Writer

Aspen Gray

I was born in Chile, raised in Utah, and I hope to someday write something worth reading. Be kind, seize the day, and love fearlessly.

Let me know if you felt something, ANYTHING, reading. Grief, sympathy, confusion, boredom...

Thanks. I owe you one.

Sixty Seconds

2

BEGIN TRANSMISSION

[Tears glimmer on a woman’s dirty, bruised cheeks. She looks to be kneeling inside some tiny, metal compartment, looking into the camera, the faint blue lighting up her stricken features. The connection isn’t perfect; static occasionally ripples across the screen.]

Oh my gosh. This is happening.

I don’t even know how to start. I guess...goodbye. I never thought it would come to this. Anyway, I have to tell you..well, everything. Something. First: I love you. I’ve always loved you, and no matter what, I always will. And don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault. Okay? Remember that.

I...I didn't make it onto the escape shuttle after we split up. It was just me, trying not to get caught inside that warship. They found me. One of them came at me with a needle, and next thing I knew, I woke up here. Strapped inside this bomb...oh, gosh, David, this is really happening, isn’t it? I just hope this message gets to you in time. You gotta get out, David. Get everyone out. This bomb--it's coming. David...David...it’s not your fault, okay? I love you--oh, gosh, it’s happening. David--David, I love you! I love you so much! I love you. I--

END TRANSMISSION.

[Static.]

-My response to a prompt to write a story in three minutes.

• Norah

I think I cried, this is so sad and so beautiful! I love it, it touched me.