Peer Review by gabimarie (United States)

Rivers (READ MESSAGE BOARD)

By: ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

I like to think that our souls are like rivers.

One day, they may flow freely, rushing through, around, over, and under various obstacles, splashing water across the land and even into other rivers. They babble and churn with life, racing through the forests, zooming across the countryside, speeding over hills and into valleys without slowing down or coming to a halt. Some rivers may be murkier than others, but some of that gets washed away.

Other days, our rivers may be more like streams, commonly overlooked and missed but having so much to offer. Still, the streams are quieter, not as lively, maybe even more despondent or depressing. A lot of streams, unfortunately, have dirt and rocks clouding and contaminating them. 

Our rivers may also feel like lakes, still and seemingly boring but calm, peaceful, and serene. We can bring so much to others without them fully knowing. While lakes do not move and do not contain the life that rivers and streams have, they are clean, fresh, clear, and special.

On the dark days, our rivers may feel like streams that are frozen over, cold, and still, possessing many particles of grime and waste. No one trusts the stream that is frozen over, as the ice could crack at any moment and burst, and send forth a great rush of frigidity and pain. For some, their river is like the frozen stream more often than others'. 

Finally, some rivers are streams that have a layer of permafrost overtop of them, permanently halting their movement and trapping every bit of bad inside. They feel lost and hopeless, like there is not any chance of saving them.

Yes, our souls are like rivers.
That is not necessarily a bad thing sometimes, however.

To me, a river means guidance. Following a river downstream is a key tip if you need to find shelter or something similar in the wild. Similarly, your soul guides you. 

Yes, I am highly aware that you may not know who you are or what you're doing here right now, and your river might be a tiny little trickle of water that barely pours at all, but listen.

If your stream is starting to freeze over, melt it. If the permafrost is too strong to melt, take an ice pick and hack away.
I am highly aware that this is much easier said than done, and your river or stream may feel too small and too frozen and too dirty to fix, but I urge you to try.

You got out of bed this morning and you are still here. Your river or stream or creek or brook or lake began flowing this morning, and that is something to be proud of. 

Look into yourself. Ask yourself what made you get up this morning, find it in yourself to use that to your advantage, use that to get your river flowing, use that to help your river guide you.

You can do this.
Rivers don't stop forever.
All streams eventually become a part of something bigger and empty into rivers.
Even rivers who seem like they are all by themselves travel into the ocean and join with others. 

Rivers flow.
Rivers are forever.
Don't let ice or dirt stop your river from flowing.

Sigh.
I know some people who are going through some stuff, I wanted to write a piece for them.
I tried my best here... I don't have much personal experience with this kind of stuff, no hate please.
Again, I tried.
Sending lots of love to anyone who stumbles across this. <3

I love the overall metaphor; the way you use rivers and ice to describe us and our struggles is so profound.

I wish you had expanded on the last two paragraphs. I love the idea of a river emptying into an ocean, and how that is like our purpose.

I really liked this piece and the message behind it. The metaphors were so profound and beautiful!