful and the flow and the word choice and and the imagery and everything just aslkd;fja;kslj (okay yes i'm aware this comment is 50% keyboard smashes, 40% me not knowing what to say aka v illogical and 10% kinda makes sense if i'm being generous) but okay seriously ell...this is beautiful and im speechless (clearly) and yeaaa la;jsdf;lk still mad i missed this; anyway how are you?? sending love <3 <3 <3

• Busssy.Beee

Re: :D im doing quite well. im out of town for spring break, so ive been chilling around utah and arizona. though, there is very weak signal most of the time haha. life's been generally going pretty easy-going. hbu?
    oh, and one more thing, i made a small nickname for you! would you mind if i called you Cyn or Cynnie? these are just shortenned version of the word cynosure, which means, "a person or thing that is the center of attention or admiration." for me, you're that person that i admire so very much. let me know what you think! <3

• Blue Jay

Wow this is stunning. I love how you described everything, the shadows on the walls, how the windows are dirty. I especially loved how you described " the little river along the side of the curb. You described it in such a pretty way, and honestly, what is that thing called anyways? A street gutter? A snow runoff redirector?

re: Thank You

• nolongeractive

Omg this is absolutely marvelous and I love how emotional it is! I really like the title and the lowercase styling, and the piece is just in touch with your heart and it really shows! Amazing job!

• Yes_iKnowimShort

re: Thank you so much! I think I will write her a letter... thank you for the advice! :) (I said thank you twice-)

oh wait see i wanted to tell you about the case of the shuttered bookstore but ofc i forgot bc my short term memory is shot. sooooo yesterday i walked to the bookstore which well its only like 1.5 miles away but its all hilly where i live so like we hardly walk to the main part of town but um i walked cause i found a giftcard and it was closed so i had to walk back without a book which was sad and then today i was like lets try this again and me and my brother went this time and it literally closed just a half hour before we got there arghhhhh so we had to walk back booookkklessss againnnn. and then ofc we'll be gone the rest of the week so jdwisoqsdifjdopsosodf bookless mir is nit happy mir. thus endth thy story. <3<3<3

"it's the sort of thing that could never be captured
    in a photograph"
    okay yes i take pictures like all day every day and you're right! they are things that just can't be captured in photos. same thing with writing, no matter how hard we try. yeah i just love the flowing nature of this poem and sure its not the most intriguing things to write about but there is a gentle, delicate air about it.
    re: okay so ha yes the no context thing!! made me crack up reading you cracked up! so... my dad and his sister (my aunt) rode their bikes pretty much everywhere because it was a small town. they rode to this university campus a lot and according to my dad it "seemed like a good idea" to throw their bikes off... they "liked to watch things fall" um so im convinced my dad was a moron when he was a kid but yes interesting stories! my aunt's bike snapped in half basically but my dad's bike remained intact somehow. there's your story. for the train thing, he was putting palm fronds and sticks on the rails with his best friend and conspirator. which, of course, is not a good idea but thats not the worst of it. then the train came while he was on the rails and he had to dive bomb into the bushes. yeah when i write it out it seems very dramatic, something from a movie.... hehehahaha. anyways wow jeez your dad and the car and wow that story just kept getting better and better!!!! totally a movie moment too. like not only does he drive into the lake (sounds beautiful by the way) but then the police come... love it. ha, yeah meeting in person like im sure im going to come accross at least one book written by you, and of course the loads of other wonderful writers on here. ill be like hmm okay yeah i called it, you did great things. also:
    "omg you have a book nerd shirt you just rose in status i mean, you were already very high on the friend-o-meter. but. this just brought you up one extra notch."
    same to you, buddy! i like your shirt blurb better though. thats amazing. oh oh yes thank u for mentioning jo cause i gotta remind my mom to help find a place to fix ours. honestly all i want for my birthday (which is in like six months so why am i thinking about my bday already i dont know) are books and the typewriter fixed oh and maybe a dslr camera. yep. the end. okay leaving tomorrow morning so probs wont get back to you for a while but lots o love blue! <3<3<3

*happy sigh* I just love this piece so much