Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

I am a senior in high school. I have been on WTW since 8th grade. I am a Christian and am politically conservative. I believe that I can be friends and love anyone despite their beliefs. The world needs more love and encouragement, be that change.

Hey guys. My writing seems to be life lessons in a way because I have a tendency to write about struggles or love in my poems. My goal is to make sure no one feels alone because despite your circumstances or your issues I promise you people love you. You matter. God loves you. God wants what is best for you. If you ever need a support system message me on here. I know life is really hard right now but we are all fighters and we can get through this.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"Shoot for the moon and if you miss at least you will land among the Stars"
-Harry Potter, Maze Runner, Divergent
-Workout obsessed

My Life As A Novel Chapter Three

19
    When I think of summer the first thing I imagine is sitting on a beach and the sun hitting my face. Although I have not been on a traditional beach trip with my mom's side of the family in two years, I longed for that week of July to sit on the beach and soak up the sunshine.
    Ever since I was little I have been an early bird to a certain extent. I believe I get it from my parents who do not have the ability to sleep in. Sleeping in for my parents is around seven thirty. I know shocking right. I can just imagine your mouth dropping open as you read it. Sleeping in for me is around eight... quite odd for a teenager. My favorite part about going to the beach with my family was being one of the first ones awake. I loved having the living room area to myself or the breakfast area to myself. With no one in the kitchen I could fix breakfast and then sit on the balcony enjoying the rays of sun hitting the ocean and the sound of the ocean washing into my ears. 
     When I eat my breakfast on the balcony I typically see my dad on the beach and wave to him. It has been a tradition since I was little for my parents, uncle C and grandparents to rent umbrellas and chairs instead of providing our own. My dad goes down to the beach around seven or eight o'clock to lay out a sheet and our small beach chairs so that the workers who set up the rental chairs and umbrellas know where to place them.
    Once my dad gets back up to the condo I hurry to get my swim suit and sunscreen on. I am a strawberry blonde with extremely fair skin so I basically get sun burnt at least once or twice throughout the whole week because well red heads and sun just don't get along. Once I get down to the beach I typically lay on a sheet over the sand and read or I sit in the shade under the umbrella in the comfy rental chairs. 
    When I was younger my cousin O and J would boogie board with me in the ocean. Over the years shark sightings and attacks have increased at the beach we go to therefore making me less interested in the ocean. It also doesn't help that I have seen the movie Soul Surfer five thousand times. I loved boogie boarding as a kid. I would hold the board to my chest and throw myself into the water. I also loved to jump waves with my cousins and parents. I can not remember a beach trip that my dad did not lose a pair of sunglasses in the ocean. Every year like clock work he would lose a pair of sunglasses, I in fact lost a pair one year too.
    Since I now stay out of the ocean I like to play in the sand more. Two years ago I painstakingly made a five foot long turtle out of sand. Turtles are one of my favorite animals. I remember shrieking my head off when two days later some little kids destroyed my turtle that took my dad and I four hours to build. The turtle had seashells for a nose, eyes and mouth. I must admit though that the turtle's head did look like a moose like my cousin O said.
    After I get my beach time I then go to the pool with my cousin O. Most of our day is spent in the pool. When we were little we played mermaids but now we play alligator, Marco polo, chicken color and sometimes do stunts. Yes I know what you are thinking... but Madelyn all of those are still kid games... I am aware but they are fun so leave me alone. We also will lounge in blow up floats from bass pro. Until someone pops my blow up chair... it has happened several times.
    For lunch we eat on one of the four balconies of our condo or my mom brings us down food. I must admit I now love eating on the beach better even if I consume some sand because it helps me stay on the beach longer. Around four o'clock we call our beach day quits, but we stagger shower times so typically O and I get to stay out longer than our parents. Once all of us are ready we go out to dinner together. My favorite place is this BBQ place because their BBQ and chicken is so yummy but they also have skillet desserts. If you are not from the south you have probably never tried a cookie or brownie skillet, which is unfortunate because they are good.
    We also do quite a bit of shopping when there is time. We go to the two malls (we only go to the smaller mall because of the bass pro), the Tanger outlets, Broadway and Barefoot. Every year until the age of ten my grandma would take O and I to Broadway to Build A Bear for us to build a bear. I loved that tradition and wanted to continue it but apparently it is frowned upon for a eighteen year old to build a bear.
    Throughout our beach vacation my parents let me choose one fun thing to do, meaning we take a day off from the beach. The last fun thing I chose was the upside down house. That fun thing was very enjoyable but it made me very sad that we could not play laser tag because the lines were backed up so bad. Instead my dad, cousin O and I did the indoor high ropes course.... and I had a panic attack. I must confess I am scared of heights but I am stubborn so I am trying to conquer it by doing things like High ropes courses. Cousin O went over a wooden bridge thingy on the highest part of the course that she told me she struggled with and that it made her uneasy and she couldn't do it. Being the person I am I wanted to show off and show her that I could do it. I got halfway on when I looked down and regretted my decision. I soon started having a panic attack and hypervenlating. It got so bad my cousin had to get my dad who coxed me off of the obstacle like a scared puppy.
    I have loved my beach trips with my family over the years and I can not wait for whenever the next one is. Although O and I don't put on large clothes and dance in the pouring rain under the rain gutters like we did when we were four... we do still have a good time. Well when we get along but that's life. 

