Picture?width=128&height=128

Isabella Meneses

Memorable Opening Day In Los Angeles

After an amazing 2014 regular season ,winning back to back National League West division pennants, the Los Angeles Dodgers were on top of the world and favorites to win the World Series in 2014. However, after losing to the St. Louis Cardinals in the postseason for a second year in a row and division rivals the San Francisco Giants winning their third World Series in five years, the Dodgers were ready to start new. Hiring new General Manager Andrew Friedman in the offseason, Los Angeles was ready to see changes to their starting line up. All Star secondbase men Dee Gordon, who lead the majors in stolen bases in 2014, and pitcher Dan Haren were traded to the Miami Marlins in a three way trade with the Anaheim Angels for veteran second basemen Howie Kendrick. Shortstop Hanley Ramirez signed with the Boston Red Sox in free agency leading the Dodgers to acquire veteran shortstop Jimmy Rollins from the Philadelphia Phillies. After having a few holes in their star talent starting rotation the Dodgers signed free agency pitchers Brandon McCarthy and Brett Anderson to the team. However the Dodger's biggest trade of their offseason was homegrown Matt Kemp to division team the San Diego Padres for catcher Yasmani Grandal. Now here we are Opening Day in Los Angeles, with reigning National League MVP and 3rd time consecutive CY Young winner, Clayton Kershaw on the mound ready to give the Dodgers and fans of Los Angeles a brand new start.

With the anticipation of the Dodger's new starting line up, Dodger's top prospect, Joc Pederson, making his debut in center field after a productive spring training, Matt Kemp's return to Los Angeles in a different jersey, and huge free market pick up for the Padres, James Shields pitching , it all gave this opening day the perfect script. Matt Kemp was welcomed back with a mixture of cheers and provided the Padres with the first run of the game in 1st inning. After both teams going back and forth and going into the 8th inning with a 3-3, the Dodgers need some spark and Jimmy Rollins did exactly that. In the 8th inning with Andre Ethier and Joc Pederson on base already and with a 3-2 full count Jimmy Rollins hit a three run homerto lead the Dodgers to victory. Nice way to make your mark on a new team by getting a curtain call on his first day. Top of the 9th inning  and temporary closer Chris Hatcher comes in to get his first save of the season and the Dodgers go ahead and win 6-3  ,from homeruns from Adrian Gonzalez and Jimmy Rollins and an excellent 9 strikeout performance from Clayton Kershaw, against the Padres in the first game of the three game series.

With a memorable finish to Opening Day the Los Angeles Dodgers look ahead to the rest of the season and hope to bring home a long anticipated World Series to LA.