Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Living in a National Historic Landmark

8
My town is a Victorian woman who has lost her virginity, trying to hide her bloody underwear. The girlish lilac so many houses are slathered in feels off, like rough on already flushed cheeks. 

There is a man with a brass pocket watch who conducts a tour of all the haunted mansions and sewers, after an hour he sends the tourists off for pizza and cheap souvenirs. But we’re still living here, paying way too much in rent.

I have never liked brass. It reminds me of the tacky steampunk fair that used to commandeer downtown every summer. It’s burnished, but not rusted, a little like antiquated plastic.  

My town irritates me for the same reason I can't spend more then a day in Disneyland. Theme Parks are soul crushing. Evolution is staunched by mechanized aesthetics. That’s not to say there aren't beautiful places. History is lovely when it is allowed to crumble. And we are touched by the corrosive ocean breeze. 

Every home has an attic, full of spiderwebs and bright sunlight. The bricks smell old and metallic, like hard working hands. And there is a deep silence in the sprawling graveyard at dusk, when the daisies close their petals and their eyes.

Wow, I have no idea how you wrote it so beautifully. I literally can't write prose poetry for the life of me but oh my, you can!! You included just enough information and enough backstory. I love the "Evolution is staunched by mechanized aesthetics. That’s not to say there aren't beautiful places. History is lovely when it is allowed to crumble. And we are touched by the corrosive ocean breeze. " and last paragraph- oh my, it's soooo beautiful!! Especially "daisies close their petals and their eyes"

• Booklover12

Re: Thank you for saying yes! It means a lot!

• Booklover12

Wow! I'm speechless. The way in which you write is so lyrical and captivating. I didn't want it to end and couldn't make my eyes tear away from the words. I honestly do think that you are an amazing writer and I didn't say all this just so that you would feel inclined to accept. The fact that I loved this so much is the honest truth, I promise. But, I would really love your opinion on my entry for the March competition. It's called The Lies that we are Told. If not that is completely fine. I would just love for your feedback.