anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (rosi)

Child of God
logophile
athletic nerd

Female
Soph.

see this piece as its own on "musings: how are we?"
i've loved learning new words, like nadir, psithurism (i don't think that's right... oops) and... "lsjutivare?" "lisjuvitare?" ack sorry that's not right
thanks so much for 150, you wonderful people ;)
if you feel like it, check out my piece "Letters on Kindness"
if you ever feel really bored... well, pieces i always appreciate reviews on are my songs. any of them. or none of them. whatever, it's cool. <3

#words (new username challenge!)

17
sonder fell upon me today
as i watched the cars pass by
where are you going?
where are you from?
do you ache for something more?

anemoia strikes in all its faded glory
like the daguerreotypes of gentlemen in top hats and waistcoats
or photographs in sepia tones
that highlight the vacant stares of men in boater hats and suspenders
grainy film reels of
the boys with the slicked back hair,
behind the wheel of a red convertible Mustang
wasn't it simpler?
is there something beautiful about the past?

i endeavor to make time for ambedo 
to watch the fragile shoots of green battle for survival
in desert sand and rock—the size of a freckle, yet they claim their right to live
how do you fight so hard
for something that will be snatched from you no matter what you do?

that delicate and dangerous moment of opia
when you meet someone's gaze 
with unnerving intensity
like the person across the street at the stoplight
or the cashier in the store
or the person that you're acquainted with and should probably say "hi" to and yet you don't
and you freeze
and it's over
why is it so hard to look someone in the eye?
how vulnerable must i be?

vellichor, in its wistful tranquility, haunts me like a friendly ghost
pleading with me to escape
fall into a thousand new worlds 
each more beautiful and terrible than my own
infused with the irreplaceable aroma of yellowing pages and a sense of belonging
where each book waits to be chosen and cherished 
how could i ever leave?
can i spend eternity among these old friends?

that blasted adronitis, when all you want is to know someone
yet time and circumstance prevail like a gate, barring you from further passage
can we skip past small talk and feel truly alive?

the exhaustion of being in a room full of useless anecdoches
he said, she said, no one listened
but perhaps all they wanted was to say it 
to expel the words
even if no one heard them
do you care if someone listens?

when you drop consistent semaphorisms, but no one picks them up
you're crying out the best you can
without being forced to say that
you need something, someone
why don't you hear my aching?
i need to speak; can you open that door for me?

sometimes you search relentlessly for la gaudière
like anne shirley, restless until you discover some glimmer of treasure
weren't you an innocent once?
didn't you do kind things?

speak to me and i will listen when chrysalism overtakes me
thunder, what do you mean?
raindrops, are you okay?
wind, can you hear me too?

this heartwormit frightens me
lingering in the recesses of my mind
i thought he was long gone
why does he still haunt me?
why can't he leave my head?

the gravity of xeno cannot be dismissed
anything to keep the loneliness away
people need people and
the smallest glance, nod of the head, hint of a smile
is all it takes
don't you know that i'm here for you?

i choose to believe in meliorism
"he belief that the world can be made better by human effort"
maybe it balances out with the darkness humans create, but
what if we all believed it?
what if we all made one person's life a little better?
do you think our lives would be in vain?
Hello... the new username challenge is here! Since it's really too early for spring, I decided to go with something completely non-seasonal until spring arrives: #words. Short and sweet, this username challenge (why is it called a challenge?) simply means picking your favorite word/words as your username. This piece only contains a few suggestions from The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows. I don't think I can link it, but I highly recommend you check it out. Just search for it. All the words in bold come from the DOS with the exception of meliorism, which is a "real" word.
Let me know in the comments if you're participating! Again, just pick your favorite word/words and add #words to it. They don't have to be long and complex; they can be fun words too! (if you're changing your actual username, you may want to put a note in your bio/message board with your former username. You can also put your #words username in your bio/message board if you don't want to change yours!)

