Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

I am a senior in high school. I have been on WTW since 8th grade. I am a Christian and am politically conservative. I believe that I can be friends and love anyone despite their beliefs. The world needs more love and encouragement, be that change.

Hey guys. My writing seems to be life lessons in a way because I have a tendency to write about struggles or love in my poems. My goal is to make sure no one feels alone because despite your circumstances or your issues I promise you people love you. You matter. God loves you. God wants what is best for you. If you ever need a support system message me on here. I know life is really hard right now but we are all fighters and we can get through this.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"Shoot for the moon and if you miss at least you will land among the Stars"
-Harry Potter, Maze Runner, Divergent
-Workout obsessed

My Life As A Novel Chapter Two

26
    When I think of family memories the smell of biscuits and gravy fills my nose. There is one experience that is fundamental to my love of my family. I look forward to this experience every year. It is my mom's dad's side of the family, family reunion. 
   Now when you think of a family reunion you probably think of twenty-fifty family members gathered at a church for lunch or perhaps a small cookout in the backyard. But this is not how my family does a family reunion. Our family reunion is a weekend event. My parents and I arrive at my aunt M's house on Friday and my parents leave on Sunday. I typically stay at my aunt M's house until Tuesday with my grandparents.
    On Friday night when we arrive at my aunt M's we are greeted with family in my late aunt F's garage. The garage has tables set up in it to eat at, fill with main course foods and fill with desserts. After everyone greets each other we have a roast, mashed potato, homemade biscuits and green bean dinner. After dinner I typically hang out with the cousins around my age who are already there. Sometimes we play in aunt M's huge backyard together or we play trivia crack on my ipad, or heads up, or cards, or mexican train, or perhaps fooseball.
    Anyone who does not stay in the extra rooms of my aunt M's house or in my late aunt F's house that we kept in our family, stay in a small hotel about fifteen minutes away or stay at a comfort inn about thirty minutes away. The crowd is small on Friday and sunday because Saturday is the main event. After my parents head back to the hotel on Friday and Saturday night I typically play with my cousins on the back porch or in the living room. I used to stay at the hotel with my parents and sometimes rode with some of my cousins who stayed there as well. Around the age of twelve I asked my mom if I could sleep in the empty bed in the room at aunt M's that my grandparents stay in. I wanted to be able to spend more time with my younger cousins B and A whose room was beside my grandparents. My mom agreed which has benefitted me by giving me more cousin time. I only see most of these people once a year so it is important me to cherish my time with them.
    Staying at aunt M's also aids me when it comes to Saturday morning breakfast. Aunt M and Aunt N make homemade from scratch biscuits and gravy. They also fix around 9 pounds of bacon and some sausage. We also have fruit salad and casseroles. And of course you can't have a reunion breakfast without some of Uncle D's home grown tomatoes or my paw paw's strawberry jelly. By staying at Aunt M's I can smell breakfast being cooked... although I am typically already awake and downstairs due to excitement. Since the kitchen is below my bedroom I can eat breakfast in my pajamas, with bed head and without makeup on. Although I usually try to have my makeup and hair done I do like eating in my pajamas or other clothes so that I do not stain my reunion day clothes. During breakfast sometimes I sit through many tables. At Aunt M's house she only has one kitchen table that we make sit eight people. We use the eight places to cycle people in and out through breakfast. I have sat through three tables before... ooops.
    After breakfast I put on my clothes and go outside. I hang out with my cousins on the porch or outside until time to decorate the grass lining the driveway with American flags. While the men put up the tent used to sit under and eat under for reunion time at two, the "kids" help aunt J place flags all around. Our family is very patriotic due to a decent amount of our family having been in the military. Since reunion is in August it is close to Fourth of July and because of this and my family's love for our country we decorate with red, white and blue. 
    Until lunch time I play with my cousins and listen to a family member give a devotional. From two to five we can have as many as one hundred people in aunt M's backyard. We only have three bathrooms for everyone to use which can be an issue. Many people drive up just for Saturday. We have family that come from ten different states just for reunion. 
    I have an uncle and some cousins who are in the ministry field. My paw paw and his living siblings will choose who does the devotional for that year. We all sit under the tent for the devotional, we saw the pledge of alligeince to a huge flag hanging off of aunt M's garage and we sing America the Beautiful. This process probably takes around a hour. We also remember our family members who have passed, announce important life events such as marriage and graduation and announce the birth of children.
    At two lunch is ready. The oldest family members go first but the adults set out pizza for the younger kids to snack on until we can get through the line. My favorite foods to get is my dad's chicken and dumplings made with my late aunt F's recipe and my aunt J's smothered burritos. For dessert I can never go wrong with aunt D's peanut butter pie and cousin A's banana pudding. Sometimes I go through the line twice the food is so good. Typically I eat lunch on the picnic table on the back of aunt F's porch with my cousins.
    Around four the cousins all go to the local park together. Our group is typically small around ten to twenty. It is about a eight minute walk from aunt M's house. When I was younger I would ride my scooter to the park. Now that I am older sometimes I give the younger cousins piggie back rides. Once we get to the park we stay around thirty to forty five minutes. The park has swings, slides, seesaws and other things I do not know the name for.
    After we get back from the park a lot of people head home. I stay at aunt M's and hang with my cousins A and B until we eventually go to bed. When we were younger we would have a talent show in aunt F's driveway when she was still living. While I hang with my cousins I love to hear my older family members tell stories, like the time uncle D fell down a hill and busted his eardrum with a stick leaving him partially deaf and in need of earing aids.
    Sunday Morning we all have leftover breakfast from Saturday. Sunday is filled with many tears and many sad goodbyes. I watch my parents leave and I sit on the porch with my grandparents. From Sunday to Tuesday I just sit on the porch and listen. All the people my age are gone and I can take in all the stories. I had an aunt F who was blind and who had so many stories she would tell. She loved her ice cream and naps.
    Unfortunately I could not go to reunion this year because of covid 19. We had to cancel it since we all share bathrooms and such. This was the first reunion I have missed in eighteen years and the first my mom has missed in forty four. I love my family and can't wait to eat biscuits and gravy with them this August.

