anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

guess where in the comments!
see footnotes for more background
anything confusing in here? i'm sure there is, so please help me with that

i'm just republishing rn. life's kinda crazy, and i really need to do other stuff. big projects on hold, but i'll keep songwriting.

Right of Way

Write... a descriptive piece about your favorite city/place without revealing the location! That's for your readers to guess! (by Saloni Soni)

Inhale.
    That's what fresh air tastes like: hope, renewed strength, purity, cedar wood, and greenery.
    Exhale. 
    This is your second home.
    Start around 5000 feet in elevation. Look at the sandstone surrounds this town. Isn't it alive with something... something better than any metropolis could ever possess? Take the mountain pass between the two cities. it's your favorite drive of all time, you say. When you reach the summit, is there anything to do but gaze at the world?
    Stop at the little restaurant in the town on the other side of the mountain. Order something surprisingly gourmet for brunch and a huckleberry soda in what looks like a Dos Equis bottle. 
    Be glad that it's summer, and you can still get across the mountains. Drive to an unloading spot, where you strap into the UTV and begin the long journey up the mountain. Watch rust-colored rocks and sand be replaced by dark soil and lichen-covered boulders. Watch cacti and juniper and pinyon pine be replaced by tall evergreens and lush grass as you navigate rocky switchbacks. Aspens appear, with their moon-kissed bark and quaking leaves. Feel the temperature drop, and let the wind rustle your hair.
    Close your eyes as sunshine pours itself on you. Watch a kaleidoscope of butterflies swirl and swarm over swaying grass. 
    Continue the journey. There's snow on your right that will never melt, even in the summer; you're almost past the treeline now. Cedars, pines, firs—all grow smaller, stunted, and gone. Shrubs and measly grass dart up between the boulders now. You've hit over 10,000 feet, at least.
    When you finally begin the descent, you revel in the changes that come with it. Temperature climbs, vegetation increases, timber gives way to cacti—and then you're back where you started, ready to traverse the mountain pass again and return to the other town. 
    The same changes are present on this pass. Start low, in the desert, and ascend into needle-covered forest floors. Aspens are abundant here, too. The stands may not be the purest you've ever seen, but they'll always be the most stunning tree.
    Pass through open gates that will close when the first snowfall arrives. It's been a full summer day. Drive past a gas station and the bakery that you've never been to (although you want to) and tap the brakes as you approach a stoplight. Set against the backdrop of plateaus and sandstone mesas, it's hard to be angry, even when the ex-Army Jeep across the street takes the right=of-way that was yours.
    You're safe in the knowledge that you have the right-of-way to the simple pleasures of life.
I don't know what happened... I guess it's written to myself, in a way. It's not *scientifically accurate* but most of it are true experiences.
This is not about the place I live—not even the same state—so feel free to guess away! There's a general vicinity, then the two specific towns I'm referencing.

re: oof i feel that haha thats like me wishing i could read the ending of my stories. cause idk them either XD
    re/re: hmmm..utah? or maybe nevada? ive never been to either of those states (i have montana--not colorado tho)

okay...i wanna say colorado bc of aspen trees...but also maybe montana bc of huckleberries? but the plateau and sandstone make me go back to colorado. hmm...now i wanna know where this is. any more clues? lol
    that aside, this is beautiful. you describe it so so perfectly and i love it!

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

Oh my God.
    This is so beautiful.

• Saloni Soni

Wow this is so cool! I really like what you've done with my prompt!!

• Yellow Sweater

I would guess somewhere in the Rockies.....?

Here’s a hint: it’s in the western half of the USA

• BriRiley

I have no clue where this is XD But this is a really cool description! And i never know what happens when i start to write. it starts out as one thing then it changes halfway through XD

ah excuse all the typos! grrr