• BriRiley

Ooo, sounds fun! I’ll put it on my page somewhere XD

• Tushar Mandhan

'Spelling is fun!' XD yup after reading a dictionary so elegant and complex yet so smooth

• psithurism

re: Oh my goodness gracious, thank you so much! You're so kind and helpful! <3

re: hey so i thought it over and im going to receive some money for the best review and i was thinking i could donate it in your name to whatever charity your choose because i really feel like you did most of the work here. i would be totally happy to do it would be a gift from me to you.... so you can think that over and let me know. i'm still reeeeeeeeling lol. just let me know. oh and thanks so much for your comment on my poem! it's true, blunt imagery can add so much like you said. i just am so lucky to know u erin because you are bubbly and kind and just i dont know.
    <3<3<3

ahhhhhh! okay well erin soooooo. first, amazing amazing poem word thing it made me so happy to read and i love how you described the words. words and language are so important and just one little tweak can changet he whole meaning. i especially love how you described opia and vellichor and semaphorisms.... the dictionary of obscure sorrows is just phenomenal and you chose a bunch of the best ones to describe.
    re: what!? okay well technically i didnt win anything at all because your song inspiried me to do a review and like when i saw the email and then ur comment i was kinda confused because it was such a long time ago when i wrote that review. im so glad it helped you write the song drafts it really was amazing and i'm kinda surprised that you and paisley and sunnydew didnt win something at least because your songs were the best things ever and i love them so much. anyway. thanks! thank you, really. obviously i couldnt have done it without you lol. well have a marvelous day . see now i feel kinda guilty if my review won but your song didnt? i dont know seems very unfair. i love your song. anyway.
    <3<3<3

• crow_e

ahhh dictionary of obscure sorrows....a very under-utilized writing resource. i love your anemoia paragraph's line breaks! "grainy film reels of/the boys with the slicked back hair,/behind the wheel of a red convertible Mustang/'wasn't it simpler?/is there something beautiful about the past?'" very well done!

OMIGOSH! I'm that you wrote such a lovely piece about Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows words. You included some of my favorites here. I also love the meantime, gnossienne, nodus tollens, kuebiko, adronitis, mimeomia, data organa, ecstatic shock, moledro, slip cast, hanker sore, lethobenthos and lalalia.

Re: Thank you!

• Livsnjutare

re: Thank you! I'm glad you like it, it took me a while to find the perfect word! I love your username, too!! XD

• Love, Rose

aghhh i love this idea - it is truly beautiful

• Just_A_Memory

Re: Unfortunately not lol. Woody was too... Chip didn't work... Bob? But the pickle has been named Bob, so that's ruined. Sorry, there was no context behind that xD

• psithurism

I really like this idea! I might make a separate account for a novel I'm writing, and if I do, I'll participate for sure!

Also Re: I'm so glad you liked the Fanfiction!!! I just published a new version, with more people included!

• løne wølf [semi-hiatus]

i didn't leave a comment about the poem when i read it at first but i feel the need to, because this poem.. is strikingly stunning. i love how you incorporated all the words! the italic questions in each stanza are short yet convey such deep meaning, and they leave room for contemplation based on the definitions before that. amazing work! <3

p.s. for the username prompt, if anyone is struggling to find a word, there's one my friend found: "cornobble", which means "to smack somebody with a fish". yes, i know how ridiculous that definition may sound, but it exists. if you would like to use it, feel free to! :D

re: thank you so much! i looked up the two songs and listened to them; i agree with you, they are wonderful :)

Ahhh! There are so many words I love!! There is literally a whole website of them!!!

So, I'mma update my bio every day with a new word. Let's see how that goes :)

• løne wølf [semi-hiatus]

i am definitely participating; this is great! the word i chose may be a little too simple though .-.

re: thank you for your kind words! <3

• Livsnjutare

Oh! I am definitely doing this! Great idea!

• Just_A_Memory

Actually, screw it. To the Username it goes

• Just_A_Memory

I'm doing this! I'm not changing my actual username (Because everyone gets thrown off when I do that) But it'll be in my bio! :D

• Rohan’s Defender

Wow! This piece is incredibly written! I love the last part about if we each made someone’s life a little better. Wow!
    Awesome idea about the username! Hm... I’ll have to think about what I might could do... but I’ll let you know what I come up with!