Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Scare-Crow-God

1
Handful by handful I excavate my scarecrow God from His grand old tomb. It’s sweaty work, unsatisfying and granular. 

The difference between Giza and Gaza can be measured in meters of sand. And a storm is coming. We have picked ourselves raw, exposing the flabby honesty of our corpse, the patterns the worms have traced in our flesh. 

Blowing dandelions with machine gun certainty, clay-stained hands, fingernails scraping drought-parched land. I wish date-trees bowed to passion. I wish the world was more than damned. I wish Jesus were a man. 

1

Wow- another beautifully written piece! "flabby honesty of our corpse" like wow! Just amazing ways of wording things! RE: aww thank you! And ooh cool! I, on the other hand just use exclamation marks all the time for no reason lol! And haha, no, that comment wasn't written bad at all! Thank you so much for more awesome recommendations! I'll definitely let you know what I think of them once I get a chance to read them! Thank you so much!! :))