spectral

黃愛莉
| she/her | chinese american |
memory & mortality & madness
and the player dreamed;
50~ Sept. 2020

still highly recommend the end poem by julian gough ive been chasing that poetic high ever since i read it. i recommend reading it on the wiki, not genius, as it is formatted better there. dont disregard it just cause its from a video game, y'all, art comes in all forms and this is one of them.

exercises in clarity

21
close your eyes and

inhale; the ground under your feet and the sky over your head. the universe cups you in its fingers, and you can feel its heartbeat in its palms because its all around you, life sings within you and you

exhale; the flourish of a flag and the graze of a finger; bodies hearts minds move as one because in the end we're one- the music thrums to a stop, and time slows to a halt for a brief beautiful moment then you're up and you're chest is proud and before the audience begins to cheer you

inhale; shift your fingers near imperceptibly, the sound ripples in the hall- the music (you're making with your hands head heart oh it moves) breaks and falls and layers in waves of rhythm; the tide breaks in unison and you

breathe.
alright so i asked some people i know what brings them clarity- they replied scenery and playing/listening to music. for me, dancing in an ensemble/colorguard gives me clarity (among other things but how do i say playing minecraft brings me clarity in poetry hmmm??) thats what this is about.
its in exercise in the vibe bro yknow... i know im not the best in flowery prose/imagery/or whatever you wanna call it- i've always been a very blunt writer, and i know this, but i'm trying something different. will likely unpublish later, but its fun to see what y'all have to say.

2

DIDBJDJDNDBHD AHHHH I JUST SAW YOUR MEESAGE BOX IM SO FLATTERED
    girrrrlll you and me both

• Just_A_Memory

I breathed in and out when it said to xD

• SamRose

Yes I love it! So deep and meaningful! Good job! :)

• BriRiley

I love how you wrote this piece! It really putts the world into perspective! XD You did an amazing job!

• Busssy.Beee

Oh gosh, the sense of peace and tranquility coming from your beautiful lines of words is incredible. Everything fits so well with each other; everything flowing back to music. Every word of this feels as if it is one part of this magnificent mosaic! This feels so melodic and generally lovely!

Well Anisa said a ton of stuff that I wish I'd thought of but this is lovely

i really really like this spectral. it's nice that you're trying out different things. i think that is you mixed this with what you call your "blunt writing" it would be really good; more balanced with imagery and emotion. remember that you can mix them. althougg i have read a lot of your work with beautiful imagery and just beautiful in general so.
    also,i've learnt that unpublishing isn't beneficial,maybe the contrary even. having this published just adds to record your growth as a writer and how your pieces evolve to what you want to achieve. i hope i made sense. this isn't me telling you what to do or not to do,just some advice/opinion. anyways hope you're doing well<3

• serein

Wow. I am blown away by the imagery and just the flowing way this piece moves. Truly beautiful. I loved every word!