Charles Oleander

charlie - he/they - 16
music | poetry | psych | 東方
the delicacy i strive to write with serves to hide the fact im permanently yelling
summer is a feeling i hope draws near soon~

hey y'all! my name is charles and this is my second time publishing anything to this site i hope this poem at least resonated with you a little bit! i wanted to express my feelings of lost and frantically grasping for answers in the same room for about a year now and i think i did so in this poem! i had a lot of fun writing it and prompts like this remind me of why i love poetry so much! have a wonderful day and i hope we can all bloom calmly in that spring's afterglow someday soon!

perennial sweet alyssum

frantically bloom in that certain spring room
whilst flurries glisten in a somewhat summer's heat
the autumn dew refracts to your leaved cheek
such a season never quite passes.

ingrain yourself in a wild honey
give a standing ovation with petaled hands
all to beckon for that spring's encore.

five too many seasons passed that year
all of which
felt wasted and drowned
in the sweltering winter,
continue to bloom passionately
to maybe become
unlike this inconspicuous season.
Alyssum is a flowering plant that is treated as perennial, it can survive a light frost and spreads in a small area around it's initial planted location, thus, tends to fade behind other plants.

• nolongeractive

I think that this might be one of the best pieces I have seen on this platform. It is so deep and meaningful in unexplainable ways, as it captivated with its descriptions of ordinary feelings that often aren't brought up in today's world. This is so lovely! Such relatable and special words. If you would like to review one of my songs, I would love more reviews on mine called 'butterfly sadness,' 'gatekeeper,' and 'motif.' Much love! Also, if you want editing or songwriting help [OR WANT TO COLLABORATE ON A SONG], please don't hesitate to reach out.

• mindfruit

Oh wow, this is amazing! I love how elegant your prose is, and there's just something so refreshing about reading your piece. I think my favorite part would have to be "ingrain yourself in a wild honey/give a standing ovation with petaled hands/all to beckon for that spring's encore." Really nice take on the prompt, and congrats on getting Wednesday Words. Nice to meet you, btw. I'm mindfruit! How are you liking the community so far?

• Mespotz

What a beautiful piece!

• Toikupu~estVehementChirography

I lobe the word "whilst"; I've never heard another person twist it into either their writing or their sweet small or big talk. And my second glance to the title told me that you had written 'alyssum', as in the flower, not 'asylum'!

• Parisienne

This is so beautiful, congrats on Wednesday words!! :D

• aalawrites

Well done! Love the piece <3

• astrea

your poem is beautiful! congrats on wednesday words!

• Zirong

Congrats! This is absolutely lovely!

This is gorgeous! Congrats on WW :D Welcome to WtW!

• McK13

Congrats on Wednesday Words!! This is such a beautiful piece with amazing imagery. You are such a talented poet and you completely deserve it :)

• addieelapin

alyssums are my favorite, this is lovely!

• Coeur

This is gorgeous! Congratulations on Wednesday words this poem is great!!

• Blue Jay

Congrats on Wednesday words! Amazing poem, it's very pretty :)

• sci-Fi

congrats on wednesday words!!

• Rose A(hiatus)

This is lovely! I love Alyssums. Sometimes my grandmother will plant them. Anyway, congrats on Wednesday Words! You totally deserve it! :)

• useless :)

ik i've already left a comment on this, but congrats on wednesday words, you absolutely deserve it!! :)

• journal.scribbles

*deserve it (Wednesday Words)

Sorry lol, just me overthinking and overclarifying my typo

• journal.scribbles

Congratulations on Wednesday Words!!! Wow you definitely deserve. I know I must be the millionth person to say this, but welcome to WtW! I'm so glad that such a talented poet has joined our community, and I'm super excited to read more of your amazing work!!

• ChimChim_1

Congrats!!! I can totally see why you won. Good job!! and welcome to WtW

• rwong

woahhhh congrats on wednesday words!! this is i mean like amazing. super well deserved

Congratulations on Wednesday Words!
    The imagery and metaphor in this are breathtaking.

Wow this is incredible! Congrats on Wednesday Words, and welcome to this amazing community! :)

congrats on getting Wednesday Words!! this poem is just as spectacular the second time as the first. nice job!! :)

• almost flora kane

"give a standing ovation with petaled hands / all to beckon for that spring's encore." stunning! this is great, i love the imagery. welcome welcome, i'm flora:) hope you're doing good!

• useless :)

oh my gosh wow. i didn't see this piece the first time i visited your profile...but this stunningly good. the imagery is so vivid throughout and is tied together so cohesively, it makes for a really beautiful poem. like caleb said, this is such a creative take on the prompt! also, welcome to WtW :)

i'm gonna second caleb's welcome - wow!!! you're an amazing poet, and i can't wait to get to know you through the community!! i see caleb's already told you how to respond to comments. if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!! the community is really supportive and nice. we all love newbies!! ;)
    as for this poem, this is stunning. oh my goodness!! i love love love the imagery of frantically blooming, and the lines "ingrain yourself in a wild honey / give a standing ovation with petaled hands" are my favorite, i think! it really gives the feeling of summer. keep writing - this is amazing!!! i'm gonna go check out your other work :) cheers!

• Caleb Urlacher

and you are very welcome :) the poetry community is really nice. not many people are on late but i'm sure you'll get to meet them. one of the best ways to is by giving them feedback and exploring different profiles and works.

• Caleb Urlacher

ah i knew i should check in on you lol. to have the other person get a notification that you responded go to their profile and comment on one of their pieces starting with re:

• Charles Oleander

@Caleb Urlacher
    hiya! i am pretty new here and i want to start posting more regularly, i don't know if im interested in publishing right now but im very excited to enter the poetry community and possibly extend my feelings to more and more people! your warm welcome was much more than i expected and more appreciated than you know so thank you for welcoming me so graciously!

• Caleb Urlacher

inject it straight into my veins. my gosh you are good. "five too many seasons passed that year" is an amazing line. really creative take on the prompt.

and you are new here? welcome! I'm Caleb. I can definitely help you if you want to publish (you should)