Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

Thoughts? This is a rather think-y piece:)

Driving Through the Rain

23
It was hot in the car as we drove through the rain. Water ran down the windows, blurring everything except the already hazy glow that poured out from the street lamps. The broken droplets caught the light, transforming it into a watercolor painting. Vague but certain, this perfect representation defied the Heisenberg principle. 

Physics ceases to function after a couple hours on the road.  Nose pressed against the cold glass, you forget there is cement beneath you. The present is obscured by its continuous consumption. My mother had her hands on the steering wheel, her eyes elsewhere. I reached for the radio dial, but thought better of it. We hadn’t stepped on the brakes yet. That was music enough. We were flying with dream-like dissonance, our bodies separate from our movement. 

2

Ooooh I'm obSESSed with this ack gorgeous

• beth r.

" We hadn’t stepped on the brakes yet. That was music enough. "
    the picture you paint here is flawless. gorgeous work. i relate- there seriously is nothing better than going for a drive when your in your feels.
    re: gUrL i mean I'm guessing the answer is joyful? smh

• amaryllis

"The present is obscured by its continuous consumption." gah, your writing makes me want to be a better writer

• Cressa Roberts

re: I can't wait to read your other pieces! This is one of my favorite ones!

• Sophiascb

This is gorgeous. I love the contrast between simple lines, and really descriptive ones that are full of figurative language.

• BlushMaple

What else can I say except brilliant? Just brilliant

• Cressa Roberts

This is AMAZING! I love this part the most, ". I reached for the radio dial, but thought better of it. We hadn’t stepped on the brakes yet. That was music enough. We were flying with dream-like dissonance, our bodies separate from our movement."

• Starlitskies

I love this. It's different from your usual pieces but stunning all the same. The Heisenberg reference is beautiful too.
    "We hadn’t stepped on the brakes yet. That was music enough. We were flying with dream-like dissonance, our bodies separate from our movement." - I am in love with this! <3

• journal.scribbles

This is so incredibly beautiful. Wow. The imagery and the phrasing and everything- just wow.

• ScarlettLucian

This is really lovely.