Abrianna

Writer
American
Patriot
Bibliophile
Thinker
Logican
Pianist
History Addict
Seventeen

Joined: August 16, 2020

Per aspera ad astra!

"So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install A lovely bookshelf on the wall. Then fill the shelves with lots of books." -Roald Dahl

Brave, Simple

16
Walking down the street was,
a girl,
She looked happy and silent,
and I watched.

I watched as another came up,
a woman,
She looked mean faced,
and I watched closer.

The girl had beautiful eyes, 
a lovely smile.
Her steps were purposeful,
and I admired.

The woman stopped and when,
she spoke, 
I didn't like her voice,
Or her words.

"You shouldn't wear that."
The woman spat,
"Like you're proud.
Of this trashy place."

The wondering eyes flashed, 
blue fire,
"Oh but I am!
My country and me, we are one."

"This! This is my place, where,
my soul is free.
I don't care what you may think,
I've studied history."

"She's the best home,
for me,
I love her and you should simply,
let me be."

The woman gaped and I,
gazed.
The girls smile flashed and,
she was gone.

The woman shook herself,
muttering,
"Stupid child, her parents,
must be fools."

I was alone then at,
my window,
Smiling to myself at the thought,
of bravery.

I will leave my reader to,
wonder,
What the girl wore,
and who is in the wrong.

And I will continue,
to watch.

• Parisienne

re: Oh, I love that bit of Gatsby too!! I also love the section when Nick is imagining all the people he could be with or go to parties with. He says something like ‘I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes’ and that really hits deep for me. Yes, I agree Nick was the only genuine person that Gatsby met. It’s such a powerful book!
    Yess I must read matilda again, it’s just so funny!
    Thank you, I am really glad you enjoyed visiting ‘The Desert City’
    Have a great day, it’s lovely chatting with you :)

• aalawrites

ohh this is really good! nice work!
    Re: I'm glad you're liking we have always lived in the castle. I haven't read anything by jack london yet (i've been pretty busy with school right now - it's my last year :( )but it's definitely on my tbr list. let me know how you found it when you finish!

• Parisienne

re: thank you so much, I am so sorry for that person who is close to you (although I am certain they are lucky to have you around them for comfort). Breakup's are so hard! I agree there is so much power is exorcising emotions through writing, and I love sharing on this site because people like you remind me I am not alone.
    I loveee Fitzgerald's Gatsby (It's the only one of his I have read, do you like it too?). Also I adore your Roald Dahl Matilda quote - I used to read that book all day long when I was younger. It's a fantastic story!
    Hope you are having a great day :)

I love this! I really loved how you described the girl as beautiful and then her dialogue was the only part of the poem that rhymed! I thought that was a really smart decision! I also love "the woman gaped and I, gazed" the two words starting with g added some great rhythm! I hope this helped (I'm really new to this so I don't have a lot to say but, you're an amazing writer!)

Wow this is beautiful!

• Parisienne

This is stunning!! :)

• Kasilee

Love this, beautifully written!!!

• HeyThereRose

re: ah i think basils my favourite too! even when he found out dorians secret he never saw dorian as evil but as a victim, and tried to save him and look out for him. James vane too is such a tragic character, full of love and revenge for his sister, i've just had the bit where hes died and Dorians relief at his death is just so shocking in its peacefulness? idkk but it cut me deepp. such a good book!

• lilli17

hey i need help writing a song its called "youth" lmk what u think

• Ava Marie

This is sooooo goooood!!!!!!!!!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

oooooohhhh you constructed this so well, left me very curious

• lilli17

re: thanks you can add to that one to if you want, I get stuck sometimes so I post them on here for help, feel free to tell me how you feel about my songs and also always feel free to add on any

• lilli17

re: to keep hatin- if it's not your style don't worry about it, I'm just stuck and I need a new song for Saturday

• lilli17

re: to youth- its all a metaphor they shoot missiles by hating and they down us bc we are young and inexperienced

• lilli17

sorry i meant its called- keep hateing

• lilli17

hey your rhyme is really good, I actually making a song rn, I got stuck so I posted it asking if anyone can help me finish it, I wrote the chorus. I was wondering if you could check it out and maybe help me finish it, ill be rapping it on stage and if I like your rhyme with it ill add your part to my song. so what do you say? It's called youth.

• resident philocalist

This left me with so many questions but its ok because its an awesome piece and youre an awesome writer :)

• (sk)eyesofocher

this is so empowering. I love the message--I LOVE IT