rwong

~average teen writer/poet~
lover of historical fiction books (especially WWII)
dog lover
pianist
musical lover

joined september 19, 2020

say hi to my amazing wtw friends: mirkat, Paisley Blue, lochnessie, and SunV
and my irl friend: JMkittycat

"never dim the light that shines from within." - maya angelou
"poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words." - robert frost
"all you have to do is write one true sentence. write the truest sentence that you know." - ernest hemingway

i don't think i can describe my emotions any other way

8
i.
i was told once that disappointment fades as one gets better
so i guess that must make me a no one
for i've never slipped from your glaring grasp of displeasure
no matter how many hours i spend struggling to slip from your view

ii.
i've always known clumsiness like i have an old friend
but today i tripped over your words and fell
i shattered my self esteem like an iphone with a broken screen
and cut myself on the minuscule shards of glass every time i tried to call for help

iii.
i think there's pain shooting up my heart but i'm too tired to care
i think i'd like to lay down in the grave i never knew i dug
in my quest for the discovery of my self worth
one day you keep saying but it's been 5217 days and my arms are sore

iv.
i wonder if you know how hard it is to keep shoveling
when all that echoes around you are the lectures of those yelling from above
clutching their confidence because they've already reached the stars
but sorry, you've got to find yours in the dirt

v.
i feel like a magician trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat
but instead of a rabbit it's a smile and i've lost the hat so i'm lost
i'd rather receive your love than your lecture
but maybe that's not possible so i think i'll succumb to the pain 

i think i'll let my waves of tears crash onto shore today, controlled by the lantern of the sky that has failed to light my path tonight, and i'll pray that the sun will not be obscured by clouds tomorrow.

i'm surrounded by people who have found something they excel at and will get them far in life, and most days i wonder what happened such that my dreams still feel out of reach while theirs already came true.

• Charisse Marison

This is just GORGEOUS! And don't worry darling, you will go VERY far in life. Dreams can take time, and that's ok <3

• nolongeractive

This is so pretty and simple yet relatable. I just love how emotional your writing it is, and how you pair it with so much simplicity. I cannot wait to see what you do next!

• CowsinTrees

Re; thanks for your comment! <3

• lochnessie

WRITING SHELL IT'S WRITING

• lochnessie

um shell ---- do i have to spell this out how have you not found something you excel at

• crystalline•galaxies

this is just... wow. your use of metaphors in this piece is just to die for. it’s absolutely gorgeous. like, wow, this whole piece is amazing. the metaphor with the iphone was probably my favorite. and about the footnotes — i’m sorry you’re feeling like that. remember that you’re still young, and you’ve got your whole life ahead of you to experience and enjoy. life has a funny way of never going exactly as you expect and yet sometimes, it gets it right.
    re: oh my goodness, thank you so much! i still can’t get over what happened, it’s like my brain just stopped once it happened and it hasn’t started back up again. i’m so glad you liked the writing, too!

oh mann shelli this is painful!! and so, so good. if you haven't figured out that writing is something that you excel at, well... sorry to break the news to you, but YOU'RE AMAZING AND I LOVE YOUR WORK AND YOU'RE SO SO SO TALENTED!! oh my goodness stanza ii is probably my favorite although i also love iii and v ahhhh this is such a beautiful beautiful poem. you know... i haven't actually told anyone this before but i think it's almost disappointing when dreams come true because im one of those people who romanticizes the end result so much that it ends up stabbing me in the back and i'm almost happier when i'm left to anticipate and dream about what will someday come...? i guess? idk this might not be making you feel better i'm mostly just rambling. but that is true. i usually like the journey better than the end result.
    anyways i missed you this week!! hope you're doing well, all my love <333 so good to read more of your work :)

• happygiggles

"i think i'd like to lay down in the grave i never knew i dug" a line that I really enjoyed and resonated with me, this entire piece is fantastic. :)
    In regards to your footnotes, I completely get where you're coming from, but we'll get there someday. It'll all work out, God has a plan for each and every one of us <3