Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

This is very weird. I am not so sure what I think.

Puncturable

4
I'm terrified the hail is going to break my windows, and then, maybe my bones.

I feel delicate, at the mercy of atmospheric pressure. Hunching my shoulders, I shelter my precious heartbeat. The sky is omnipresent. It isn’t supposed to hurt me.

My skin is bruisable, puncturable. Like a nuclear warhead, the hail is an existential threat to my flimsy, perfect armor.  

I wander into the kithen. The rhythm is off this evening. A gust of wind, a jarring clatter, then a long bout of dreadful silence. I don’t know how I'm going to sleep tonight. I’ll just make myself a pot of tea and wait for the kettle to whistle.

Also, if you ever have time I would really appreciate a review on my piece "Him". It's only my second attempt at prose and, well, you're really amazing at it so I'd love to know how to improve. But no worries if you don't have time :)

Awww no, I don't think this is weird at all, I really like this piece! I love how all your work kind of can touch on how we're so insignificant in this universe and compares us to nature and stuff- or at least that's what I pick from it. I love how you end it with "and wait for the kettle to whistle"- I don't know what it is about it, I guess it just gives the piece a really nice sense of completion!
    Also a book recommendation: I don't know if you've read this already but I'm reading Life of Pi right now and it's really awesome- I think you might enjoy the way it's written!

Weird but deliciously interesting