Booklover12

Hi! I’m a 14 year old girl that loves to read, write, and do anything with words. I live in Canada and play hockey, softball and I dance. I’m an introvert and am almost always found with my nose in a book. (Mostly fantasy) I also love chocolat! :)

Hi! I'd love any feedback on this piece. Thanks for reading!

The Lies that We are Told

Equality. 

Equality for all races, for all genders, for people of varying physical and mental states, for all sexualities. Equality for all.
A word that means so much to so many people. It’s definition and meaning differs from person to person, but one thing remains the same no matter whom you ask. It’s a word that means hope

A dizzying number of people are discriminated against, and way too many people have to fight for equality. Even as a fourteen year old I continuously fight an awful type of discrimination.

Sexism. 

But, sexism no longer exists, right? No. Contrary to what many people believe, sexism is still a thing that is hurting women everyday. My encounters with this type of discrimination have not always been long, nor have they been devastating...but they still hurt.

As a teenage girl in a fairly conservative school, I have waged a constant battle with dress codes. Ah, the age-old debate about what’s appropriate to wear to school. Now, I completely agree that people should not be walking into schools naked. But little do most people realize, the way schools enforce dress codes is usually sexist. 
In the United States, around 53 percent of schools have strict dress codes, the majority of them discriminating against girls. They usually specifically target girls of color or people that are a part of the LGBTQIA+ community. I’m not a part of either of the groups that are specifically targeted, but I am still a girl. 
In my school, as well as many other schools worldwide, girls are prohibited from wearing shorts. 
Or tank tops. 
Or skirts shorter than your knee. 
Or any article of clothing that shows your shoulder. 
Well, the boys have limitations on what they can wear too, right? Yes, they do. Muscle shirts. That’s all, just one type of clothing that isn’t in style as it is. 
If one questions why the dress code is so geared toward female students, the majority of schools will give the same response. These clothes distract the male students and staff of the school. In saying those words the schools are practically saying that because male students do not have the self-control to stay focused when they spot a girl’s shoulder, the girl must be punished. That because the forty-year-old men that teach at the schools are distracted by their female students, the girls should be punished. Personally, if that is the case, I think that you may need to find new teachers, and maybe give the boys a lesson on self-control. Because it’s the girls who have to miss lessons to go change, which could result in them being confused when they return. Not to mention, getting dress coded is mortifying and supports body shaming. If a girl in the seventh grade wore the same shirt as a girl in ninth grade only the girl in grade nine would be punished. All because she has a more mature body. They are telling us to be ashamed of our bodies and to hide them for the well-being of boys. This isn’t right. This needs to change.

Sexism against women is found in more places than just schools, such as sports.
The number of female athletes is growing daily with more and more girls joining sports every year, but that doesn’t mean the sexist stereotypes towards female athletes have halted.

I play hockey. I’ve played for ten years now, but the teasing has never ceased. When I was little I played with the boys and was harassed because of my gender. Once I switched over to female hockey we always ended up with the smallest change rooms and the worst ice times. To this day the rink refuses to hang the banner that we won because we’re a female team. But by far, the worst thing is that I constantly get told that female hockey isn’t real hockey. This doesn’t only happen in hockey, it happens in most sports.
 I don’t know about you, but I love to watch sports. Female sports are my favorite, because it’s empowering. The problem is that female athletes are never on TV. You may be wondering, who wants to watch women play sports anyway? Well, seeing as the 2018 female tennis final had one of the highest number of viewers that year, lots of people do. Little girls shouldn’t be discouraged from playing sports. This isn’t right. This needs to change.
There are even places where sexism has affected livelihoods and work.
 If a woman and a man go into the same interview with the same qualifications, the man is more likely to get the job. Why? To be honest I have no idea. Most employers prefer male workers over female workers. And, if by some chance the female contender does get the job there is a very high chance that she will get paid less. On average women make 19 percent less than men in the workplace. Many women get paid 80,000 to 900,000 dollars less than men in their lifetime. This isn’t right. This needs to change. 

Women have been discriminated against for a very long time. For centuries we weren’t even considered human beings, and in many places we are still considered lesser than men. There are so many girls, young and old, being treated terribly all because they are not men. And those people are right. We aren’t men, we’re women. Strong and capable. Capable of being anything we want to be. The lies that we’ve been told about needing to wait for men to help us, to save us, are wrong. The lies about needing to look a certain way or dress a certain way are wrong. What makes girls less capable than boys? What makes men more useful than women? The chance of finding an answer to that question is slim because there isn’t one. So yes, sexism is still a thing. And you know what? This isn’t right. This needs to change.

• nolongeractive

This is outstanding and your words just are so lovely and impactful.

Wow, this was such an important piece and you wrote well! I love "It’s a word that means hope. "
    And aww, when you said that they won't hang up your banner, I felt so sad for you! I hope they do someday!
    "The lies that we’ve been told about needing to wait for men to help us, to save us, are wrong." and "an answer to that question is slim because there isn’t one" were really powerful!! RE: Awww, thank you!!

• Draco Malfoy

Re: thank you soooo much
    Btw love this piece!
    I hope that you keep writing these amazing stories and ideas