Paisley Blue

he/they | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

the sound of rain

This poem was submitted to Ice Lolly Review (i haven't heard back from them yet).

Update: they accepted it (with a slight edit)!! :) hooray *clinks glasses of nonalcoholic beverage*

A morning with the sun

25

This morning when the sun rose,
[with dappled lights on the cherry blossoms 
and a touch as smooth as honey]
she seemed to smile at the sight of me
which sent my heart into thrills.

She lowered her head as the day
melted slowly into night, and i wept
to see her fade away so soon;
so soon.

Can I be beautiful like you?

Each night i look out at the world, 
and i see something to hide from;
veiled in the night, under the shadows
is something to be afraid of;
but

when the sun shows her face i decide
to be brave, i decide
to lift my arms and pray 
to the heavens,

let me be light, let me be light,
let me be light like you.

1

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa beautiful

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

3RD Chapter of EH is out:

• BirdofPrey

re: lol yes it always say female male or other, or just female or male (transphobes :p) but im sitting here like............i really have no idea at the moment

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

re: i know, like, who even is she? daniel radcliffe wrote hp- sheS juSt tryiNG to gAin clout

(a confession: i didn't make it past the first HP book)

• Jason_claire :)

Wow, that simile was amazing. It's so cool how many aspects of the sun you were able to capture in a poem of this size. I love the emotions that seem to bleed from the page and into my heart.
    replying- Thank you so much! You just made my morning by dropping that extremely kind comment :) Yes, I really like Snape's line because he seems evil until the sixth book/movie, but I wanted it to shockingly show his true colors early.

• beth r.

re: PAISLEY! thank you so much for your comment! omg you are so sweet :) I can't believe people quote my things lol. You're really a big role model to me- as a person and a writer.
    Thanks so much for everything!

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

re: Lorelai's pretty great, too. She's the straightwoman I guess.

Re: Thank you!

• Jasmine khawar

This whole piece is precious!! I love its every line.
    It's inspiring me!

Re: Okay thanks!

Re: Omigosh thank you! That means the world to me! Hehe I guess two years of songwriting class paid off. (also do you have any feedback? i value your opinion *see message board*)

• BirdofPrey

re: yep!

• BirdofPrey

re: it is confusing, i wish it was easier to figure it out

• BirdofPrey

re: oh im bi too!!! yeah there very accepting but dont really get it, but if my mom knew she said something transphobic she would be really upset with herself

• BirdofPrey

also why am i not following you yet??? ill fix it

• BirdofPrey

re: thank you so much! that means a lot. i normally use she/her but i also use they/them, but im not really out of the closet other than on this site yet. my mom thinks one day my gender will be magically consistent, because apparently that "what happens". shes not transphobic, but if i brought it up telling her that its kind of transphobic to say she would get super upset and defensive :(.

re: it is a tad sad! i'd hoped i'd be here until i aged out, but, well. things happen, i suppose! i still remember this place fondly, but everything looks so different now! your writing is still as lovely and luminescent as ever though! the mags i'm in right now are Perhappened Mag, FEED Lit, and Eunoia Review (although those last two are being published later in the month LOL.) i'm pretty proud of them since they're def more selective, but there's always more mags to check out! let me know how your lit mag journey goes, i'd love to hear updates! i'll do my best to check in here more frequently. and if you ever do get prose, we'll welcome you warmly! don't be daunted, we all def just have fun on there, LOL. thank you for the breather! i hope i get one too. and i know the last time we talked you mentioned school was crazy for you, so a breather for you as well, my favorite little sibling! stay safe and healthy!! mwah mwah! <3 <3

ahhhhhhh
    It’s so lovely, it’s ethereal, it feels like sunshine. “Sun” by sleeping at last influence, am I right?

