Yellow Sweater

(Formerly Zinniav)

I'm 17, interested in linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, theology, and history.

She/ Her | Bi | Disabled | Agnostic | Useless Intellectual | WA

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions.

I would love some help actually making this fit the prompt. I am planning on adding another paragraph at least, so there is definitely some room to work. I would love to hear your suggestions!

Dead Books

Junior year I filled up a journal with the corpses of memory. Now, the red, leather-bound cahier is full. But my neatly labeled, black and white composition books lie stacked up on my desk, never opened, empty with the memory of corpses. The last image I can clearly picture is spring fading into summer, green grass withering. I was catching up with my own heartbeats.

I used to think my pens were precious. I kept them in a forty-dollar vase from the Bohemian store downtown. But I doubt Ginsburg kept his pens in a vase, I doubt he had forty-dollars to spend. It’s true my poetry has gotten better now that I’ve forgotten about AP Calc tests, now that I treat my pens like dirty socks, now that I only write about dead things. 

No, I only write about things, components, abstractions, the tedium of perfect souls. A couple days ago, I was asked to write a poem about a tree, but I could only summon the rain. I could only fuel the fuel, not the fire. I am drowsy and jittery. Hungry, hungry, stuffed full like a corpse.
Not entirely sure if this conforms to the prompt. But it's what came up. True to form, both the emotion I was indirectly referencing and my extended metaphor were so abstract I am not sure if they even exist. 

1

• Ava Marie

This is really, really good. If you were to add another paragraph to help make it fit the prompt more, I suggest mentioning isolation. But, that's just my opinion and your an incredible writer so, do what you think is best.

• JonesyL123

Amazing piece! Love the line "I could only fuel the fuel, not the fire."

• remi'sgotinkstains

re: aww thanks so much! I'm so happy you liked it! ;)

• xx carolina xx

ziniaaaaa this is so pretty

p.s.: i just got on winter break, so i'll start picking up the pace with my end of the collab ;( I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN I PROMISE

• remi'sgotinkstains

I can feel and see so clearly, whether it's what you are trying to portray or not . . . you suck me in to your writing. You really really do. ;)

• aaliyahh

Oh wow, the use of words is absolutely amazing, your so talented!!

• BlueWolf (Semi Hiatus)

I love this!!!! I relate to so much! It is such a brilliant piece!!!!

• Asteraceae

I'm intrigued by the descriptive language. It makes you try ot look deeper into the poetry to look for the meaning. Nice work!

• Sophiascb

Love this! I'm not sure how to help you conform it to the prompt, but sometimes the prompt can just be an inspiration. I really relate to what you say here, and "The last image I can clearly picture is spring fading into summer, green grass withering. I was catching up with my own heartbeats." Is an amazing line.