Anne Blackwood

16
Theatre kid
Singer (soprano)
Poet
Twin (fraternal)
Spoonie
Disfusive
Highly Sensitive Person
Living oxymoron
Kindness Krusader: Blueberry cotton candy
XXFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine, ambivert

Joined 1/16/20

I'm also going to post a separate piece with the exact same text as this but with tons of tone indicators in it so you guys can see how they're used. Here's the link: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/220303/version/461325

Tone indicators! | An informational piece (please read to better communicate on the internet)

5

Hey guys! I'm here to break down a handy little thing called tone indicators. A little context first. Everyone knows that it can be hard to understand what people are saying when they're on the internet. Text on a screen doesn't always convey emotion very well. People have tried to solve this issue with the use of emojis, capitalization, and things of the sort. One extremely useful tool is tone indicators.
    Tone indicators are a little addition to a sentence, message, comment (etc) that indicate the tone that the previous text is trying to convey (it's almost like that's what their name says! lol). Some commonly used tone indicators are:
  • "/lh" --> light-hearted
  • "/p" --> platonic
  • "/srs" --> serious
  • "g" --> genuine
  • "s" --> sarcastic
  • "j" --> joking
  • "hj" --> half-joking
    Now, you may be thinking I've never had much trouble understanding people, even on the internet. I don't need to use these dumb things. However, please hear me out. Many autistic people have expressed how incredibly helpful tone indicators are for them. Autistic people can have trouble understanding the subtleties in conversation. When we use tone indicators, it makes it much easier for them. I do not have a diagnosis of autism, but I actually find myself experiencing similar confusion, and tone indicators have made it a lot easier for me to communicate effectively.
    To sum it all up, the internet is hard, especially for autistic people, and tone indicators can help all of us understand each other with much less hassle. Please add them to comments, footnotes, and other spaces on the internet when your text is less than straightforward. Thank you! I love you all!
Phew! That wasn't very easy to write. I don't think explaining stuff like this is my strong suit. /lh /g
Autistic people: please please PLEASE tell me if I've said something rude or inaccurate here. /srs /nervous

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Hey Anne! I saw the whole Jacob thing, and not to sound eavesdropping, but I was reading some of Twinkling Lights pieces and saw he was targeting you, I don't want to get involved, but you are amazing! I agree with Ibex though, the fact that his mom did it makes it a bit weird cause it's a bit hard to click on pieces and copy and past them everywhere on accident...
    Anyways, I don't want to get any more involved, but I don't think you did anything wrong and I'll vouch for you :D

Re- (/srs) I know, Your always nice to me so why would you be different to others right?
    (/lh) well, I gotta go to sleep! Goodnight!

Haha wait lemme try these out
    Re- (/lh)I don't even know anything!! Just wanted to spread positivity!
    (/srs)But I did see comments on his piece, I don't know I feel like he just got attacked by so many people and that can hurt. But I totally understand your point of view, I just wrote my comment based on the tiny parts I saw.
    It's okay tho your not at fault for anything <3

• nolongeractive

Re: Did you unfollow me?

• Ibex

re: awesome. have a good night!

Great thinking here! It would I think decrease problems!
    but to the comments down below PLEASE don't talk about people like that. If I were him and pressed on this piece I would be rlly sad bc of the comments.
    Please keep it positive:)
    Sorry I don't mean to intrude anything...just needed to speak my mind!

• Ibex

and i forgot to add this to the last comment, but the fact that he keeps blaming his mom makes it even weirder
    *shrugs*

• Ibex

i feel like this is such an important piece for us internet peeps.
    also, i didn't really want to jump on the whole songwriter train, but
    a) i agree with Twinkling Lights; something seems off and
    b) confused or not it might be just a good idea to drop the whole thing?
    i don't really know what happened (obviously the piece isn't up anymore to go check) so i can't really give advice, but i feel like that seems the best course of action. i don't know though; your call, obviously.
    i'll share a smile too :D

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

re: he just posted another one and I am definitely starting to get confuzzled

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

Oh this is cool
    also, the songwriter guy, Jacob Houston (or something like that) something about him doesn't feel right and I can't place my finger on it. almost like he's an adult or something, idk
    I read his pieces and I love them but something is just...off
    and I saw your comment and just
    erjbflaksfbl confusion
    here's a smile:D
    get back to me maybe?
    also I LOVE ALL YOUR WORK