• Awesome Sienna

Wow, i love it! So many beautiful memories.

• The Ravenclaw Dragon

Wow. I also have family reunions, but we have them usually once every two years and they are usually one and a half weeks to two weeks. This year we had to push it to the next year, so it's not like we are skipping it, more like we are delaying it. This was really good. Your clincher was perfect. Keep on writing!

This sounds so picturesque and crazy fun. Like I can practically smell the food and feel the homey-ness and comfort. What an amazing family reunion. I’m so sorry you had to miss it last year!

• anonymous_123 [Child of God]

Wow—- it was very lengthy but wow yeha I wish I had family renunions in a way because it’s really special but everyday at my house it’s like a family reunion lol

• Tushar Mandhan

these stories are very touching and interesting Madelyn!<3

• A. Penderwick

Once again, this is incredible! I can feel your love for your family seeping off the page, and I can totally imagine all your cousins running around. I also think the way that you just did first initials worked really well, because it didn't take away from the story, but allowed you to keep some privacy.

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

WOW! Thai is so amazing... your family sounds so close! Thank you so much for sharing! (And now I’m hungry, XD) I love this!

• ChimChim_1

Re: Yay UwU

• _Delphiruns2theocean_

Oh my gosh! I can relate to something like this except it's a week at a rental house up in Tahoe, and my uncles who live in PV when they have a big bday. I really missed this over Fourth of July (my uncle pays for all of it, we go tubing and wake boarding and swim in the lake), and I get to see my also HUGE family, whom I love. Cause of covid we've also missed this, I may write a piece on the good times like this. Keep me posted, loving it!

Re: (awesome!) Could I be notified for this please? This is so lovely! That's so sad you missed it though :( I used to go to a conference with my family in America every year; we had never missed one! I'd been going pretty much since I was born, but it was cancelled last year, and this year we'll probably miss it cause I'm Australian :(

• Coolgirl2020 (LOVE YA ALL)

Awwww, this is so beautiful! <3 I enjoyed the lovely picture you painted! Thank you! ^-^

• happygiggles

This is so sweet! It also talks a lot about food, making me hungry! I’m off to bake bread now xD

• Minvra

Did you have to start out with food? I'm hungry now D; and the event is every weekend? Jeez. You have a big family. I don't know half of mine. I only know so much as my baba's mother and father. Or my mom's aunt or mother. I remember how I jumped from table to table. I get pretty restless and I don't usually have kids my age around lol.

• SamRose

Re: Yeah, our family reunions are in Utah usually and for the last few years my uncle and his family have been living in Germany. I think it was so their little girls could grow up surrounded by a different language? And my aunt just moved to Israel for a year for her job, so there probably won't be a reunion this year either. XD

• serein

O my your family seems so close!! These reunions sound so fun it must have sucked for it to be canceled this year. I don't know but for some reason this made me nostalgic for something i don't know. Anyway, great job, and excited for chapter three!!!

• SamRose

This sounds so fun! My family hasn't had a reunion in ages, due to both my grandparents on one side having passed away and people living really far away (like Germany) on my mom's side of the family.

• BriRiley

Re: Thats good :)

• ChimChim_1

Re: Wow, your family reunions seem so cool!! may I get notified when you make your next chapter?

• BriRiley

Oh nooooo! That’s so sad that you missed a family reunion. :c but it sounds like you guys have a blast! We have family reunions but our family isn’t nearly as big. XD