re: oh my gosh i got back to you so late!! im so sorry dear!! i...admittedly, though sad it is, think i've left this site behind. i see that you decided to submit to ice lolly review, and thats awesome!! let me know how that turns out! so excited to see you in the lit mag world. i've been submitting to mags as well (and it's been hard since the selective ones really do give out rejections quite a bit, but it's so satisfying whenever i manage to get accepted to one!) so my time on here is really limited, and everything i write that im proud of goes unposted. is there any other place your writing is available? or that i can just leave you a quick comment to chat on? id still love to stay in touch!! (and i dont think you have twitter, but you can visit profiles from just a web browser, so if you wanna check out the nonsense im spouting not on here, im @sunnyvwrites on there!) i hope you've been doing well!! thank you so much for checking in on me, life's been crazy, but that really meant a lot. so much love! <3

• BriRiley

Even though I’m not Ice Lolly. ;)

• BriRiley

This poem is really good! You did great! I wrote a review, I hope it’s helpful. :)

• ANSON REYNOLDS

oh man... that was awesome. The italics "Can I be beautiful like you?" oh they were so perfect

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

Re: you have a lot of followers too.

• Madelyn (Carolina Girl)

This is beautiful. Your writing is so good. Keep going! Please check out my latest post.

re:, yes, totally fits! my friend ray (she actually got me into writing poetry last summer) is submitting a poem with three parts to the love letter thing which is kinda the same idea here. one is moon, one is sky i think tho maybe sun, and the last is stars. i put like 3 of her other books on hold at the library and cant wait to read them. i really want to read her boook a city inside but i can't find it anywhere, not even at my local bookstore. guess i'll have to revert to amazon... have you read that one tho? i want to know it its worth buying. rn i'm actually reading the book thief for the 2nd time and ahhhhhhh i underline like every sentenceeee! have u read it yet? it's so beautiful and intense and the metaphors, my gosh, i love every part of that book.
    <3

• doodleninja

this is so sweet and inspiring! i love the little story you wove in going from "Each night i look out at the world / and i see something to hide from" to the last line of "let me be light like you."
    wonderful writing! :)

this is so sweet. the fourth stanza is my favorite and the last stanza i almost sang along to because at first i thought it said "let me be right" like in one of the sal songs (it's not pluto is it? for some reason i think it is.... oh it's sun, right? wow, how fitting!) this is such a happy poem and i love it. did you submit to the love letter thing or issue 7? and exactly what rosi williard said.... <3
    re: ahhhhh thank you! i actually read one of tillie walden's books because a while back you recommended her. it was so good! emotional and all but the drawings! not like any graphic novel i've seen. also the color palate for are you listening? (which is the one i read) is just spectacular. it made me cry by the end.... thanks for that rec. i could totally see my poems drawn in her style. <3

• Rose A(hiatus)

ANd don't worry about reviewing it!

• Rose A(hiatus)

Re: Thanks. ngl, I was so nervous about posting the link.

Also, I agree with rosi. Keep us updated so I know if I need to call my lawyer. ;)

• ~ carolina ~ {formerly rosi willard}

IF THIS DOESN'T GET ACCEPTED BY ICE LOLLY I'M SUINGGG-

• remi'sgotinkstains

ooooh this is so beautiful! "let me be light" . . . yes! ;)

• Caleb Urlacher

just the poem. the book is probably a couple of months out if not longer

• Caleb Urlacher

yay i finished it lol

• Caleb Urlacher

re: lol yeah. it's not that noticable though:
    i pine for a taste of omnipotence
    supine sleepless your nights
    of what happens after descending art deco elevators

• Caleb Urlacher

*meanwhile i try to figure out how the heck a sleepless in Seattle reference fits in my poem book's universe*

• Caleb Urlacher

woah lovely
    i like the little refrain at the end. the italics are a nice touch

• Quirky_Chaos

Replying——> thanks so much!!! So I think the next part will come out in a few hours and it will just be like a segue piece, that kind of is a break from fighting. It’s already written out, I just have to put it into the computer so it will be posted soon!!!:)

• Quirky_Chaos

Hi! I know it’s been a while but I just released the new Lennon Sophia piece!!! Hope you like it!