FastOceanLove

Delphi (DJ and Dee sometimes..?)
female
soccer & surfer 4 life
feminist
christian
californian
way 2 competitive
bit insecure :p
ocean lover
gryffindor
defy all stereotypes being a blonde female
surprising, romance novel lover ;)

Go check out some of my amazing friends
~rain~
kathryn siena (help her reach her goal ;)
Goal:140 followers by July!
Quotes
"My coach said I ran like a girl, and I said if he ran a little faster he could too" -Mia Hamm
"Young girls are told you have to be the delicate princess, Hermione taught them that you can be a warrior" -Emma Watson
"Women belong in all places decisions are being made" -Ruth Bater Ginsburg
"You alone are enough, you have nothing to prove to anyone"-Maya Angelou
"I wish women would stop apologizing for those very things that make us women"-P!nk
"There are two powers in this world; one is the sword and the other is the pen, there is a third power stronger than both, that of women" -Malala Yousafzi

The "Gift" Of Being T A L L Vs S H O R T (credit to SamRose for the prompt)

13
T: The leg space is very limited
A: Always asked to grab something from a high shelf
L: Learning to duck constantly to avoid head injuries
L: Listening to the annoying advice to try out for basketball

S: Sadly referred to as slow because of short legs
H: Help is always needed for the high shelves
O: Oftentimes not being able to go on the amusement park rides
R: Really, the crowds are the enemy
T: Told younger than really are

Tall versus short,
tall is always longed by short people
short is always longed by tall people,
pros and cons are weighed out,
and dying younger is an actual myth.
Short means
front seat is a battle,
tall means
people hate you at movie theaters.
If you aren't a basketball player
but tall,
you get disgusted looks.
If you're fast
but short,
you get looks of shock.

When you're tall you're more prone to the saying
"Oh, the gift of being tall! 
You're so lucky!"
When you're short you get either
"Oh the gift of being short,
you have so many advantages!"
or the
"Oh you're so cute!"
Just because you're short
doesn't make you
adorable,
cute.
Just because you're tall
doesn't make you
an awesome basketball player,
lucky.
People make assumptions
based on height,
but you can be short
an amazing basketball player
or you can be tall
and not be interested in running
or basketball.
Short or tall,
they're meaningless labels,
in the long run,
it doesn't give you an advantage.
I'm tall for my age, because when I was little I skipped a grade, but for my actual age I'm very tall. For my grade, I'm on the shorter side, so I experience both stereotypes. When I'm with family, sometimes they comment on how I'm so tall and am I playing basketball? But when I'm with, let's say, my class at school in PE, my teachers get all surprised I win in the running stuff. I think both of them have equal advantages and disadvantages, and there's more than I stated. Let me know your thoughts, or if you experience a type of stereotype being tall or short, or if you have any thoughts on the topic at all! Also, SamRose gave me the idea for the title :)

• February 19, 2021 - 10:06am (Now Viewing)

• lucyyyy

I love these acronyms! The piece so accurate. I’m short for my age, and my head has become a permanent arm rest for my taller friends. I’d love to grow a little more, but I know that the tall people around me just want to shrink a little. The grass is always greener on the other side! But seriously, my head is a literal arm rest.

• serein

why is the short so accurate?!?!?
    I used to be quite short (thank goodness I grew a little) and we used to go to this Mexican restaurant. They provided crayons and coloring sheets and plastic cups and straws for the little kids, and i ALWAYS got them because even though I was in middle school, I looked A LOT younger. The worst part was I am a twin, and although I very short for my age she was very tall for her age. Anyway, to make a long story short, i one of the boys i am friends with nick-named me "baby cup." it was great.

• GraceWritesTheWorld

THANK YOU! People always think that I should play basketball. JuSt CaUsE I'm A gIrAffE DoEsn'T MeAn I wAnNa PlaY BasKEt BAll!

• Booklover12

I can totally relate to both as well! I’m a tall girl for my age, but compared to some of the boys I’m considered short. Amazing writing, I could really see both sides of the argument in this.

Re: Thank you so much!

re: excellent! i look forward to seeing your favorite word/words!!

• Livsnjutare

This is very super good! Great piece! Both sides are so true!

you did a great job on both sides of this! i'm 5'1" and desperately would love one more inch. i don't want to be tall, just average. but im pretty sure ive stopped growing so i thank God i'm over 5 feet. for running, i prefer distance anyway, but i do have short legs and a long torso, which is annoying just for looks. but if i were taller, vb would have been less of a struggle. but everyone wants what they don't have, to some extent.

• mindfruit (hiatus)

Wow, great piece! As a short basketball player, this piece really resonated with me. And so I absolutely agree with the message that height, in the end, doesn't define you in any way :)

• SamRose

Re: I LOVE this! You went into way more detail than me. :) And I am TOTALLY that 5'9" girl who stinks at basketball and has no interest in running. XD And hits her head
    (and every other part or her body) on everything; but that might just be because I'm clumsy. ;)

• Starlitskies

Thank you thank you thank you! You tell em sister! I'm always made fun of because I'm short. I'm often overlooked and underestimated and it get's so annoying at times. Like why the hell do you care about my height? Personally, because I'm often ignored, I try really hard to be noticed, but that just exhausts me cos I'm definitely an introvert. I really needed this, so once again thank you! You're a great writer, keep on being awesome!

• Kasilee

Re: I dont mind at all if you use the idea, I love inspiring others with ideas for writing its like the whole reason I even get up in the morning! Plus your an amazing writer!!!

• BriRiley

I love this! You put some really good points! And everything is written beautifully! XD

• Kasilee

I'm like neither short nor tall, so thats fun. Lol, but growing up i was always the tall girl in the room and I hated it, I've finally stopped growing now and alot of those short kids r taller then me now, but the pain of always being the "older one" cuz I was taller still lingers.
    Love this piece tho, u did an amazing job representing both sides!

• Just_A_Memory

YES! I'm happy to see a second part by someone! The points you made were very true!