Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Living in a National Historic Landmark

3
My town is a Victorian woman who has lost her virginity, trying to hide her bloody underwear. The girlish lilac so many houses are slathered in feels off, like rough on already flushed cheeks. 

There is a man with a brass pocket watch who conducts a tour of all the haunted mansions and sewers, after an hour he sends the tourists off for pizza and cheap souvenirs. But we’re still living here, paying way too much in rent.

I have never liked brass. It reminds me of the tacky steampunk fair that used to commandeer downtown every summer. It’s burnished, but not rusted, a little like antiquated plastic.  

My town irritates me for the same reason I can't spend more then a day in Disneyland. Theme Parks are soul crushing. Evolution is staunched by mechanized aesthetics. That’s not to say there aren't beautiful places. History is lovely when it is allowed to crumble. And we are touched by the corrosive ocean breeze. 

Every home has an attic, full of spiderwebs and bright sunlight. The bricks smell old and metallic, like hard working hands. And there is a deep silence in the sprawling graveyard at dusk, when the daisies close their petals and their eyes.

You have such beautiful imagery and juxtaposition- I mean "corrosive" ocean breeze and saying theme parks are soul-crushing. Such amazing ideas!
    RE: Aww thank you, I can't wait to read it! And aww thank you so much!! :)

• avoiding the big bang

omg thank u so much! for the recommendations and for listening to every song - you didn’t have to lol. i haven’t listened to much of asgeir but i definitely will now. i listened to summer guest and i love it! thanks!

• Starlitskies

bold and brilliant.
    "The bricks smell old and metallic, like hard working hands." - I love this simile.