InTheNow

I like to write, so here I am.

Perhaps ideas on further delving into the perspective of parents of adolescents?

The Teenage Brain:

PROMPT: Borrowing Voice

1

The Teenage Brain by Frances E. Jensen, MD with Amy Ellis Nutt:

Too often we send them mixed messages. Too often do young adolescents take things as the truth when they are in fact  misunderstandings. Too often do they misunderstand the truth. But is this their fault? Often times parents assume that when their child enters the long journey into adulthood, e.g. puberty, that their teenager must be treated as an adult. But sometimes teens are not ready, are not prepared. Parents may assume their kids are all buckled up and ready to go, but in retrospect, they are afraid. Too often do teenagers believe they must grow up faster than they need to. This may be, in some cases, because of inefficient parenting skills, such as assuming things about now-hormonal teenagers. It's true; they can be confusing, they can take things to lightly or too seriously. But think about it: not everyone is ready for the long ride into adulthood. I know I wasn't, I still am not. But just because they are growing up does not mean they know where they want to end up, or who they want to be. More often do they roll off the railroad tracks and end up someplace they aren't comfortable with. And this. Isn't this how we all felt? How we all feel?                                                                        

But soon they'll be packing their bags, closing up the car trunk and waving goodbye. And they are terrified. They don't know where they are going to be in 5, 10 years. But no matter where that is, they are still prepared and willing to take that risk, that step into adulthood. And that's when you realize they'll be alright. That's when you realize they've grown up. That these kids, who just yesterday were eating mixes of apples and spinach and driving their small plastic cars, are now driving your old Chevy truck off to college, or to their own apartment.

Too often do parents send their child mixed messages. And too often does that awkward 15-year-old take a couple steps back. But then they soon take a greater amount of steps forward, then multiply that. The teenage brain is a curious, sometimes scary thing. But all in all, many parents understand. After all, wouldn't they like to stay a kid forever?

Whew. 383 words in 10 minutes? *grabs bag of pretzels from kitchen* I believe I deserve this.