Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

I would love some help with this! Harsh critiques are very much welcome. It's for a screenwriting class I am taking through Running Start.

The Journalist, 1919 (Screen Play Adaption) (TW: Some Profanity)

4
INT.  A NEW YORK SALOON, 1919.  NIGHT 
The camera follows a young woman, SARAH, as she enters a grimy underground saloon. She is dressed in a fashionable silk dress, a feminine peacoat, and she is clutching a small purse inside of which is stashed a wallet and notebook. The bar is poorly lit and filled with male revolutionaries who are drunkenly discussing politics. They glance suspiciously in the direction of the young woman as she makes her way to a table. With affected confidence she pulls up a chair. An OLD MAN already seated at the table smirks. 

OLD MAN
Where’s your picket? Shouldn’t you be fighting to participate in your precious democracy? 

SARAH
My democracy? It has too many frills for my taste.

OLD MAN
(laughing) 
Just as well. It’s all coming down. 

SARAH
All of it? Why not just cut it’s frills?

OLD MAN
The whole thing rotten to the core. Corrupted by capitalism.

He bangs his fist on the table, then leans back in his chair. 

OLD MAN
(Yelling) 
Down with the capitalists! 

The room erupts with cheers. Sarah sighs.  

SARAH
And what will be our role in this new order?

OLD MAN
You shall take your rightful place beside us! As long as you are willing to leave behind your silks and lace.

SARAH 
So this is all going to culminate in another crusade against culture?

OLD MAN
Ha! Fashion isn’t culture.

SARAH
Then what is? 

OLD MAN 
Ideas, philosophies… 

SARAH
Things that propel us forward towards an unreachable goal. Culture is about enriching the present. Something fashion can do much better than existentialism. Why must we move in a straight line! Straight lines aren't very interesting.

The OLD MAN scoffs, turning back to his drinking partners. Rolling her eyes, SARAH stands up and pushes in her chair. She walks to the bar. 

SARAH 
A scotch neat please. 

The BARTENDER scowls, pouring her a glass. She pulls out a notebook and settles into her stool. 

SARAH
So, what are your political opinions? What are you passionate about?

She downs her scotch, pushing the empty glass towards him. He refills it, mildly impressed. 

BARTENDER
You seem to be passionate about your scotch. 

SARAH
I am. I am also passionate about hearing people's opinions…

She grabs the bottle of liquor and pours him a glass. 

SARAH
Particularly their political ones. Though, I suppose most opinions are political. Come on, what do you think of Woodrow Wilson, the League of Nations, Lenin, immigration, female enfranchisement? 
(Chuckling)  
 Prohibition? 

BARTENDER
I don’t believe in clear-cut opinions, too dualistic. I weave my ideas into my novels.

SARAH
(derisively)
Really? 

BARTENDER 
(embarrassed)
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t write allegories. But I do believe a story should have a point.

SARAH 
To have a point there has to be a counterpoint? It's that... well, a little dualistic?

BARTENDER 
Hmph! a theory then.

The camera zooms out to show the whole raucous bar as they continue their conversation. From a distance, we see Sarah make another joke and the bartender give a good honest laugh. He pours her another glass of scotch. 

FADE OUT:

INT. SALOON. MORNING
Sarah is lying with her face pressed against the polished wooden bar. Early morning light and the smell of hot pretzels is streaming through the open windows. She yawns, slowly opening her eyes. 

SARAH 
What the fuck’s the time! 

BARTENDER
Language, my lady! 

SARAH
What’s the fucking time. 

BARTENDER
Ten after seven, I am just opening back up. 
(Smirking) 
You should grab one of those pretzels after you settle your tab. 

She sits up, triumphantly waving her notebook which was lying next to her on the bar. 

SARAH
It was worth it though. 

BARTENDER 
(pointing to the notebook) 
What exactly was that for? 

SARAH
I’m trying to understand how today's revolutionaries think. And as an outside observer, I was hoping to maybe offer a bit of an objective perspective.

She picks up her bag. 

SARAH
But really, I was just looking for freedom. I just wanted to be a man for a little while. 

Ok the 1919 got me hooked immediately. And journalist? I sense goodies... and I was right. This was filled with sweeping historical references, a witty lead, eloquence, and gorgeous outfits.

• journal.scribbles

re: Yes lol same! I finally met my next-door neighbor's new dog, and apparently my siblings made s'mores with a different neighbor? It stopped snowing for a bit, but now it's snowing again; hopefully it's compact enough to sled now! :)

• Nikki

wow, the emotions in this are strong and raw and liberating. the ending adds a great punch to it. i enjoy the anger coming from it. beautiful!
    re: haha true. david is a cutie! and, thank youuuu :3