• Jasmine khawar

I loved this chapter!
    And my dad also loose a lot of sunglasses everywhere he goes XD

• Awesome Sienna

I love all of these. I have very fair skin too, so I always have to be putting on that sun screen!

• anonymous_123 [Child of God]

I didn’t finish this yet but I am! Anyway I am an early bird too. Sleeping in for my parents is actual around 7:30 and for me 8 haha I find that funny! And I love having the living room to myself!

Haha actually sleeping in till 8am is late for me. I aspire to be able to do that consistently. XD and my mom is even earlier than me.
    Your writing is soaked in family and memories and nostalgia. It feels warm and cozy, and I’m honored that you’re inviting us to see that world.

• Tushar Mandhan

re: oops my bad! XD

• Jason_claire :)

This is amazing! It brings back memories of my beach vacations.... :)

• Tushar Mandhan

8 pm wow! that might be my dinner time :P also beach sounds so fun!!

• ChimChim_1

OoOo I luv da beach

LOL for me sleeping in is at 8 too. (except I get really tired so I usually do sleep in lmao) "and the sound of the ocean washing into my ears.' Beautiful! Oh I've never tried skillet food before; it sounds delicious! Ach you build bears if you want to! I always wanted to as a kid, but I never got to doing it. This sounds so fun! Can I be notified?

• Rohan’s Defender

Wow... your family has such great times!

• BriRiley

Yay! I love going to the beach! Does your family have a beach house? This is so fun!

• Abigail Faith

On my goodness!! I've been to the upside down house too!!!!! (I won't say where, cause you didn't) ;)
    But let's just say, that's the BEST place!! :D
    And I was literally crying tears on the ropes course!! My cousin went once and they said she cried too. It is soooo high up!!
    Love this piece!!!!! :)

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

This is literally my week over the Fourth of July (except I still surf/boogie board/bodysurf) and when I was younger I LOVED it. I still do it sometimes instead of surfing when my leg's acting up (old injury so I have to be cautious)

• SamRose

Love it! I'm definitely reading the next one! :)

• Coolgirl2020 (LOVE YA ALL)

This is adorable! I mean, I'm not a fan of the beach, but you made it sound fun and amazing! <3 Love this!

• serein

Aw this is so good. We just went to the beach and now you're making me miss it haha.
    Lol I'm so afraid of heights too don't worry I get it :)

• xx carolina xx

re: i don't have anything for you right now

• xx carolina xx

re: actually, it's rosi. just changed my username. i don't really have any suggestions, seeing as you're telling your own story. do what you want ;)