Avril

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door."

seventeen years old
joined June 2020
follower of Jesus :)

I love to write reviews, so if you need one let me know in a comment on one of my pieces!

The rhythm and rhyme in this are a bit flawed and I would love suggestions on how to improve it!
Thanks for reading my piece :)

The Distance

13

Someone I know almost died yesterday.
When I heard, I was shocked,
    "How can that be?
     He seemed just fine to me." 

But then I remembered.
I haven't seen him in weeks
I haven't seen him in months.

The last time I saw him we sat on the grass,
And now the ground is buried in snow.

I remember
We used to watch from our row
to my left, to my right,
sat friend after friend to the overflow.

Now we watch from our homes
To my left, to my right,
are a lamp and a window.

Is that why no one knew
What he
was going through?

I haven't seen half of them since March,
the other half, since August.
I never would have thought
That I would have to live my life
without them.

How much more will be missed?
We keep our distance
to save our lives
but how many lives 
will be lost in the distance?

Someone I know almost died yesterday
And I didn't even know
he was struggling.
Who would have thought this would last for a year? Will the world ever go back to normal?

Wow! This is so powerful and I love it! I also love how you didn't explicitly say we're all stuck at home but rather used a lamp and window to show it which was really cool! This is such an emotional piece and I feel like it's very universal, amazing job!! And ahhhh, I knowww!! Everyone just needs to follow guidelines so the world can go back to normal cause COVID has made everything suck! RE: Thank you so much!! :)

• nolongeractive

Re: Thank you so much!

• nolongeractive

Re: WOW, this is so deep, meaningful, and impactful and I read it four times lol, it really meant a lot for this to published and I can tell that your writing will mean a lot to a ton of people!

• Renegade_Writer [ChildOfGod]

Very nice! So your profile says you like to write reviews so if that's true, I have a piece called "No Thank You Prince Charming (Song Lyrics)" that I really need/want to be reviewed! Thanks and God bless! I appreciate it!

• Awesome Sienna

Re: Thank you so much!

• CowsinTrees

Wow. This is powerful I love it <3
    Also re: thank you so much!!

• løne wølf [semi-hiatus]

lovely. heartwrenchingly lovely, with such a powerful meaning behind it! <3 the title is perfect!!

re: thank you so much for your comment! lol my dad taught me typing when i was seven and i have been typing a lot since then :D

• journal.scribbles

Wow. This piece is so powerful. Sadly, this is something to which so many people can relate right now. I'm really glad I got to read this. Thank you for publishing it and giving a voice to this distance that's sometimes scary to acknowledge.

• barelybear

Aww this is so devastatingly beautiful! And really thought-provoking!
    Re: Thank you! Ahah I’m so glad it wasn’t just me with the diary thing. I’ve been reading it through recently and I’m not sure whether I should be most shocked by the spelling, the illustrations or the handwriting haha. Still, it was pretty fun :D
    Have a great day!

• Zirong

"We keep our distance/to save our lives/but how many lives/will be lost in the distance?"

OMG this question definitely deserves much more attention! This piece broke my heart -- I hope you and your friend are doing well. <3

re: thank you so much! :)

• doodleninja

re: aw thank you so much! so glad you enjoyed it! :)

• SamRose

Re: Thank you! :)

Re: Np! Hooray, and yes I am! (also this is lovely) And aww tysm! You're very kind :D

• Yellow Sweater

Re: thank you so much for your comment! I am glad you found the piece thought provoking! I loved reading your thoughts:)