Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

A Brick Foundation

PROMPT: Dream Big

4
All writing is a form of deconstruction. Words are a semiotic representation of reality rather than reality itself.  We artists are ambitious, foolhardy, a little arrogant. We build dreams out of brick and mortar. My imagination is like an old quilt, cut-cloth details and applique. Sometimes the stitching comes loose and I can see my stuffing spilling out. 

With a body like mine, it’s worth the futility. I’m nothing but a scarecrow anyway. And confined to a sweaty bed, where else do I have to go but inwards, outwards, into the dreamworld? 

I like to picture my past, to perfect it. 

I’m a three year old math prodigy. We move to a hippy commune when I’m six. My dad’s an entrepreneur. We stay in a castle in Provence that one summer. I’m published in the New York Times. I get accepted into the University of Chicago. I win a Nobel Prize!  

All I really want is to breathe the spring air, and to run, leaving my scarecrow-body behind. 

1

Wow this was beautiful! I love how your writing is so ambiguous and yet at the same time- so clearly has a purpose. From my interpretation of this piece it's that, just plain old living is the best way for it. (literally me today when I sat outside in the sun just reading for half the day) I loooove your diction- I swear I always have to refresh my memory of the definition of a word lol. And I love how you add an exclamation mark at the ending of the biggest goal to show how deep that wish is. But really the ending is just beautiful and really perfectly describes that wish for just living and breathing. RE: Omg awww, don't apologize for giving me such an amazing recommendation list! I will definitely read all of those once I am done Life of Pi- which I just read like another hundred pages today and OMG it is the most beautifully written novel ever!!! I actually just posted a piece that's written a bit in that style and I'm not really sure what it reads like so if you could let me know what you think- that would be amazing! It's called, "Connected" You don't need to leave a peer review- just a comment letting me know if it's good or confusing would be amazing! And no worries if you can't cause you've already done a full-on peer review for me just yesterday! But I would really appreciate it since you write in that style and I would really love to be able to as well because I think it's just so breathtaking!

• ~wildflower~

Gosh, this is beautiful. The metaphors create such a strong, unique ambience that I don’t quite know how to describe. The heart wrenching ache for the dream that you describe is just breathtaking, and almost tangible. My favourite part is the last paragraph, but the entire thing is just wonderous.

• lifeasamusical

I love how desperately melancholic this feels, especially with the fragility of the scarecrow & its relationship to the quilt that you're using as your imagination, how one stays withdrawn while the stuffing spills out of the other. Really brilliant & beautiful!

Dang this is incredible. Just so desperately beautiful.
    "With a body like mine, it’s worth the futility. I’m nothing but a scarecrow anyway. And confined to a sweaty bed, where else do I have to go but inwards, outwards, into the dreamworld?"
    Oh you captured it so well... wow.

Wow. this is beautiful! Your word choice, your style, the vocabulary--it's like almost poetry, but still prose...I love it, I love all these ideas!