Starlitskies

Sri Lanka

She/Her
17
INTJ
Reader and Writer
Feminist
Coder

Go check out my WtW twin sister Zirong! She's amazing!

Scribble Chums with remi'sgotinkstains, useless :) and em wilder.

est. 26 Oct 2020

I know I didn't exactly stick to the prompt, but I really enjoyed writing this. :)
Hope you have a great day/night! <3

Stolen magic

Write about the first thing you see when you close your eyes. (by Lata.B)

When I was six and afraid of the dark, my mother bought me a set of glow-in-the-dark stars. She fashioned them into a constellation on the ceiling above my bed. The star-scape was plastic, but as the distance between night and day grew, they transformed into something more; utterly magical. I still slept with the lights on, but the stars served a purpose too: they kept my nightly wonderings company. In the light, they were faint and off-white. I linked them into patterns with my eyes.

When I was nine, my family moved out of the house and into an apartment in the heart of the city. Someone brought the stars back to earth, and one by one, they went missing from our palms, but my sister, she held onto one. Eight years later, yesterday, she handed me that one star. It was less ethereal than I remembered; just a five-pointed plastic star, dim and brittle in my hand. Someone had stolen its magic. I knew I'd lose it to earth again, so I put it up in the sky, above my bed. 

I'm not afraid of the dark anymore, it's my ally. Last night, when I turned off the lights, the star shone against the dark, finally fulfilling its prophecy, glowing in the dark. When I closed my eyes, it lived in that darkness, ephemeral under my eyelids. The star hadn't lost its magic. I had.

True story. Now I have a single glow-in-the-dark star on the ceiling of my room. It's fascinating how life was way more magical as a kid. It seems I've lost a lot growing up, but I guess that's what happens with everyone else too...right???

1

• remi'sgotinkstains

this is SO beautiful and just honestly true. I can totally relate, although my journey was different, but I used to be terrified of the dark, and now I like to sit outside at night and look at the stars and moon and feel the cool breeze play with my hair, slide down my face. lovely piece! how are you doing? All the love--Remi.

• Zirong

oh yea and the next line is "if there's any kind of god, it wouldn't be in any of us, but just this little space in between." :D

• Zirong

This is...so beautiful... The ending made my heart ache... now I've added this piece to my notes after reading it thrice in a row :)

I think we do lose a lot as we grow up, but we also gain more knowledge and experience, meet more people, and perhaps make better decisions. I guess it's just that the magic is not as obvious, or is transformed into other forms, and we are no longer as imaginative. This piece actually reminds me of a line in Before Sunrise(though not directly relevant, I still think it's nice to mention it here :)) -- "if there's any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something."

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Thank you so much! And for all your sweet comments. This piece is spectacular btw:)

• Tachi

re: hm.. sound like a perfect way to live...

• Ellington Stone

Aww, this is amazing!! I love the story behind it, you could totally use it as a prologue or something.
    Re: Haha, thanks so much. That means a lot!

Re: Thank you!
    Aw you're welcome! And no worries. :) <3 <3 <3

• Ava Marie

Re: thank you! Your comments helped so much!!!

• useless :)

re: aw thank you! your comments are always so kind :D
    yeah. i'm currently in a writer's block (again), which sucks, but it just makes it that much better when inspiration comes back and i can write again.
    oh no haha, remi thought that too, guess i should've phrased that better. i was helping one of my friends edit their youtube videos. (i said 'hehe' bc it was my first time trying and i sucked to begin with XD. now i have the hang of it, i think)
    i've always wanted to make one too, but i feel like i wouldn't put in as much work as i'd have to. editing takes soo long
    also, this is beautiful and bittersweet, like anne said. it's a bit sad thinking about it, but yeah, everything really is much more magical when you're younger. i always get nostalgic thinking about it lol. (is that written correctly? much more magical...idk haha)
    the last line ends the piece on such a true note. although sometimes the inner five year old in me still gets excited because of the littlest things ;)
    anyway, great piece!

• Ava Marie

I meant to do this earlier but somehow I didn't end up doing it, but I did post a new version of my story that you peer edited. Thank you so much again, it was so helpful!!!

Oh, this is bittersweetly lovely