Paisley Blue

he/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

i told the stars about you

now i know minnesotans are insane -

my family went out this weekend to go see a bunch of giant kites that people were flying on this lake. only minnesotans would suffer through -17 degree weather to stand on a frozen lake and see giant pieces of fabric in the air.

okay but the giant whale was really awesome.

train station

27

-    endless    - 

we used to joke about getting on a train,
    riding the rails until we met the sea
        and she took us in;
remember our plan, hide out under the seats
until the conductor passed us by? we
    read stories of stowaways and dreamed
of being people we knew we would never be.

-    the yellow brick road    -

the air smells like the sunrise as the sky
    (in the reflection of the dirty glass)
lightens to a dusty pink;
and ribboned through the ceiling is the sound
of an old loudspeaker
    *last train to a place far enough away
        that you can pretend to forget being here at all*
and out of the window train tracks stretch towards the horizon.
maybe you’re somewhere along the way;
    maybe you’re waiting at the end.

-    boarding pass    -

since when did my heart beat in time with the swaying of a distant train;
    since when did it leave me with bile in my throat and
you imprinted on the rims of my eyelids?
since when did I move on without you?
    (since you moved on without me).
the landscape blurs outside the windows and
    i promise i’m not crying 
        (this time)

-     nightfall    -

the gears shifting and grinding has become
    a lullaby;
when it’s too painful to think of you i
dig my nails into my palms
    (so i can see the moon-shaped marks)
and the stars dim.
    i’ve met the sea and she didn’t know you

so i’ll teach her your name and forget it all the while;

inspired by em wilder because she is amazing :)

re: bahahaha don't apologize!! luckily, it's spring break this week so i can rest a little!

re: yes!! it's pretty much been this since the beginning lol. funny story, i changed it on my phone but i disliked how it looked but i lost the original image so i just switched my pfp to a more agreeable one lollll. but ty! i'm glad you like it!

i always love your poems!! school's been kicking my butt but i'm always lurking even if i don't show up on the dash ;)

this is insanely beautiful. i'm so behind on everyone's writing on wtw bc i've been so busy these days ack but seriously, trains and stuff like that give me serious nostalgia. i love this sort of writing so much, it's so enthralling. i adore the subtle rhyming in the first stanza as well. and the air smelling like the sunrise ahhh this is seriously breathtaking in the purest sense of the word. beautiful <3

• Mespotz

Aaaah I'm a Minnesotan too lol

• Karma’s_Coming

Heyo, I can’t quite remember if you wanted to be notified or not (my memory jumped in the garbage disposal) so if you don’t want me messaging you just let me know, but another part in the Reagan and Caspian series is published if you wanted to check that out. Have a lovely day (or night) :)

• Sophiascb

Ok but how is this so amazing! It's so well-rounded and the ending has such a finality that is so satisfying and sad at the same time. I love love love, "when it’s too painful to think of you i dig my nails into my palms (so i can see the moon-shaped marks) and the stars dim." The relationship between the nails, the moon, the stars, that relate with the rest of the piece is beautiful. ;)

• xx carolina xx

• SamRose

Re: Wow, taller than me! And ya, I totally have the same problem with finding pants that fit. XD I am just used to my pants seeming cropped all the time.

re: yes, being a person... it's messy and beautiful and complex. i love thinking about things like that. i know, we were liars is amazing! the end! oh gosh, i was flabbergasted beyond belief... glad u r good. life is fine. it just keeps going.
    <3<3<3

• psithurism

re: XD

• psithurism

re: AND AFTER AAAAALL

• Caleb Urlacher

wowie

• GertyGerty

This is incredible!! I love everything. It's all so elegant and the imagery is clear and evocative. Very powerful stuff!

• xx carolina xx

• McK13

re: thank you so much :)

re: we went to sacramento on the train, ca's capitol. the destination wasn't all that fun-- it was so hot when we got there and crowded and we didn't pack enough snacks (i remember eating grapes outside the capital building in the blinding sunlight lol). the journey was fun though. i dont remember much other than playing cards on the train. yes, i love that people are always trying to be people. like no one knows what the definition of being a person is you know so we are constantly trying out new things and experiencing. i love being a person lol and i love that my writing is influenced by all these marvelous people on here. oh oh oh i am so happppy because i went on a walk this morning and and and i found two books on the side of the road with a free sign-- mrs. dalloway which i've been wanting to read and we were liars which i've already read but love so much because its so sad and beautiful and its basically written in verse. and they are both hardcover! ha gosh i'm so weird that finding books makes me happy. and yes i will totally reach out if we need an editor! we most likely will and i cant think of anyone more qualified. and it would be so so so good to get to know you more outside of wtw. alright have a good day and stuff!
    <3<3<3

• kathryn siena

re: oh god. I wish you luck in your survival in the artic! and I think 40 degrees is cold!

• kathryn siena

re: wow. that's cold. I would not survive!
    this is amazing! I love boarding pass.

