Starlitskies

Sri Lanka

She/Her
17
INTJ
Reader and Writer
Feminist
Coder

Go check out my WtW twin sister Zirong! She's amazing!

Scribble Chums with remi'sgotinkstains, useless :) and em wilder.

est. 26 Oct 2020

Just realized that this rhymes with Piña Colada! Haha! :)
I seem to have this ingrained habit of riddling my writing with subtle rhymes. It doesn't play as a strength when I want to write more serious pieces and even becomes annoying sometimes. Is it something I should fix? And if so, any ideas on how to fix it?
Hope you're having a great day/night! <3

Luna Dorada (Golden moon)

I stand where the waves meet Luna Dorada, sand soft and shells crackling underfoot. The ocean is ceaseless. Under a silent moon, it hums an ancient melody of dissonant notes to a magical rhyme. On this crescent beach, boarded on either end by tumultuous rocks, and filled to the brim with golden sand, for a second and only for a second, I feel my insistence evenly match the stars. The skies are an overworked epiphany and the horizon is a line stretched long and hard enough to be a tightrope. I'll walk it one day. I'll walk it. 

Luna Dorada means golden moon in Spanish. I thought it would be a beautiful name for a beach that I visit often.

• Ava Marie

This is so beautiful!!!!!
    Re: Thank you so much!

• Zirong

re: awww your comment really made my day :) thank you so so much for your care and support! Also, I hope you can get rid of your writer's block soon! Tons of love <3 (btw, my March exams are coming so school is a bit busy recently, but I'll try to reply to you asap :D)

Re: Awww tysm!

• useless :)

my grammar kinda sucked there, srry haha

• useless :)

ahh this is beautiful. i also love the title, and "I stand where the waves meet Luna Dorada, sand soft and shells crackling underfoot." is just so serene. i really enjoyed reading the whole piece.
    also, the beach sounds gorgeous. i love going to the beach at night, since if you wan't to visit a peaceful beach during the day, where i live, forget it lol. even during covid there were an excessive amount of ppl at the beaches closest to me. that's florida in a vacation type area for u, i guess. this has absolutely nothing to do with the piece, but since you mentioned it in ur footnotes, i just have to. pina coladas are literally amazingg. i kinda have an obsession with them...idk. yup, that was random. now back to the piece...i read it a couple of times bc i just love it. amazing job :)

Re: Thank you! We're hanging in there. She has her second surgery coming up really soon, and I'm learning to live chronically ill. Yeah it's pretty cool. Thanks again!! <3

• Livsnjutare

re: Yes, it was that piece, thank you for your nice comment!

• Livsnjutare

This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I love it!!
    re: I was wondering if you could review my piece? Even a comment with constructive criticism would be fine. I really want to make it as good as I can!

• Awesome Sienna

Re: Thank you so much for your reviews. I'll be sure to let you know when I change some things around.
    I love your piece!

re: ah your welcome!
    and thank you for your comment, so sweet of you! Made my day :)

• remi'sgotinkstains

I love poetic paragraphs thingumajigs . . . is there a technical term for it? Zinniav does it a lot . . . I love this just as much.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Yes! I love constructive criticism!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: haha, I just realized I forgot to answer your question about snow! We do get snow, but only once or twice a year. Though there are lots of very tall mountains near where I live and those can like fifty feet!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: I got your email! Thank you so much:) I'll send you the essay right away!

So-Cal just a feels like a bit of a messy sprawl to me honestly. You have to sit in hours and hours of traffic to get anywhere. But there are also some amazing parts. It is so culturally diverse, and full of vibrant young thinkers. Unlike the tiny retirement town I live in. lol.

That is so cool you have looked into the five sisters. I was going to apply to Barnard, but I just didn't manage to get the app in on time. It looks amazing though and it's at the heart of New York city which would be incredible.

I am going to have to check out Zadie Smith! I have never heard of her before!

Yeah honestly from what I can most speechwriters have like a law degree from Harvard haha!

It does seem like diagramming atoms is similar to diagramming sentences sometimes:)
    Thank you so much for your support. I am learning to manage and I have had a lot more time to write since getting sick. Which is definitely one major positive.

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one going through the to publish or not to publish dilemma! Limiting yourself to prompts is a great Idea. I might steal it! Also it can sometimes help to have to deal with extreme constraints:)

It has been so much fun getting to talk to you! I hope you are doing well as well!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Sorry! I forgot about your request to see the essay! I am probably not going to post in on here yet because I am still hoping to get it published elsewhere. But If you still want to see it and you are comfortable, I could email it to you:)

• Zirong

Haha I noticed the subtle rhymes in your previous writings and I love them so much! They make your pieces even more poetic! So please don’t fix them, at least in your creative writings!

Also, this piece is brilliant! I’m not really a beach person but this piece makes me want to visit the beach! And if our fates allow, I would be more than happy to visit it with you :3 <3

re: again, words could not express my excitement when I saw your reply! However, since I’m gonna write a super long reply to your questions, which may be disturbing here(when other people want to read the comments they may need to scroll down A LOT to see the ones below mine XD), I much prefer an email! Do you mind exchanging emails with me now, instead of when I’m about to leave this site?

Wow... this is so ethereal and lovely. This beach must be amazing. You're so lucky to have it in your life lol.

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Thanks for your comment and your fun questions! I have never been to Hunting ton Beach, but I have been to several other beaches in Los Angeles. Personally, I am not a huge fan of So-Cal (Southern California) But it is nice to actually be able to swim in the water. Where I live the water is the same temperature of the water in Reykjavik. lol!

I don't have much to compare the college experience here to. But from what I understand we are famous for out "Liberal Arts Educations" Which, funny enough, is actually about pursuing more than one area of study. You are encouraged to take classes in a bunch of different subjects. As for the Ivy Leagues, I have family members who have gone and had an excellent experience. Personally, I didn't apply to any, instead I choose Uchicago as my big reach (and was wait-listed. haha) I would look into the Five Sisters. They are a group of selective (but not too selective) woman's colleges. I am actually applying to two of them: Bryn Mawr and Smith. From what I an tell they have top tier academics, beautiful campuses and really supportive communities.

First off I am really flattered you think so highly of my work, Honestly, I have plans for what I want to study at university (linguistics) But I have no idea what I want to do with my degree. I would really love to become a published author, but I am not sure I want that to be my main job. Lately I have been thinking I am going to spend some time in academia, then maybe beome an essayist. I have also had a funny little fantasy of becoming a speech writer. I love poetry, but it is SO hard to make any money from. I have no idea how the higher education system works in Sri Lanka, but here a lot of people double major. If you have time and energy, It would be so cool to major in a science and English. I wish more people had interdisciplinary aspirations like that. I mean of you think about it, chemistry is kind of like a language. And it's so cool when people integrate science into their poetry.

I don't really have a writing routine. I have a chronic illness which sucks the energy out of me, so I am kind of at the mercy of my body when it comes to doing anything really. I probably spend more energy writing and less on homework then I should:) As for your last question. I have struggled with that very question, wondering whether I should be saving my work or not. But I don't have the will power to stop myself from posting. I need the immediate gratification! haha.

Thank you so much for your questions!

Wow is this gorgeous! O my gosh you're making me miss the beach and I was just in Florida lol. This is just so beautiful. great job!
    And no you shouldn't fix the subtle rhymes!! That's what makes your writing special! Although I can totally understand not wanting that when you're trying to write a serious piece haha.