Cornflower Burst

Hufflepuff
Lover of odd things
Daughter of Athena
May the odds be ever in your favor

Why do I write?
If I didn't the words would drown me.

"Life is nothing without a little chaos to make it interesting." -Amelia Atwater-Rhodes-

"We are what we believe we are." -C.S. Lewis-

"We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need within ourselves all ready: we have the power to imagine better." -J.K. Rowling-

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett-

"The biggest threat is a girl with a book." -Madame Gandhi-

"Live fast, die young, bad girls do it well." -MIA-

"Forget the bull in the china shop, there's a china doll in the bullpen." -Dessa-

I Hate Poetry

6
I'm a writer. I've written a ton of short stories, and have thought of even more. I like to pretend I'm this Shakespeare-esque figure. But I'm not. Because I have a bit of a secret. I hate poetry. I don't write. I read it, yes, and often wonder at others' skill and wish I could have that ability. I'm not very good about things I'm not good at. I have a habit of dismissing things I don't excel in as pointless, or not so important. It's not like that for poetry, though. I see the way people adore poetry. The way it is like the supreme mode of writing. But poetry just doesn't feel right. It's not like short stories, which seem to flow naturally. It's not even like the foreign languages I speak, which don't flow as easily but I can still harness. Poetry when I try to write it is gross. It never turns out quite write. It's a swamp imperfections, which I simply cannot stand. So I don't write poetry. I avoid like the plague (I could say like coronavirus, but that feels a little too current). I read it, but never write it. Still, I want to. I want to read a poem I've written and go, Oh, this is actually pretty good. Perhaps this a self-confidence problem. I kind of doubt that. I'm extremely confident in my own talent. Over-confident, even. but that's not the point. I don't know why I hate poetry, but I can still speculate. Maybe it's because I don't understand poetry. I guess I've kind of always liked the explainable. Math, for example. Where everything makes sense. There are rules. They don't change, and if they do, then there are other rules. Art and Music I've never been super keen on, until we started doing music theory. Then I was all for it. Perhaps this means I like things to be structures, to not go beyond what has been developed. But that's pretty bad for me. You only go down in history as writer if you're a genius, and you're only seen as a genius if you re-imagine the field. So how am I supposed to go down in history if I don't write poetry? I don't know. I guess I'll have to satisfy myself with the fact that I can still be an awesome novelist.
Did this end up a poem? I'm not certain. Would be funny if it did.

• Ava Marie

Re: Thank you!!!

• BriRiley

Re: Yes! I totally get that!

• nolongeractive

This is outstanding and your words just are so lovely and impactful. Your writing will definitely change the world! I also love the title too; great work!

• Charles Oleander

when you wrote this i really heard you, im new to your work and when i went through it and gave your most recent pieces a look. i really like them! and i think it's so admirable you're trying to improve at an art form you're not very comfortable with, it's genuinely inspiring and i think that if you keep pursuing what feels right above all else while trying to expand your horizons, you'll become the author you want to be! i think one thing that has helped me feel more comfortable in writing poetry is, just remember who you're writing for when you write poetry and if possible, try to have that be yourself!

i wish you the best of luck in your journey and you have a supporter from hereon out!

• BriRiley

Yes! I’m not very good at poetry! I even have a poem on WtW titled my bad poem. XD And I agree with you guys, reading poetry is more fun than writing it. This is so relatable! I love it!

• Ava Marie

I for one love reading poetry, but I can't write it for the life of me so I resonate with this a lot!! You are a very talented writer!