• barelybear

Eeeehehhehehe thank you!!
    I love the nightfall one btw :)

• Dmoral

okay but, this, this is youthful. the structure was perfect and unique, brilliant in short. i loved the "read stories of stowaways and dreamed / of being people we knew we would never be" cause it gave me such a nostalgic and longing feel. like, i don't read books like i use to and not even the same type of books (i heavily read classics now--which i love don't get me wrong--but i do miss certain dystopias and fantasies), but i get this feeling. i remember when i was in middle school and lived off such dreams reading about my favorite main characters. then there's the heartbreaking "since when did I move on without you?" which just, it hurts. a good hurt, but like, makes me reflect. you put the pain bluntly and beautifully. then, my favorite stanza, with the lines "dig my nails into my palms / (so i can see the moon-shaped marks) / and the stars dim". the transition and the way you worded that, how each line followed so meticulously after the previous,,,,,how can i not love this? also, "i’ve met the sea and she didn’t know you" like hot damn, what gave you the right to give me goosebumps? i'm kidding, except for the goosebumps part. the hollowness of the line when you think of it, but like, the emotion and the, well everything. lastly, "so i’ll teach her your name and forget it all the while;" is haunting and a ending i'll never forget. it's amazing, truly <3

• nolongeractive

This is such an amazing song and I really relate to it. You have so much talent - I am in awe of you; you give Ariana Grande a run for her money. If you maybe have time to peer review one of my songs, (the one I submitted for the competition is called 'Gatekeeper' - best of luck in the competition. Much love!

re: ive been on a train once, it was a 3 hour ride and we left early too, at like 7, and we had a whole car basically all to ourselves. this was 4 years ago i think so i don't remember it that well... it's funny how we moved from horses to trains to cars for transportation and never really went back... kind of sad. i never get tired of this poem though and read it for like the 5th time. viktoria elessar is actually ray's (her real name is rachel) pen name. she'll probably join wtw soon in like 2 months or something when she turns 13. i think youll really like her ;P (hahahehaheha semicolon). yeah whereas my semicolon style is kinda my own thing, my line breaks are modeled after your style. all of your line breaks are so effective and powerful-- poetry is as much the words as the silences inbetween. thanks for that lol. alright homework calls what fun... have fun happy day yay!
    <3<3<3

• River Rae

First off, this is amazing. And on a random side track Minnesotans are crazy but in the best way possible. And again, great piece.

• ANSON REYNOLDS

... *brain explodes* ...

okay sorry the comments jeez but really this is stunning and brilliant and no adjective exists right now to sum this up thanks for this gift paisley

"riding the rails until we met the sea"
    "and dreamed
    of being people we knew we would never be."
    "and ribboned through the ceiling is the sound
    of an old loudspeaker"
    "maybe you’re somewhere along the way;
    maybe you’re waiting at the end."
    *then i quote all of "boarding pass" so scratch my last comment that's my fav stanza*
    "grinding has become
    a lullaby;"
    " i’ve met the sea and she didn’t know you
    so i’ll teach her your name and forget it all the while;"
    basically quoted your whole entire poem but gosh i am awe i am amazed gosh i want to read this everyday of my life all day the talent! the details-- i'm there on the train adn the tears and the rocking of the trian (like a boat going out to sea) and hguiewoqdj i love this so much that i could never say how much.
    <3

ahhhhhhhhhh i don't know how to feel... the imagery first of all and the emotion my god ella this is one of my favorite pieces every little detail is there and wow inspired by me?! okay then i wonder how? and your message box hahaehehehaha oh wow what an adventure! that is really cold too. must have been pretty though. but this poem! gonna read it again...... okay hi back better the 2nd time! "yellow brick road" and "nightfall" are my favorite stanzas but really everything is beautiful and this is so bittersweet and a very aesthetic concept i might add. ooooh oooh ohhh i came here because saw the love letter thing published and read urs so congrats! mine is so not good.... it's not a poem so yeah well.
    re: hahahrhhehehahgoghaha when i strike awe into you and all you can say is amazing! thanks so much, i worked hard on that one and rewrote it many times. means so much to me it really does especially coming from you. and yeah i think semicolons are my thing. it took me a while to find it but here we are. i love that they signal more to come you know so nothing is ever truly over right and yeah i guess that's it. well have a tremendous dayyyyyy and say hi to the lake and kites and sky and sun for me!
    <3<3<3

• psithurism

re: It was actually me lol. My head was resting on Lily's leg and she thought I kissed it so jokingly I actually kissed it.

oh my gosh this is gorgeous. ella, its been so lovely to see your growth as a writer.every piece i read of yours, is better than the last.oh my gosh its so beaitiful. i love your pieces more and more.hou are one talented writer,and i can see you blooming.

I am unintintelliglbe this morning (it's kinda still morning lol) but this is amazing

• xx carolina xx

re: yup, robert's a king, lol

• xx carolina xx

ooooo.. great work

• rwong

oooo i really really love this the whole story line but poetic and the flow and alkdfjal;dfj yea ok i love this
    time to check out mir's i'm sure it's as amazing as you say it is <3 <3

• The Elephant In The Room

Loved it! You created an amazing story and you told it very well. Amazing!

• Yellow Sweater

You really are an incredible writer, technically and conceptually. This piece is precocious and poised, yet passionate. And the formatting is very slick. It highlights, rather then distracts from your brilliance.