snavier

Hi! I'm a singer-songwriter and playwright from Australia! :-)

spaceman

SONG LINK: https://soundcloud.com/user-467096973/spaceman

(Spoken):
It is 3 days since last contact with Earth. Current location: somewhere in space. It’s dark out here.

Verse 1:
I’m feeling spaced out as of late
Floating through cosmic space
Lost touch of time now I’m one with the asteroids 
I’m  hiding  from my responsibilities
So I can have deniability 
I’m just gonna keep floating here 'til I run out of breath

Pre-Chorus:
I’m sorry, what did you just say?
I’m in a permanent daze
I’m further than the clouds
My mind's in outer space

Chorus:
I’m a spaceman
Lost and spacey
Ground control’s lost control of me
Been missing them lately
My mission’s grown foggy
And my memory’s fading
I can’t remember what any of these stupid buttons do
They  tell you his glory 
But really, a spaceman’s just lonely 

(Spoken):
I know I was sent out here on a journey of scientific exploration or whatever, but I’ve spent the past few days tossing random stuff in the air just so I can watch it float. I feel like I’m doing God’s work out here… Christ.

Verse 2:
I'm watching Earth through spaceship glass
Best view in the universe, I guess
But there could be a war and I wouldn’t know
I miss the days when I used to know
I miss my friends I miss my life

I even miss all of the strife
At least back then I felt alive
At least back then something felt right

Chorus:
I’m a spaceman
Lost and spacey
Ground control’s lost control of me
Been missing them lately
My mission’s grown foggy
And my memory’s fading
They  tell you his glory 
But really, a spaceman’s just lonely 

Bridge: 
I'm a spaceman, lost and spacey
I can't remember what any of these stupid buttons do
I'm sorry, what did you just say?
I'm feeling spaced out as of late
x4

Outro:
I'm a spaceman 
In writing 'spaceman', I wanted to represent to listeners my experience with disassociation and feeling disconnected from my life -- particularly in these turbulent times. I wrote from the perspective of a spaceman radio-ing back to Earth to figuratively describe these emotions. I have implemented a mixture of sung and spoken lyrics (as well as samples from the NASA archives) to tell this story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did writing it! :-)

2

Oh also, nice to see a fellow Australian!

"They tell you his glory
    But really, a spaceman’s just lonely" Beautiful! This is really awesome! This feels like watching a movie or reading a book; it's so clever how you add in audio and spoken words, it really shows your theme. Your voice is really good, and you got those low notes! Maybe when you do sing the low notes, sing a bit further away from the mic so it sounds a bit less breathy? Congrats on being a finalist!

• astrea

awesome song, congrats on being a finalist!!!

• doodleninja

i absolutely love how you used the metaphor of a spaceman to convey feelings of disassociation, you executed it wonderfully! lovely lyrics :)

• useless :)

i freaking love this wow. it's so so unique and beautiful. the spoken lyrics and how you overrode the sung lyrics with nasa words (idk what they're called lol) was so cool. i definitely haven't heard any song like this in the comp. actually, i haven't heard a song like this period...and gosh i loved how you were able to change the tone of your voice (idk much about music but i think yk what i'm talking about haha) like when singing "i'm in a permanent daze"...and i absolutely love the message too. it was so relatable and portraying disconnection with an astronaut in space is so clever. oh and the bridge...I LOVE IT. saying, "I'm sorry, what did you just say?
    I'm feeling spaced out as of late" was such a good addition. welp. sorry for going on this rant but i absolutely love this if u couldn't tell ;)
    also, if you plan on sticking around after the comp, here's a tip. to reply to someone, go to their profile, click on one of their pieces, and leave a comment starting with "re:" or "replying:" to indicate it's a reply. good luck in the comp!!!

• ChimChim_1

I used SoundCloud once, but I could never get my beats to catch up. You did a very good job!! and welcome to WtW